ghost wrote:

besides when it comes to dvds do you have the slightest idea the millions of movies and varations out there?

ghost, lemme fix that for you: "besides when it comes to PC games do you have the slightest idea the millions of different versions, editions and varations out there?" I hope you understand what I mean... If anything, the complexity of the task or the number of discs out there should be an incentive, not a reason against it ^^

NvrBst wrote:

Audio could be popular but video is so large that it probably wont be of too much interest to random people; average joe will ignore redump and stick to h264/xvid avi/mkv etc.

I think neither will be of interest to many people. As I've said, there already is AccurateRip for Audio CDs, which does *exactly* this, except for "advanced" things such as overreading etc. Average Joe still thinks that 128 kbit/s sounds great (the more audiophile Average Joes might prefer iTunes ^^). A FLAC rip is already overkill to most people, even if it's not offset-corrected, or no overreading or gap detection was used. Redump dumps would definitely be way too clumsy for most people. You couldn't even tag them without altering the checksums tongue

All that being said, I still don't understand why a games DB - especially one containing Wii, Xbox 360 and PS3 would be any less dangerous than one with movies or music... The games industry isn't any less fierce when it comes to persecuting filesharers ^^ quite the contrary.

To compare the service of a database with the one of a torrentracker seems unreasonable.

People can download files trough torrentfiles..be they movies..audiofiles..games and what not.

But nobody can download anything trough reading hash-informations.

If redump.org dumpers, moderators or even administrators upload and share files using the redump.org database or not they make themself guilty of course.

Trackers and torrentfiles are needed to share files. a database however is for sure not.