Jackal wrote:

No PVD is detected on this disc, but sector 16 has a normal PVD, so I wonder what the problem is?

It's a known issue.
http://forum.redump.org/post/94542/#p94542
I have no idea about it now.

3,177 (edited by drfsupercenter 2022-01-25 18:12:10)

Hi sarami,

I have a few questions for you about the program.

1. How are you detecting RipGuard on DVDs?  Until very recently, I honestly didn't realize it was separate from Sony's ARccOS protection - both would crash DVD Decrypter when trying to rip a disc with it, but your program can differentiate.

I'm told by some people on Discord that ARccOS is detected by looking for files in a certain area of the disc that is normally blank.  This actually caused some older and non-Sony DVDs to be falsely flagged as having ARccOS, which is why this came up.

But RipGuard I have no idea about.

2. I notice for said RipGuard DVDs, your program say "Detected protection: MVSNRGFP"  I assume MVSN = MacroVision (the company who made it) but what is RGFP?  Is this your own acronym, or some official term?  Google only shows one result for it, a post on your GitHub.

3. Are there any other methods of anti-ripping protection (besides the CSS/CPPM encryption that's been standard since DVD's inception) on DVD-Video discs besides "MVSNRGFP" and ARccOS that you are aware of?  I've started running various DVDs through DIC just to see what it shows, trying to find something - but haven't found anything yet.

4. With regards to "RipGuard", I am a little confused why the program behaves as it does.  It typically runs into L-EC uncorrectable errors or other generic I/O error messages and then has to try to re-read the sector multiple times before giving up.  This is why I confused it with ARccOS - isn't that what Sony did for their protection?  RipGuard, I *thought* involved thousands of fake program chains in an IFO file, so that if a program like DVD Decrypter was reading the IFOs to figure out where the titles were, it would freeze up and crash.  DIC is just doing a binary (sector) copy, if I'm not mistaken, so what is causing the fake read errors?

Edit: looking at the source code, I learned the "MVSNRGFP" text is actually contained in the disc contents, and confirmed this by opening a couple DVDs in a hex editor and searching for it.  Kind of weird that Macrovision would actually put that there, seems like it would make ripping easy as soon as you found their little string!  The rest of my questions still stand though.  Like if there are multiple different types of RipGuard.

drfsupercenter wrote:

I'm told by some people on Discord that ARccOS is detected by looking for files in a certain area of the disc that is normally blank.  This actually caused some older and non-Sony DVDs to be falsely flagged as having ARccOS, which is why this came up.

Yes, https://github.com/saramibreak/DiscImag … issues/100 https://github.com/saramibreak/DiscImag … issues/102
I've searched for the magic string like MVSNRGFP, but couldn't find it.

drfsupercenter wrote:

what is RGFP?

RG is RipGuard? FP... I don't know. File? Flag? Pointer? Position?

drfsupercenter wrote:

Are there any other methods of anti-ripping protection (besides the CSS/CPPM encryption that's been standard since DVD's inception) on DVD-Video discs besides "MVSNRGFP" and ARccOS that you are aware of?

Not yet.

sarami wrote:
drfsupercenter wrote:

Yes, https://github.com/saramibreak/DiscImag … issues/100 https://github.com/saramibreak/DiscImag … issues/102
I've searched for the magic string like MVSNRGFP, but couldn't find it.

Yeah, I'm honestly surprised the Macrovision protection has a text string in all of those discs, that seems like a really stupid decision on their part... makes it easy to find, and thus circumvent or patch somehow lmao

But they gotta have their name on everything don't they?

drfsupercenter wrote:

what is RGFP?

RG is RipGuard? FP... I don't know. File? Flag? Pointer? Position?

The best my friends can come up with is RipGuard File Protection or Format Protection.  Not that it matters, just speculation

drfsupercenter wrote:

Are there any other methods of anti-ripping protection (besides the CSS/CPPM encryption that's been standard since DVD's inception) on DVD-Video discs besides "MVSNRGFP" and ARccOS that you are aware of?

Not yet.

So, in MPF, that "scan for protection" button apparently uses some program called "burn out sharp", and in the Github for that it mentions:
Cenga ProtectDVD, DVD-Movie-PROTECT, DVD Crypt, ProtectDISC / VOB ProtectCD/DVD, Protect DVD-Video
among other things

I'm sure some of these are DVD-ROM specific, but "DVD Movie Protect" and "Protect DVD-Video" seem pretty obvious what they would be used for... However I have not actually seen these in the wild and Googling most of them only brings you back to the BOS Github page.  Any idea what that's about?

