I've been out of town for a bit, but had a box of goodies greet me at home. (Two CD-i 450s and a 3DO FZ-10).

One of the things I got was Top Gun for the CD-i. It's a film. Would this be classified as "Multimedia", or is this something that does not belong?

Redump Forum - Disc Preservation Project
Redump Forum - Game related Disc Preservation Project

maybe the subtitle of redump should be changed a bit.

I figured as much. Just thought I'd ask before setting it aside. I suppose it's more or less a VCD, but I can't really bring myself to think of the CD-i as a VCD player.

Interestingly, the catalog that it comes with doesn't discern films from interactive titles for DVC-required discs.

4 (edited by MrX_Cuci 2010-10-07 02:08:09)

Interesting question nevertheless. VCD is also playbale on the Amiga CD32 if you have a FMV cartridge, but I agree with GBK. It's nothing game related.

why arent redump mods joining the discussion and/or clear the matter?

6 (edited by amarok 2010-10-07 09:14:47)

Because we're lazy and incompetent. That's what you wanna hear, isn't it?

Seriously, the mods are little more than adding/fixing slaves smile you'd have to speak to the admins about such general questions regarding the project's direction. As far as I know, redump only wants games or gaming-related discs, so these discs - as rare and interesting as they might be - won't get added.

That being said, I've repeatedly said that - personally - I'd love to have all kinds of discs in the database, even if they're not gaming-related. Video-UMDs and Video-DVDs in general, maybe even Audio-CDs. I'm not only interested in games, and I'd love to have bit-perfect DVD-V and CDA dumps (and even CDi movies ^^) just as much as PSX or PS2 ^^ But I doubt that'll ever happen... Besides, this project has bigger problems than that smile

I'd say that's a NAY.. no movies on redump, ever, period..

Still no one interested in a fork? http://forum.redump.org/topic/4174/dump … des-games/

The key point is that Audio/Video sections can draw too much attention from copyrighters. Of course, we're just a database, but all the torrent seeds with our dumps are "properly" named, so it's very risky. When copyrighters will see a torrent with lots of music or video, with a link to "redump.org" as a source, they will, most likely, try to sue and close us. Same for Wii/360/PS3 sections, btw, ir0b0t seems to be very brave to own the site and not to hide these sections, while living in a European country, which won't cope with any piracy, like China, Ukraine or Russia.

maybe people should just stop to name sets on torrentsites redump sets.

Mmh, take AccurateRip, for example. They do exactly the same thing for audio discs, just not accurate enough for me (without overreading, gaps etc). They've been doing it for years, have tens of thousands of discs in their database and afaik never got into trouble. I doubt anyone could possibly sue redump or any other project for providing checksums ^^

Wii, 360 and PS3 actually are hidden for guests, so that could be done for regular DVDs/Audio CDs, too, if you prefer to keep it silent ^^

12 (edited by MrX_Cuci 2010-10-07 16:24:50)

This is just a DB, it has nothing to do with torrents. This DB can't be held responsible for what people call their torrents. It doesn't host anything nor provide links to material. It's just a reference database.

The db is fine, of course. Theoretically. But everyone can be sued for participating in a group which _releases_ the images (similar to PC releasing groups, like Razor1911, etc.). And in any case, they can just sue the project, even if it's 100% legal by the current laws - but do you really want to prove it in the court?

14 (edited by Rocket 2010-10-07 17:58:18)

F1ReB4LL wrote:

Of course, we're just a database, but all the torrent seeds with our dumps are "properly" named, so it's very risky. When copyrighters will see a torrent with lots of music or video, with a link to "redump.org" as a source, they will, most likely, try to sue and close us.

Maybe just need create section "About" in main page and write "We don't share dumps. We only collect info about discs"?

velocity37 wrote:

One of the things I got was Top Gun for the CD-i. It's a film. Would this be classified as "Multimedia", or is this something that does not belong?

This disc it is very interesting to me and I think will be interesting for many persons. I think, this one must be added to base.

このソフトは かいはつちゅうです

Rocket wrote:
F1ReB4LL wrote:

Of course, we're just a database, but all the torrent seeds with our dumps are "properly" named, so it's very risky. When copyrighters will see a torrent with lots of music or video, with a link to "redump.org" as a source, they will, most likely, try to sue and close us.

