Setting drive speed is also easy to do with OptiDriveControl, I've used it for over a decade to set the speed with other tools that don't support it like IsoBuster.

It would indeed be nice if the tool had an option to do so.

I would like the iterative process to be automated as well, this shouldn't be too hard to accomplish by merging good sectors after dump, then running EccEdc and getting a new range, cleaning up a temp folder, and repeating with the new range until all are dumped or a threshold reached.

I think it may also help to perform seeks between re-read attempts after a re-read threshold is reached, I have used this method to dump problem sectors with ISOBuster by seeking sector 150 or some sector near the end of the disc and retrying.

Is it possible to defeat/dump the cache ala EAC? Perhaps this would also help.

Plextor PX-760A 1.07 (+30) : Plextor PX-716SA 1.11 (+30) : Plextor PX-W5224A 1.04 (+30) : Plextor PX-W4824 1.07 (+30) : Plextor PX-W4012TA 1.07 (+98) : Plextor PX-W1610TA (+99) : Plextor PX-W1210TA 1.10 (+99) : Lite-On LTR-48246S (+6) : Lite-On LTR-52246S (+6) : Lite-On LH-20A1H LL0DN (+6) : BenQ DW1655 BCIB (+618) : ASUS DRW-2014L1 1.02 (+6) : Yamaha CRW-F1 (+733) : Optiarc SA-7290H5 1H44 (+48) : ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.02 (+6)

52 (edited by Nexy 2019-06-25 09:09:45)

OK so I bought 7290H5 to dump laserlock discs with it. The disc in question is this one http://redump.org/disc/12951/ , which when I originally dumped had too many errors and got marked red. Well I've been trying to dump this disc all day now with marginal success. I got the best dump using clone CD which took several hours and resulted in a dump with 972 errors instead of 1440 previous plextor dump or more than 10000 as with DIC.

I ended up finding the patent for laserlock and seeing how it works, and according to the patent document there are sections with extended "lands" on each side of the readable area between them, this is the "ring" you see. There are 5 "zones" on the discs, there is the 2 normal zones "1 and 2" which are the start and end of the discs. Then 2 more zones "2 and 3" which are these areas of extended "lands" and finally the protected zone "4" which is between the 2 and 3 zones. The protection check routine is supposed to use an angle to move the head or calculate the "good" area of the disc to be read, and this seems to hold true given my findings.

The interesting bit is the errors seem to follow a distinct pattern of a range of "bad" sectors which cannot be read, 1 sector which has no ECC/EDC data in it, and then a block of good sectors, and then rinse and repeat with the larger "good" zone between.

Now I have tried this tool with no positive results in recovering the "bad" sectors at all, not with 10 re-reads, 50 or even 1000. It fails always which leads me to believe that these sectors are indeed extended "lands" and are not readable by any means on any drive. I will attach the EccEdc check log of the dump which more clearly represents what I meant by the pattern, which is very obvious.

Post's attachments

Track.img_EccEdc.txt.7z 560.27 kb, 18 downloads since 2019-06-25 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.
Plextor PX-760A 1.07 (+30) : Plextor PX-716SA 1.11 (+30) : Plextor PX-W5224A 1.04 (+30) : Plextor PX-W4824 1.07 (+30) : Plextor PX-W4012TA 1.07 (+98) : Plextor PX-W1610TA (+99) : Plextor PX-W1210TA 1.10 (+99) : Lite-On LTR-48246S (+6) : Lite-On LTR-52246S (+6) : Lite-On LH-20A1H LL0DN (+6) : BenQ DW1655 BCIB (+618) : ASUS DRW-2014L1 1.02 (+6) : Yamaha CRW-F1 (+733) : Optiarc SA-7290H5 1H44 (+48) : ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.02 (+6)

New discovery! Plextor 716A at 4x read speed was suddenly able to easily read the "difficult" LaserLock sectors for both me and Nexy.

PX-4824TA (offset +98), PX-755SA (offset +30), ASUS BW-16D1HT (offset +6)

Yep can confirm. Wasted money buying an Optiarc for that, but at least it can do the initial dump faster than the plextor can.

Good to know, i'll try to dump my laserlock games with my PX-716SA when i'll be back home next month.

Plextor: PX-W4012TU, PX-W5224TA, Premium, PX-716SA, PX-716A || LG GDR-8164B || Lite-On SOHD-167D
HP (Toshiba/Samsung): TS-H353A - Kreon FW || HP (Hitachi/LG): BH40N - crossflashed with LG BH16NS40 FW || Sony Optiarc AD-7280S

56 (edited by reentrant 2020-05-16 08:05:06)

Updated version of application in attachment.

Usage:
CDArchive --mode=<mode> <additional params specific for mode>

Mode you are interested in is: 'ext'

Example: CDArchive.exe --mode=ext --extrdrive=F --extrsectdir=PathToWhereToDumpSectors --extrstart=1000 --extrend=2000 --exttrefcue=PathToCue

Other parameters are default. Feel free to change them.

This version supports handling DVDs with rings with --extrdiscmode=dvd. If you want to do this craft this cue:

FILE "FILE.ISO" BINARY
  TRACK 01 MODE3/2048
    INDEX 01 00:00:00

Let me know how it works wink

Post's attachments

CDArchive.zip 300.6 kb, 55 downloads since 2020-05-16 

57 (edited by reentrant 2021-10-30 10:38:04)

Updated version of application in attachment.

