1 (edited by Jackal 2015-07-05 08:56:44)

Stuff needed:
- Xbox Backup Creator 2.9.0.425
- ss_sector_range_1.0e
- FreeCell 0.2-RC1
- abgx360 v1.0.6

XBOX 1 dumping instructions:

Instructions for Kreon drives:
- Dump the SS/PFI/DMI .bin files using Xbox Backup Creator.
- After you closed Xbox Backup Creator, press the eject button of the drive twice so that it will remount the Xbox partitions.
- Run 'ss_sector_range.exe SS.bin >sectors.txt' in the folder containing the SS.bin.
- Run 'FreeCell.exe Drive: sectors.txt' in the folder containing the sectors.txt.
- Now the Xbox game will be dumped to 'Track 01.iso'!

Instructions for 0800 drives (thx Starshadow):
- Grab Xbox Backup Creator 2.9.0.425
- On the Options tab, check "Build Clean ISO".
- On the Read tab, uncheck "Use Sector Mapper (Xbox One)".
- Click the Start button on the Read tab.
- A read error should occur shortly after starting the dump. This is normal. Check the box "Apply zero fill to all remaining sector errors." and click the "Zero-Fill Sector(s)" button.
- When the dump is complete, make sure that the log window reports exactly 65536 unrecoverable sectors. These are the security sectors. If the number is higher, this means there were actual read errors and your dump is likely bad.

XBOX 360 (XGD2/XGD3) dumping instructions:
- Use Xbox Backup Creator 2.9.0.425 with 'Build Clean ISO' option checked. XGD3 discs can only be dumped with 0800 drives.
- If a Kreon drive is used for dumping, mark SS as SSv1 in comments.
- If a 0800v3 drive is used, mark SS for XGD3 discs as SSv2 and SS for XGD2 discs as SSv1. (see note [1] below)
- After extracting the SS, run ss_sector_range on the SS.bin file to clean it and to obtain the security sector ranges.
- Finally, open the cleaned SS.bin file with ABGX360 and copy the text that is shown after "SS CRC =".

To see all the required information when submitting your dump, just look up some existing dumps in the db.

Some additional info on ring/dmi string pointing to supported regions:
W = World
A = USA (America)
J = Japan (or Asia)
E = Europe (might be Germany only for example, or any other European country)
K = (USA, Japan) or (USA, Asia)
L = (USA, Europe)
H = (Japan, Europe)

Good luck!

Notes:
[1] ss_sector_range will convert/downgrade original XGD2 SSv2 files to SSv1, so that 0800 drive SS files will match Kreon drive SS files

2 (edited by Enker 2012-06-24 20:38:42)

I mentioned some Kreon compatible drives in the Dreamcast thread, but I'll list all of them here for quick reference. You can search for either Samsung, Toshiba, or TSSTcorp to find these drives.

IDE drives: SD-M2012C, SH-D162C, SH-D162D, TS-H352C, TS-H352D

SATA drives: SH-D163A, SH-D163B, TS-H353A, TS-H353B

Don't know if this is already known. You can use any 360 drive now using the USB Pro v2 http://team-xecuter.com/xecuter-x360usb … roduction/

4 (edited by limbo43 2017-07-28 14:10:34)

MrX_Cuci wrote:

Don't know if this is already known. You can use any 360 drive now using the USB Pro v2 http://team-xecuter.com/xecuter-x360usb … roduction/

I bought one of these the other day and discovered there are many caveats and gotchas. Stock 16D2S drives don't work out of the box for example -- they dump an incorrect/incomplete SS.bin. You need to flash the drive with 0800 v3 for the drive to properly dump the security sector (not just any 0800). I also tried using a functional BenQ drive and nothing I tried could get that thing to work. Also in the product description for the X360USB they state:

Convert any stock 360 DVD into an 0800 ripping drive without modifying the firmware

But two sentences later, actually, we didn't mean any drive, tee hee:

Even works with Hitachi 0500*! (Liteon DG-16D5S 1175 Support Coming Soon)

I was also confused by this dumping guide, as it doesn't say anything about dumping SS/PFI/DMI in the 0800 section. Being a noob that threw me off, especially because I was able to dump the ISO fine but the SS.bin seemed like gibberish. I thought I was missing some steps.

