Jackal wrote:

do C2 errors take into account offset correction?

I'm not sure...

BTW, I got the same result as your dump using ASUS BW-16D1HT (FW:3.10)
https://www.mediafire.com/file/c1c53cvy … HT.7z/file

I found it difficult to dump the Code Lock for plextor 0xd8, while scm file is important because meaningful string (beware the jabberwock my son ....) is replaced by 0x55 for img/bin file.

27 (edited by Jackal 2021-09-23 19:17:01)

I guess we need to do more research.. maybe the SafeDisc scrambled data is also meaningful.. but I always assumed that there could be no good/reliable data hidden behind a C2 error.

I did test dumping (via DIC) this Tropico disc on my BH14NS40 cross flashed to BW-16D1HT 3.02. It gets way too many errors (7700 bad sectors) compared to the other drives. I can post the logs if anyone wants to see, but I'm not sure there's much useful there.

Is there an option in DIC to retry reads due to C2 errors even if the sector contains a protected file? I'd noticed in reading this disc with another drive that sometimes, with a sufficient number of retries, a few errors went away. But DIC doesn't retry these sectors because of the presence of a protected file.

I've placed an order for a Code Lock game that's already in the database. Once that arrives, I should be able to test my setup. I'm also on the fence about ordering another Optiarc drive just for the hell of it. They're nice drives, and my purchase of a cheap AD-7290 is probably the best thing that's come from the ordeal of trying to rip this disc.

My Tropico matched the db http://redump.org/disc/53929/ Mould SID Code is IFPI 8725 and others are the same.

Logs: https://www.mediafire.com/file/igd353s5 … e).7z/file

scsi_wuzzy wrote:

Is there an option in DIC to retry reads due to C2 errors even if the sector contains a protected file?

No.

Jackal wrote:

I guess we need to do more research.. maybe the SafeDisc scrambled data is also meaningful..

I think so from the viewpoint of data preservation.

30 (edited by scsi_wuzzy 2021-09-24 16:38:14)

sarami wrote:

My Tropico matched the db http://redump.org/disc/53929/ Mould SID Code is IFPI 8725 and others are the same.

Hopefully that's what I'll see when my European disc arrives. As it stands, I don't have any Code Lock discs that are identical pressings to those in the database. My Tropico disc is the North American version, and, while I suspect the errors are in the same locations (or nearly the same locations) as the European release in the database, it's definitely a different pressing. The sector count differs, etc.

So, my question is if I just haven't found the right drive to read my NA release with single errors, or if the error count is doubled compared to the European pressing. Hopefully, if I can verify that one or more of my drives will read the European disc with correct results, such a drive can be trusted to submit this NA release to the database, and we'll (sort of) know how many errors this damn disc is supposed to have.

Edit: I'm just realized I'm using the FW 3.02 on my BW-16D1HT (the one recommended by the Wiki). Sarami is using 3.10. It seems unlikely this explains the different behavior, right? I feel it's more likely the disc, but we are running different FW revisions... Does 3.10 have all the features that 3.02 does in terms of 0xF1, 0xBE on data sectors, lead-in, lead-out, etc?

31 (edited by matura713 2021-09-25 03:57:25)

scsi_wuzzy wrote:

the FW 3.02 on my BW-16D1HT (the one recommended by the Wiki). Sarami is using 3.10. It seems unlikely this explains the different behavior, right? I feel it's more likely the disc, but we are running different FW revisions

I don't know, if you know, but it's now possible to go from 3.02 to 3.10 and back safely - before it was very hard (and risky) to downgrade as the downgrade is not allowed with those drives, because of their UHD/BD support - it requires manual patching of the firmware and easy to brick the drive. So, the new way for downgrade is a lot like PS3 downgrade, if you're familiar with PS3 HFW (Hybrid Firmware) downgrade procedure. It has additional advantage that contrary to the previous methods, this one keeps the individual calibration data of your particular drive - it's done entirely in software. So, from your 3.02 you can update to 3.10, then to go back, you need to flash it to another firmware 3.10DE, i.e. 3.10 Downgrade-Enabled firmware and then flash it to 3.02. I can give you better details, but I did it over few months ago and I am searching for my notes - I recall write down small txt file for myself...