Additionally, some of the DVD ripper programs mention a thing called "Disney X-Copy" protection and tout that they can remove it - however, all my Disney DVDs (from about 2007 through 2011) have RipGuard with the MVSNRGFP text, so it's possible those sites are confused.

They do mention something that I observed once, a long time ago (on Windows XP), where a (Disney) DVD will show up as being like 40GB in size even though that's obviously impossible - and if you try to rip it, it gets stuck in a loop.  I haven't seen such a DVD show up in modern Windows though, so it might have been the same RipGuard "fake PGC" protection that somehow messed up Explorer back then?

I do notice there are two completely distinct types of DVDs both with the MSVNRGFP protection.  One type acts functionally identical to ARccOS, where the ripper will get I/O read errors and have to skip/blank out sectors.  The other type, the IFO files themselves specify hundreds of thousands of PGCs that don't exist, so a program that tries to read those gets thrown off.

Do you know if this is the same thing, but one is just newer?  Maybe Macrovision realized people were using tools like ddrescue to simply skip the bad sectors, so they switched to phony IFOs instead, I don't know.

I do notice that on the latter type with the deformed IFO files, DiscImageCreator still gets stuck on sectors and has to "read back" multiple times.  So it might be the same fake-bad-sector scheme, but with deformed IFOs added to the mix?  I assume DIC isn't even reading IFO files since it's doing binary copies and not trying to decrypt stuff.

3,180 (edited by gmipf 2022-01-29 17:58:34)

@sarami I wanted to ask what the speed 0 does? Is it just max speed or does it more? I have got an undumped ps3 disc with scratches. I have tried following speeds with no luck: 1, 2, 4, 8, 12. But if I set 0 I can dump the disc fully, even twice in a row.

EDIT: Weird, speed 10 is also working.

gmipf wrote:

Is it just max speed

Yes.

Updated 2022-02-01 version
https://github.com/saramibreak/DiscImag … g/20220201
*2022-02-01
- added: /vrfy flag for checking non-zero byte of audio CD
- added: buffer size check when IMAGE_EXPORT_DIRECTORY is outputted
- added: support for reading cache via 0xF1 on HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH14NS48 v.1.D3
- changed: "DATE" to "wmic os get LocalDateTime" when createBuildDateTime.bat is created
- changed: check disk free space
- changed: Hash image while dumping (DVD, BD)
- fixed: trim the string of i6comp.exe
- fixed: string (x86 -> 32 bit)
- fixed: ARccOS is checked by DVD-Video
- fixed: cue file when /p is used
- fixed: disk space checking for linux
- fixed: when used .petite, it's skipped reading Export, Import, Resource data due to the compressed data
- fixed: dumping of "Star Wars - Shadows of the Empire Soundtrack"

I can't dump any CDs! I have an "ILLEGAL MODE FOR THIS TRACK" message. Can something be done about it or not? I have the TS-L632H drive. I have the latest TO03 firmware uploaded to it

MrPepka wrote:

I can't dump any CDs! I have an "ILLEGAL MODE FOR THIS TRACK" message. Can something be done about it or not? I have the TS-L632H drive. I have the latest TO03 firmware uploaded to it

If it's not in this list, you can't do anything with it.
http://wiki.redump.org/index.php?title= … patibility

Plextor: PX-W4012TU, PX-W5224TA, Premium, PX-716SA, PX-716A || LG GDR-8164B || Lite-On SOHD-167D
HP (Toshiba/Samsung): TS-H353A - Kreon FW || HP (Hitachi/LG): BH40N - crossflashed with LG BH16NS40 FW || Sony Optiarc AD-7280S

3,185 (edited by KailoKyra 2022-02-13 15:27:55)

I tried to dump the USA PC release of Tonic Trouble today, and DIC crashes when "checking EXEs" :

xd8, SubCode: 0]
This drive supports [OpCode: 0xd8, SubCode: 1]
This drive supports [OpCode: 0xd8, SubCode: 2]
This drive supports [OpCode: 0xd8, SubCode: 8]
Checking reading lead-out -> OK
Checking SubQ adr (Track)  1/ 1
Checking SubRtoW (Track)  1/ 1
Checking Pregap sync, msf, mode (LBA)  -2588
Reading DirectoryRecord   73/  73
Checking EXE    3 SETUPTT.EXE: File Version 1, 0, 0, 1
Checking EXE    5

(It crashes just at that last line ("Checking EXE   5")

It's a game that was dumped back in 2019 on redump, so I picked a DIC from that time, and it dumps fine.
That release is quite rare, but "thankfully" it also crashes with more common european versions (french, UK...)