Fixed: various bugs

Post's attachments

CDArchive.7z 671.1 kb, 21 downloads since 2021-10-30 

More debug output

Post's attachments

CDArchive.7z 228.98 kb, 18 downloads since 2021-10-31 

59 (edited by reentrant 2021-10-31 17:51:11)

More debug output #2

Post's attachments

CDArchive.7z 228.83 kb, 58 downloads since 2021-10-31 

Guys, I have just seen ringed discs dumping guide and one small step is missing:
- it's necessary to use eccedc with parameter -fixex at the end of dumping process. This is needed because cdmage has a bug. If you attempt to repair all the sectors in an image, the sectors which are already filled with 0x55 pattern, they will be erroneously damaged by filling reserved field with 0x00 value (8 bytes IIRC). EccEcc with fixex command restores full 2352 bytes with 0x55 value. It's not a critical bug (images can be repaired at any time, but it's better to have it correct in first place).

Hiya
I will bring this thread back to life a bit due to a rather specific case:
Well, it turns out that there are discs with this Ring PROTECH protection that have CD Audio tracks and sometimes this protection is on the audio tracks (these are Fake Tracks, i.e. audio tracks not used by the game, but recorded so that the disc cannot be copied). Since, as we well know, Plextor or LG/ASUS drives are poorly suited for copying discs with ring protection, and the excess of a bad DIC is not able to even start dumping such a disc in any such drive, I wrote a guide based on my experience on such a disc. to astound
ATTENTION! THIS IS ONLY A PROPOSAL FOR DUMPING THESE DISCS! PLEASE DO NOT DO THIS YET UNTIL REDUMP'S MODERATION AND ADMINISTRATION ALLOW IT!
1. First, insert the disc into a redump-compatible drive (Plextor or LG/ASUS), run MPF/DIC and start dumping. Of course, as I mentioned, dumping will not start, but DIC will provide the write offset value, which you will have to provide when adding the disc to redump.org
2. Then remove the disc from the Plextor and insert it into the SOHD-167T drive
3. Run CloneCD and copy the disc in it (be sure to select "Protected PC Game" as the profile, then edit this profile and disable the "Intelligent Bad Sector Scanner" and "Fast Error Skip Settings" options, and before starting to rip the disc, enable the option to create cue sheet). Of course, save this file somewhere (Attention! Dumping such a disc may take up to 24 hours, just wait until it is finished, or leave the computer on overnight or something)
4. Then run the ECCEDC program in CMD with this command
"EccEdc check <location of sub file> <location of img file>"
(ATTENTION! IT IS IMPORTANT TO HAVE THE LATEST VERSION OF ECCEDC AS IT HAS INTRODUCED AUDIO SECTOR CORRECTNESS CHECK!)
EccEdc will save the results to a text file. Sectors with data that have this protection will be provided in this form
"2336 bytes have already been replaced at 0x55."
However, audio sectors will have the info "audio or invalid sync". Write down all sector ranges that have this information
5. Run CDArchive in CMD with this command
cdarchive.exe --mode=ext --extrdrive=<DriveLetter> --extrstart=<FIRSTRingSector> --extrend=<LASTRingSector> --extroverread=0 --extrretries=100 --extrskip=1000 --extrdirection=<f or b> --extrdiscmode="cd" --extrsectdir="<SectorExtractionDirectory>" --extrrefcue="<PathToIMAGE.cue>" and read the rest of the sectors as much as possible. When reading sectors, remember not to force it and if the drive cannot read a sector, move to the next one
6. If CDArchive has read any sectors, import them to the disc image with this command
cdarchive.exe --mode=mer --merdiscmode=cd --mersrcdir="<SectorExtractionDirectory>" --meroutcue="<PathToIMAGE.cue>"
7. Then turn on CDMage and run the disc image in it. In the "Action" tab, select "Scan for corruption", then click "Scan" and wait until CDMage scans the entire disc image for errors. Then select the "Repair corrupted sectors" option, select all sectors with errors and wait for CDMage to repair the errors (Note! CDMage may also display information that it has repaired 0 errors out of those it found)
8. (Only required if CDMage fixes any errors) Open the ECCEDC program in CMD with this command
ECCEDC fix <location of sub file> <location of img file>
This will fix sectors corrupted by a bug in CDMage (sectors filled with the 0x55 pattern CDMage edits and fills them with the 0x00 pattern, ECCEDC restores the correct pattern)
9. In ECCEDC, execute this command
ECCEDC check <location of sub file> <location of img file>
And note the sectors that have errors (both data and audio sectors)
10. Run BINmerge in CMD with this command
binmerge -s <location of cue file> <name of new files, can be the same as the name of the disc label>
11. Calculate hashes for bin files using an application like HashCalc or OpenHashTab (remember to calculate hashes for ALL separated bin files with prefix (Track 1) (Track 2) etc)
To calculate size, just pack all the bin files, e.g. in 7-zip, open the archive in 7-zip and the application will give the size of each bin file, then enter size without spaces.
12. Add the disc to redump.org including the newly calculated hashes and ring protected sector ranges
That's it. I would like to ask the redump moderator and administration to comment on this topic whether such a possible guide would be OK for you.
Thank you very much in advance

reentrant, I have a bunch of ring protected discs that have the broken sectors within multiple audio tracks.

Is cdarchive able to read audio sectors properly as well?

All contributions are from my own disks and only for my own documentation and backup purposes. Don't ask me to share any files. If you want the disks, buy them.

Audio = no. Use DIC for that.