Anyway, I finally got it working and I'm going to begin dumping this huge stack of games now. Hopefully my info helps someone down the road.

limbo43 wrote:
MrX_Cuci wrote:

I bought one of these the other day and discovered there are many caveats and gotchas. Stock 16D2S drives don't work out of the box for example -- they dump an incorrect/incomplete SS.bin. You need to flash the drive with 0800 v3 for the drive to properly dump the security sector (not just any 0800). I also tried using a functional BenQ drive and nothing I tried could get that thing to work. Also in the product description for the X360USB they state:

Convert any stock 360 DVD into an 0800 ripping drive without modifying the firmware

But two sentences later, actually, we didn't mean any drive, tee hee:

Even works with Hitachi 0500*! (Liteon DG-16D5S 1175 Support Coming Soon)

I was also confused by this dumping guide, as it doesn't say anything about dumping SS/PFI/DMI in the 0800 section. Being a noob that threw me off, especially because I was able to dump the ISO fine but the SS.bin seemed like gibberish. I thought I was missing some steps.

Anyway, I finally got it working and I'm going to begin dumping this huge stack of games now. Hopefully my info helps someone down the road.

Hey, limbo43, has anything changed since you posted this? What's my cheapest route to 1:1 Xbox (Original) as well as 360 dumps? Thanks!

6 (edited by h0lylag 2018-04-29 23:46:32)

Enker wrote:

I mentioned some Kreon compatible drives in the Dreamcast thread, but I'll list all of them here for quick reference. You can search for either Samsung, Toshiba, or TSSTcorp to find these drives.

IDE drives: SD-M2012C, SH-D162C, SH-D162D, TS-H352C, TS-H352D

SATA drives: SH-D163A, SH-D163B, TS-H353A, TS-H353B

I had a bit of a hard time finding this information so I'd thought I would post it here.

I purchased a TS-H353A on eBay because that's what was readily available. Once I was trying to flash the kreon firmware I kept getting an error saying "This Firmware is not compatible with the selected drive." Eventually I found that you can start the sfdnwin.exe flash tool with "-nocheck" flag via cmd prompt and then it will flash no issue. The kreon firmware was marked "SH-D163A_SB01_KREON_V100" even though I was flashing a TS-H353A. I'm not sure if we are allowed to post attachments like that? It should be searchable on google.

7 (edited by number78 2018-01-21 06:52:29)

is there an issue with kreon 1.0 drives and xbox backup creator build 425?

it crashes after writing about 800kb (this program has stopped responding...)

the previous build - 345 - doesn't have "build clean iso" but seems to work fine (still crosschecking my dumps and redump)

does the ss_sector_range & freecell technique produce correct xbox360 dumps? or just for xbox (original) discs?

number78 wrote:

is there an issue with kreon 1.0 drives and xbox backup creator build 425?

it crashes after writing about 800kb (this program has stopped responding...)

the previous build - 345 - doesn't have "build clean iso" but seems to work fine (still crosschecking my dumps and redump)

does the ss_sector_range & freecell technique produce correct xbox360 dumps? or just for xbox (original) discs?

Using a Kreon 1.0 with XBC .425 for XBOX works fine, for XBOX360 you need a 0800v3 firmware, I'm using it on a Lite-On DG-16D2S.

Sector range is needed for both, freecell is XBOX ripping only.

9 (edited by number78 2018-01-21 08:42:25)

So, kreon is only useful for original Xbox?

(i tried xbox disc creator earlier build with Dynasty Warriors 6 for XBOX360 - xgd2 - and used abgx360 - it matched all of it's crc's etc - does this give me any confidence it should match redump?)

- After you closed Xbox Backup Creator, press the eject button of the drive twice so that it will remount the Xbox partitions.

Is this (still) necessary? I have not had any issue just dumping SS/PFI/DMI and immediately running FreeCell. I hope I have not been making bad dumps but I have verified a couple that matched with this method.

I attempted to tap the eject button twice but the drive tray just ejects. This is on SH-D163B SB01 with Kreon.

11 (edited by Jackal 2018-03-03 09:23:37)

I suppose it's safe then. Don't remember why that was needed, it probably had to do with our older dumping method (MineSweeper instead of FreeCell).

12 (edited by limbo43 2018-03-03 12:39:59)

Jackal wrote:

I suppose it's safe then. Don't remember why that was needed, it probably had to do with our older dumping method (MineSweeper instead of FreeCell).