KailoKyra wrote:

DIC crashes when "checking EXEs" :

It's invalid report.
See, please. https://github.com/saramibreak/DiscImag … _report.md

Got 2 DVDs that simply refuse to dump.
When you execute DIC, it just exits without any message and without completing the dump. Maybe the cause is not even the same, because in one case a 0-byte .iso is created while on the other, no .iso gets created.
The problem DVDs are the older version of Kingdom II-Shadoan USA (the one that doesn't show "PS2 compatible" on the cover) and the Japanese Insanity DVD: The Shooting Love: XII Stag & Trizeal.
Tried with a Plextor 755A DVD and an LG WH14NS40 BluRay.
Tried with DIC directly and through MPF. And of course using latest DIC version.
Both discs dump fine in Isobuster.
Whatever logs get created are attached.

Post's attachments

ISO.zip 6.54 kb, 16 downloads since 2022-02-15 

ISO2.zip 9.33 kb, 15 downloads since 2022-02-15 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Maddog wrote:

Got 2 DVDs that simply refuse to dump.

- fixed: the buffer size when analyzing the IFO files
https://www.mediafire.com/file/eq80y20l … st.7z/file

sarami wrote:

- fixed: the buffer size when analyzing the IFO files

Test version fixed the problem with Kingdom II-Shadoan, which dumped with same CRC as the Isobuster dump.
The Shooting Love is still behaving the same, exits with no messages. This is the one that creates a 0 byte .iso before crashing, so probably I was right they are not crashing for the same reason.

After looking at it a little more, I suspect a possible reason: this DVD according to Isobuster has an illegal LBA in its' filesystem and also has files with Japanese names. Please refer to attached screenshots. Maybe this is the reason? Attaching also the logs that were created this time.

Post's attachments

Capture.JPG 68.27 kb, 12 downloads since 2022-02-17 

Capture2.JPG 53.23 kb, 12 downloads since 2022-02-17 

TSL.ZIP 9.74 kb, 14 downloads since 2022-02-17 

Maddog wrote:

The Shooting Love is still behaving the same, exits with no messages.

- added: check if the directory record length is really correct
URL link is the same.

sarami wrote:
Maddog wrote:

The Shooting Love is still behaving the same, exits with no messages.

- added: check if the directory record length is really correct
URL link is the same.

Unchanged behavior.

Post's attachments

TSL.zip 10.09 kb, 15 downloads since 2022-02-19 

Maddog wrote:

Unchanged behavior.

Uploaded. Link is the same.

3,193 (edited by Maddog 2022-02-20 09:04:11)

sarami wrote:
Maddog wrote:

Unchanged behavior.

Uploaded. Link is the same.

Definitely on the right track, it now started dumping and created a small .iso.
This time it fails because of "Read of scrambled sector without authentication".
I believe the problem now is extracting CSS keys correctly, since the CSSkey.txt is blank.

Tried also with command prompt with admin privileges, just in case. No change.

Post's attachments

TSL.zip 81.48 kb, 14 downloads since 2022-02-20 

Maddog wrote:

I believe the problem now is extracting CSS keys correctly, since the CSSkey.txt is blank.

It needs a screenshot of the command prompt.

sarami wrote:
Maddog wrote:

It needs a screenshot of the command prompt.

Attached.

Post's attachments

Capture.JPG 85.5 kb, 12 downloads since 2022-02-20 

DVDAuth returns no error.
If other DVD-Video discs are no problem, I have no idea about this now.

sarami wrote:

If other DVD-Video discs are no problem, I have no idea about this now.

Everything else dumps fine.
I ran DVDAuth on its' own.
With command dvdauth F css out1.txt  > I get a blank out1.txt  (same behavior as the CSSKey.txt
With command dvdauth F cppm out2.txt and dvdauth F cprm out3.txt I get identical files that contain only:

AlbumIdentifier: 8d 24 d8 32 77 85 df 45

If any of these mean anything...

http://forum.redump.org/topic/42817/fix … ng-hashes/

Possible to look into this sarami?

Logs: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gk2WPJ … sp=sharing

All my posts and submission data are released into Public Domain / CC0.

3,199 (edited by sarami 2022-02-21 13:12:52)

user7 wrote:

Possible to look into this sarami?

Sorry. I forgot to test for xbox.

sarami wrote:

DVDAuth also crashes for the same reason. Fixed it.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/eq80y20l … st.7z/file

sarami - any chance you could add functionality to DIC to transform dense.bin to a proper Track 03.bin?

http://forum.redump.org/topic/41632/dc- … ice-error/

All my posts and submission data are released into Public Domain / CC0.