[EDIT] I cannot find the notes I had in mind, but found another notes that say:

1. Update BW-16D1HT FW3.02 to 3.10 using the official updater
2. then if you what to go back to 3.02
2.1. use "ASUS_ODD_FW_Changer_(Modified) (24.08.2019)" and update with file "ASUS-BW-16D1HT-3.10-WM01601-211901041014.bin", that enables 3.10 drive to be downgraded
2.2. use again "ASUS_ODD_FW_Changer_(Modified) (24.08.2019)" with "DE_ASUS_BW-16D1HT_3.02.bin" to update it

I am giving those just as clues, maybe there are now newer vesions of the above files and they are no longer the latest.

[EDIT2] I found the note I made to myself 4 months ago, literally it says:

3.10 can be flashed to 3.10MK for downgrade
3.10MK can be flashed with any DE firmware.

So, it seems it works a little like PS3 HFW:

OFW --> HFW
HFW --> Downgrade

In my maybe:

3.10 --> 3.10MK
3.10MK --> 3.02DE

Also, that note is my "ASUS_ODD_FW_Changer_(Modified) (24.08.2019)" and so that tool was used. I think "MK" comes from Mike the guy that make 3.10 downgrade firmware and "DE" is stands for Downgrade-Enabler or something like that...So, yeah, it seems the files in my other note match perfectly this one.

32 (edited by sarami 2021-09-25 04:17:13)

scsi_wuzzy wrote:

I'm just realized I'm using the FW 3.02 on my BW-16D1HT (the one recommended by the Wiki). Sarami is using 3.10. It seems unlikely this explains the different behavior, right?

Rune and Tropico is a negative offset disc. BW-16D1HT (FW 3.10) can dump it.

========== Offset (Drive offset referes to http://www.accuraterip.com) ==========
     Combined Offset(Byte)    -24, (Samples)    -6
    -   Drive Offset(Byte)     24, (Samples)     6
    ----------------------------------------------
           CD Offset(Byte)    -48, (Samples)   -12
    Overread sector: -1

FW 3.02 uses to dump a positive offset disc. (Of course, it's also able to use for a negative offset.)

33 (edited by scsi_wuzzy 2021-09-25 15:13:46)

matura713 wrote:

Also, that note is my "ASUS_ODD_FW_Changer_(Modified) (24.08.2019)" and so that tool was used. I think "MK" comes from Mike the guy that make 3.10 downgrade firmware and "DE" is stands for Downgrade-Enabler or something like that...So, yeah, it seems the files in my other note match perfectly this one.

There's also the flashing tool that comes with MakeMKV as well. I've only used it for a couple of tasks, but it's worked well. Okay, I actually was lazy and used the GUI tool (sdftool_flasher). In any case, it's worked well for me. I haven't tried flashing an ASUS firmware with it, though, but I'm thinking I might upgrade my ripper to 3.10 just for the hell of it.

Edit: Just upgraded to 3.10 MK via sftool_flasher. Looks like it went fine -- even with me being too lazy to take it out of the USB enclosure it's in.

Edit2: My Tropico disc still has an absolute ton of C2 errors around the region in question, so I don't think this is something that is just a difference between 3.02 and 3.10 firmware versions. Hopefully it won't be too long before my Tropico disc arrives and I can test my setup.

34 (edited by scsi_wuzzy 2021-10-01 03:21:46)

My European copy of Tropico arrived today. I was able to use DIC to dump the disc with my BW-16D1HT (F/W 3.10) and match the European release in the database.

Consequently, I don't believe there're any issues with my setup. I believe this US release is just a lot trickier to dump compared to the EU release. After trying however many drives I've tried, I'm reasonably confident that probably no drive will have fewer than 1516 errors when reading the US disc. That's the best I've seen from any drive, and that's exactly two errors for each location where there EU release has a single error. I've only found one drive capable of reading the disc with that few of errors -- most drives have 3+ (and often 5 or more) errors at each location.

Edit: Also, using CloneCD, my Optiarc 7290H5 and hp TS-H653R, two drives that I previously tried to dump the US disc with, are both able to create dumps of the EU disc that match the one in the database.