Hi! I would like to obtain a Plextor drive in order to dump various CDs that I have and CDs that I will obtain in the future (I will probably not be able to dump many until late December however). I live in the UK. What would be the cheapest way of obtaining a drive, and as the drive will probably be IDE, would an IDE to SATA converter work to connect it to my computer?

PX-4824TA (offset +98), PX-755SA (offset +30), ASUS BW-16D1HT (offset +6)

I don't live in the UK, so I can't really offer much useful advice about buying a Plextor.

However, I can offer advice about getting an IDE adapter.

First off, I've had a lot more success getting SATA to IDE adapters running than USB to IDE adapters.

I'm currently using this Syba brand SATA to IDE adatper: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002O … &psc=1

However, I can't seem to find that exact product on amazon.co.uk, but this device looks suspiciously similar: https://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-Bi-Di … de+adapter

Of course,  you'll want to make sure that your power supply has Molex/4-pin power outlets. Otherwise, you'll need to buy a SATA power to Molex adapter in order to power the drive and the adapter.

Also, I'd like to warn you and anyone else who may be reading to NEVER buy this product: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BI … &psc=1

I can't go into detail right now, but all you need to know is that it failed on me.

Also, Kludge is a UK based dumper who apparently owns multiple Plextors. You might be able to convince him to part with one of them for cheap-ish if you ask nicely.

Still looking for a drive. Could anyone from Norway act as an intemediary and help me get this drive? I would pay for the drive and the shipping costs to the UK.

There's no great price on Plextors in Europe right now. If you want to save money, then search every week. A list of compatible drives:

IDE Models: PX-760, PX-755, PX-716, PX-714, PX-712, PX-708, PX-704, Premium2, Premium, PX-W5224, PX-4824, PX-4012
SCSI Models: PX-W4220T, PX-32TS/CS, PX-83CS/85CS, PX-63CS/65CS, PX-43CS 43CE 43CH/45CS 45CE 45CH, DM-3028/5028, DM-3024/5024, DM-3021/5021, DM-3020/5020

All my posts and submission data are released into Public Domain / CC0.

Maybe send Kludge a pm. He's from the UK also and has a ton of plextor drives. Pretty sure he could miss one.

I have a PX-W4824TA that i want to sell. I have two Plextor drives, so i don't really need this one as i have another unit smile
Feel free to contact me with a PM if you still need it.

Plextor: PX-W4012TU, PX-W5224TA, Premium, PX-716SA, PX-716A || LG GDR-8164B || Lite-On SOHD-167D
HP (Toshiba/Samsung): TS-H353A - Kreon FW || HP (Hitachi/LG): BH40N - crossflashed with LG BH16NS40 FW || Sony Optiarc AD-7280S

Just a tip since I managed to find quite a few Plextor drives really easy a while ago. I'm a member on a certain large web forum for computer hardware enthusiasts and have been for a long time. So I did a quick search in the forum archive for posts mentioning "plextor", "plextools" etc between 2000-2007. I found a lot of posts from forum users mentioning they owned Plextor drives. So I sent out around ~50 PMs asking if they still had their old Plextor drive and if I could buy it. And surprise - now I have 8 Plextor units. Some were given to me for free (just shipping), some I bought cheap. smile

Thanks for the tips! Someone posted a PX-W4824TA on eBay for £20 (apparently in working order apart from a broken rubber drive belt, which I should be able to either fix or just open with a paperclip), and the SATA to IDE adapter recommended by ajshell.