Hey guys, I'm creating wiki guides for dumping with DIC starting with DVDs. Any feedback? I want to simplify this process for newbies http://wiki.redump.org/index.php?title= … e_Creator)

All my posts and submission data are released into Public Domain / CC0.

Hi, I allowed myself to move your post to a new topic, i think it would overfill sarami's topic otherwise.

HashCalc (or any other checksum tool): Download, unzip, install.
Checksums MD5, SHA1, CRC32

I think, this step can be skipped. DIC should have its own ClrMamePro output for hashes, if not please ask sarami to include it into DIC outputs. I will add ClrMamePro support for DVD based discs soon as well.

Version: For PS2 games, mount the .iso and open "SYSTEM.CNF" in Notepad app, "VER" = version number.

Mounting is not really required, it also can be opened from the disc itself. Also if sarami can include it into DIC output please ask him.

Version: For PC games, right click on the game .exe or relevant file and click on "Properties"

I don't think this is a proper way to find the version. The version in EXE properties is referring to EXE version. Game version is either located in files like INI, CONFIG, README and or can (only) be obtained from in-game main menu.

Image size: Right click on one of the .iso files > Properties > and look for "Size" in bytes (NOT "Size on disk"). Save "Size" info for submission.
Layerbreak sector: 

DIC output?

PX-760A (+30), PX-W4824TA (+98), GSA-H42L (+667), GDR-8164B (+102), SH-D162D (+6), SOHD-167T (+12)

3 (edited by user7 2017-08-23 20:17:44)

Great feedback iRobot, I will implement on this guide as well as the CD dumping guide today.

Can you give me feedback on any other issues with the CD dumping guide? http://wiki.redump.org/index.php?title= … e_Creator)

^ Especially when it comes to commands for dumping PS1 discs because I have only dumped DVD discs so far.

Also, if you could add these guides to the Dumping Guide list would be superb http://wiki.redump.org/index.php?title=Dumping-Guides
Or grant me edit access to that page.

Hi user7! I appreciate very much your guide for newbies as I find DIC difficult to use, and the DIC's main thread with 44 pages became impossible to read!

For example: what difference would it make to run DIC with the "CD" or "DATA" parameter?
Also, could you describe when to use the other parameters? Like /c2 /d8 or whatever

I guess I need to launch DIC with specific parameters according to the disc's protection.
Can you make a list of what to use with each? Or at least the most common one? SafeDisc 1, SafeDisc 2-3-4 and SecuROM

5 (edited by user7 2017-08-25 22:07:18)

escarlata wrote:

Hi user7! I appreciate very much your guide for newbies as I find DIC difficult to use, and the DIC's main thread with 44 pages became impossible to read!

Thanks so much! Glad to hear it's useful.

escarlata wrote:

For example: what difference would it make to run DIC with the "CD" or "DATA" parameter?
Also, could you describe when to use the other parameters? Like /c2 /d8 or whatever

I actually don't understand this myself, part of the reason I created the guide was to ask for help figuring this stuff out. It's extremely confusing! sarami did a great job on creating the app, but for less technically skilled a little more explanation would go a long way. Any wizards reading wana help out w info? / I'll update the wiki with anything posted here.

escarlata wrote:

I guess I need to launch DIC with specific parameters according to the disc's protection.
Can you make a list of what to use with each? Or at least the most common one? SafeDisc 1, SafeDisc 2-3-4 and SecuROM

More questions I would love answered. Right now I'm not even sure the proper command to dump a PS1 disc.

6 (edited by ack2121 2017-08-26 00:22:44)

For PS1 and PS2 CDROM discs:
Discimagecreator cd cd_drive file.bin 8 /c2

replace cd_drive with your Plextor drive letter (don't forget the colon!)
replace file.bin with your filename

Of course don't forget the path to Discimagecreator (and use "" for any path with spaces in it)

7 (edited by user7 2017-08-26 01:12:44)

Thanks ack, already have that in the CD dumping guide and added the colors as useful http://wiki.redump.org/index.php?title= … e_Creator)

Still unclear about:

• When to use other commands such as d8

• What to do for secure-rom etc

• Where to find file size in DIC output txt files

• Where to find checksums in DIC output files

• Where to find layerbreak for PS2 DVD-9's in output files.

8 (edited by Jackal 2017-08-26 07:29:03)

user7 wrote:

Thanks ack, already have that in the CD dumping guide and added the colors as useful http://wiki.redump.org/index.php?title= … e_Creator)

Still unclear about:

• When to use other commands such as d8

• What to do for secure-rom etc

• Where to find file size in DIC output txt files

• Where to find checksums in DIC output files

• Where to find layerbreak for PS2 DVD-9's in output files.

- /nl is for LibCrypt, /ns for SecuROM, /sf for for PC copy protections that can be detected, /ss for other PC protections with c2 errors.
- size and hashes are in .dat file (doh)
- .cue that DIC created should always be used/included
- write offset is in the disc log txt
- SecuROM data is in the subintention .txt (when /ns parameter is used and the disc is in fact SecuROM-protected)

Also my suggestion would be to remove this part from the guide (until any of the drives are really verified):
'''Disc drives believed[http://forum.redump.org/post/49337/#p49337] to be compatible''' (move to verified list when confirmed):
* Apple 300, 300i (Sony CDU-8003, CDU-8003A) 
* Apple's "New" CD (Matsushita CR-8004) 
* Chinon CDS-535 (note: needs v2.0 firmware "Q20" or "R20") 
* NEC CDR 500, CDR 510, CDR 600 (MultiSpin 3x series) 
* NEC CDR 400 (MultiSpin 3xp portable) 
* NEC CDR 900 (MultiSpin 4x Pro quadruple speed) 
* NEC CDR 84-1 (74-1) needs special new firmware upgrade from NEC 
* Sony CDU-561 
* Toshiba XM 3301TE (Silicon Graphics version) 
* Toshiba XM 3401TA, XM 3401B 
* Toshiba XM 3401TE (Silicon Graphics, and Sun versions) 
* Toshiba XM 4101TA Toshiba XM 5301TA
* Hitachi 6750S

And also remove this:
Protected CD:
SecuRom 3
PLEXTOR
PX-4824A (ecc/edc of the 2 sector doesn't match)
CDS200, Label Gate, XCP
PLEXTOR
PX-4824A (doesn't get the TOC correctly)

It's no use mentioning individual issues for certain discs/drives. A lot of things can go wrong during dumping. The dumper needs to learn himself how to pick up on these issues.

Also the section 'Disc Compatibility' isn't really needed. DIC should work with any CD.

A guide should be as compact and easy to read as possible.

Great feedback, I've implemented all changes best as I understand.

> size and hashes are in .dat file (doh)

I'm guessing this isn't for DVDs? I only rip DVDs and the .dat contains none of this info.

user7 wrote:

> size and hashes are in .dat file (doh)
I'm guessing this isn't for DVDs? I only rip DVDs and the .dat contains none of this info.

I fixed as DVD doesn't work by 'cd' command. Please use 'dvd'.

SCSI Models: PX-W4220T, PX-32TS/CS, PX-83CS/85CS, PX-63CS/65CS, PX-43CS 43CE 43CH/45CS 45CE 45CH, DM-3028/5028, DM-3024/5024, DM-3021/5021, DM-3020/5020

I haven't tested these drive yet.

11 (edited by Jackal 2017-09-10 11:06:11)

I've linked your guides here: http://wiki.redump.org/index.php?title=Dumping-Guides

And changed the ringcode part a bit (they are required, at least the parts that can be reasonably read). Also linked to my forum post with instructions on how to scan hidden PSX ringcodes.