Has the redump top brass considered doing a Patron for hunting down rare games and maybe server fees? It seems like some of the older consoles are slowing down with new dumps as mostly rarer (and more expensive) games remain on miss lists.

If one is set up I would be happy to contribute. It would get the attention of other outsiders who are not savvy enough to dump as well.

All my posts and submission data are released into Public Domain / CC0.

2 (edited by Jackal 2017-05-16 18:01:00)

Maybe this could be an option for server fees, but this is for iR0b0t to decide, because he's the one paying for the server fees atm. Purchasing games for dumping seems like a legal grey area though, because you use donations to add hashes and info to a database, but somehow these dumps also end up on people's HDD's. MAME has been doing succesful fundraisers though for purchasing and dumping rare games, but privately and not via Patreon.

Another thing is that dumping rare games doesn't have to be a loss-making enterprise. I have dumped plenty of rare games and either sold them on (also with profit) or used my legal right to return the games for a refund. I think most of the remaining dumpers have either found ways to get and dump games as cheap as possible, or they really buy the games for their own collection. Donation money should only be used for buying games and selling them again after dumping, and not to fund private collections.

And the final argument is that, even if we got $1000 per month for dumping Saturn games or whatever, we would need trustworthy dumpers with a proven track record and with a lot of spare time who are able to deliver these dumps in a certain timeframe. Most active dumpers just don't have the time to do a lot of dumps each week.

Jackal wrote:

And the final argument is that, even if we got $1000 per month for dumping Saturn games or whatever, we would need trustworthy dumpers with a proven track record and with a lot of spare time who are able to deliver these dumps in a certain timeframe. Most active dumpers just don't have the time to do a lot of dumps each week.

I think the Saturn ones that are still undumped are either secured already or are so rare that they can't be easily found and purchased (unless we're talking about paying the collectors for dumping). FM-Towns section is the one that needs lots of money, because there are hundreds (even thousands) of undumped titles, most of them are very pricey. PSX section also needs Germs and Harmful Park smile

F1ReB4LL wrote:

FM-Towns section is the one that needs lots of money, because there are hundreds (even thousands) of undumped titles, most of them are very pricey.

List
http://www.geocities.jp/ahirudanna/towns_soft.html
http://fmtowns.a.la9.jp/

F1ReB4LL wrote:

I think the Saturn ones that are still undumped are either secured already or are so rare that they can't be easily found and purchased (unless we're talking about paying the collectors for dumping). FM-Towns section is the one that needs lots of money, because there are hundreds (even thousands) of undumped titles, most of them are very pricey. PSX section also needs Germs and Harmful Park smile

There are still hundreds of common and undumped Saturn titles, like all the Japanese not for sale titles.

Rubberbandman wrote:

There are still hundreds of common and undumped Saturn titles, like all the Japanese not for sale titles.

Secured = purchased, not dumped yet.

Not for sale titles (the ones that aren't demos) are mostly dumped (except a few $300+ ones that rarely appear at all).

F1ReB4LL wrote:

Not for sale titles (the ones that aren't demos) are mostly dumped (except a few $300+ ones that rarely appear at all).

I did a quick lookup and only saw around 45 in the database out of 250+ that is known to exist. I might have searched the database wrong though. Or are you saying that 200 or so of those secured?