I've also noticed on a few discs that FreeCell will fail with a sense error at a fixed location -- this could be from a scratch or similar, but the same disc can be dumped on an 0800 drive with XBC fine. I'm wondering if it's not the firmware that is the issue (Kreon v 0800), but that XBC puts more effort into recovering sectors it cannot read (e.g. by slowing read speed and making many attempts). Assuming this is the case, FreeCell is significantly faster than XBC for dumps due to the way it skips SS areas and would benefit greatly from similar code (I'm happy to add it if the source is out there)

Dunno if V has released the sources, but he stopped development somewhere in the middle and disappered...

14 (edited by Jackal 2018-03-03 15:40:20)

I found this, but no idea if it's the latest version: http://www.mediafire.com/file/0q9u11r7m … master.zip

If it's a different version than the binary, let me know and we might be able to contact the dev (we got the e-mail address belonging to his account)

How about xbox one dumping instructions, pioneer isobuster smile

He who controls the SPICE... controls the UNIVERSE!
The SPICE must flow.

16 (edited by user7 2018-04-02 01:18:35)

I thought "Xbox 1" was referring to original Xbox, not "Xbox One". Y'all just bean confusing.

All my posts and submission data are released into Public Domain / CC0.

It is smile

Anyway for Xbox dumping (The original xbox) using FreeCell, my new way.

Do everything the same, but if you have multiple discs to dump or verify, do this slightly different method, after dumping the ss.bin leave xbbc open and just run freecell, then when freecell finishes eject the disc, swap it for a new one, dump ss.bin leave xbbc open and run freecell again, no need to keep ejecting the tray, I can confirm the dumps it makes are the same.

He who controls the SPICE... controls the UNIVERSE!
The SPICE must flow.

Note, I've added the dumping guides to the wiki. I'm open to feedback since I've never dumped these systems.
http://wiki.redump.org/index.php?title= … ping_Guide
http://wiki.redump.org/index.php?title= … ping_Guide

XBOX 1 dumping instructions:

Instructions for Kreon drives:
- Dump the SS/PFI/DMI .bin files using Xbox Backup Creator.
- Run 'ss_sector_range.exe SS.bin >sectors.txt' in the folder containing the SS.bin.
- Run 'FreeCell.exe Drive: sectors.txt' in the folder containing the sectors.txt.
- Now the Xbox game will be dumped to 'Track 01.iso'!

I created a batch file. Please modify the path and drive letter individually.

Post's attachments

Xbox_dump.7z 409 b, 20 downloads since 2018-04-28 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

20 (edited by user7 2018-06-14 05:03:54)

360 guide: http://wiki.redump.org/index.php?title= … ping_Guide

Could someone enlighten me about why do we need Kreon drives for dumping the Xbox discs and what's wrong with all the 'regular' drives? "Invisible" Xbox partition is the only problem?

F1ReB4LL wrote:

Could someone enlighten me about why do we need Kreon drives for dumping the Xbox discs and what's wrong with all the 'regular' drives? "Invisible" Xbox partition is the only problem?

That's correct. Special drive firmware (either Kreon on a supported drive, or 0800 firmware on a real 360 drive) is needed to gain access to the game partition. All regular drives are fooled by the video partition and think that is all that is on the disc.

I mean, I've taken a random DVD-DL disc (larger than 7.3GB), inserted it into the drive, ejected the tray with a pin, swapped with the Xbox disc, closed the tray (basically, what everyone does for dumping DC) and, obviously, all the sectors are reachable. Hasn't anyone ever tried this or that's not enough?

24 (edited by Enker 2018-07-16 01:35:06)

Kreon is needed to dump the SS.bin and get the security sector ranges.

For the DVD-DL method, it would need to have the Xbox Layerbreak as well or else the dump would include sectors from the middle zones (zeroes).

Enker wrote:

For the DVD-DL method, it would need to have the Xbox Layerbreak as well or else the dump would include sectors from the middle zones (zeroes).

Isn't layerbreak standard for all the Xbox discs (1913776)? If yes, some kind of swapdisc image could be created, similar to the DC one.

Security sector range is a problem, but 0800 dumps don't use them, you just count, whether a number of errors is 65536 or not?