Maybe just need create section "About" in main page and write "We don't share dumps. We only collect info about discs"?

Who will believe in that, if there are "redump.org" torrents with our dumps? It's like MAME - they don't share the dumps, of course. But they collect money for a specific game via donations, send it to The Guru and voila! - the game is in MAME and shared everywhere. Your blonde gf will *maybe* believe these events aren't connected, but not the serious copyright guys.

except that everyone can dump a psx or ps2 game and/or compare hashes and upload an original game or even often a "found" image and ul it as "redump image" while arcademachines are something very expensive often and rare as well.

an about page  for redump should be mandatory anyway

And again - do you really want to prove it in the court? smile

F1ReB4LL wrote:

And again - do you really want to prove it in the court? smile

I don't know what country do you live in, but in most countries, and I believe in the one redump is hosted too, there's something called presumption of innocence, which says:

The burden of proof is on the prosecution, which has to collect and present enough compelling evidence to convince the trier of fact, who is restrained and ordered by law to consider only actual evidence and testimony that is legally admissible, and in most cases lawfully obtained, that the accused is guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.

So please, stop talking about proving something in the court, we don't have to prove anything.

Torrent trackers are absolutely legal, they don't have any copyrighted data stored on the site (only the .torrent files with checksums), they're not against the law in most countries. So why do they have lawsuits so often? Trackers themselves, not only the users who seed or leech.

20 (edited by RiMMER 2010-10-07 22:01:48)

F1ReB4LL wrote:

Torrent trackers are absolutely legal, they don't have any copyrighted data stored on the site (only the .torrent files with checksums), they're not against the law in most countries. So why do they have lawsuits so often? Trackers themselves, not only the users who seed or leech.

If I sue you for stealing my car, does it mean you are guilty of stealing my car? No, sure it doesn't. So asking "why do they have lawsuits so often" is like asking "why did the asshole rimmer accused me of stealing his car?" Well, I don't know, who cares? That's my problem, not yours. As long as you haven't stolen my car, you shouldn't care what I think. Just wait until I come up with a proof and then you have a chance to defend yourself. Until then, you don't need to open your mouth about the matter.

I hope it's clear what I was trying to say. The post is not offensive. smile

no one asked me for my opinion, but i also think that any non-gaming media doesn't belong to the redump-DB. maybe someone should launch a sub-project for this kind.

no-intro still exists altough you can find full no-intro nintendo ds sets with thousands of games shared on some tnerrot-sites.
there are also nfo-sites like ludibria which lists various zeraw. you can copy & paste the release-names to a search engine and the first result is usually yabetarip.

in a way all these sites help you to find coprighted material, but they still exist, so i don't think redump is in trouble yet.

Ну ты же не хочешь сказать, что у нас релизов на торрентах нет? smile Какая уж тут невиновность? ) Группа, которая дампит и релизит дампы, всяких разоров за такое только так сажают. Мне похер, просто палевно некоторые разделы на сайте открытыми держать, зачем внимание лишнее, лучше перестраховаться.

Wow, how unexpected smile well, I said before, that all the torrent talk should be prohibited on this forum and the dumpers should NOT be encouraged to upload their stuff.

24 (edited by NvrBst 2010-10-08 01:45:54)

I'm also with amarok, if we are confidant in the dumping method, then I'd love to see other sections open up, DVD/BR/HDD Video, Audio CDs, IBM PC Apps, etc; if someone is willing to start contributing hashs, then the section should exist *from a disc preservation perspective*.

There is already ~30 systems in redump, an extra 3 or 4 wont confuse anything, and I'm sure it wouldn't put any significant strain on the server.  I don't see an attention thing being an issue either; we already have XBOX360/PS3/Wii, might as well finish it and add the last few sections.  Audio could be popular but video is so large that it probably wont be of too much interest to random people; average joe will ignore redump and stick to h264/xvid avi/mkv etc.

End result, it is never too early to start collecting the hashs.

No need to chalenge fate, movies do not belong to an online db  wink besides when it comes to dvds do you have the slightest idea the millions of movies and varations out there? try making an offline personal db in excel or something.