1 (edited by user7 2018-03-30 02:59:18)

https://i.imgur.com/1uCYlQG.png

Well here it is folks! Or here it can be, I should say. The GUI is simple, effective, and can do everything necessary that the DIC command line can.

Notes:
* Disc Type: This will call certain functions depending on the disc. For example, for PS1 it should also call psxt001z and edccchk and spit out logs for them.
* Command Prompt would serve as a status window similar to how DVD Decrypter displays what is going on.
* The copy buttons would copy all the necessary info from the dats to clipboard where it can easily be copied into the New Disc.

Will it get made?
The truth is those with the ability to code this are least in need of it. Over the past few months I've brought contributers into redump and even moreso than buying a Plextor, they have distaste or inability for using the command line. Hell, even I stopped contributing to redump for 5+ years due to the switch to DIC. After using DIC I realized how GREAT an app it is... but the CLI is a complete insta-No for some people. I don't know how to code, and I don't know how difficult or easy it would be. So I'm putting it here as a proposal, I hope somebody or somebodies is able to take this to the next step.

All my posts and submission data are released into Public Domain / CC0.

This is a very good idea!
We should define a list with common DIC parameters for the various systems/disc types, and also for the programs to run after DIC.
That way the coder only has to take care of the GUI and doesn't have to figure out what commands/programs to call.

I like both the idea of a GUI as well as the mockup smile
I agree with rosewood, it could help to build a list of commands that would be run in each situation.

Here's hoping someone will work on this soon big_smile

4 (edited by rosewood 2018-03-30 16:22:33)

Not to forget, the list of commands (i.e. templates) should be smart - and contain a selection of the different parameters for the various versions of DIC and also an option for safe/slow dumping of scratched discs.

Until a gui is created these templates could be used to create batch files.

Just making a gui shouldn't be much too hard to make. I'll see if I can get something done.

FatArnold wrote:

Just making a gui shouldn't be much too hard to make. I'll see if I can get something done.

Awesome, best of luck. This will make life a lot easier for a good of good, common folk.

Would be nice having a GUI.

No problem with the command line at all (as old AMIGA fan), but for the lazy ones among us (ME! smile ).

I encourage you to do this in order to help some casual guys with interesting CDs/DVDs in their hands that need dumping. Its time give one more step in order to attach some important dumps that are hard to find.

9 (edited by FatArnold 2018-04-08 19:29:12)

Just to give a quick update. I've been working some on the GUI but I have very limited time to do so smile

It works, you can dump discs with it and it supports various profiles. But it still has some bugs and missing features and needs some more work.

https://i.imgur.com/skSsLU1.png

10 (edited by user7 2018-05-01 21:05:03)

FatArnold wrote:

Just to give a quick update. I've been working some on the GUI but I have very limited time to do so smile

Not sure, how I missed this post. You're doing fantastic work. I messaged you about the flagging system in case it's useful.

Would you be willing to publish this to github or somewhere similar?

Thank you!

It's already on github but the code is quite terrible as I'm a horrible coder and have so little time to work on it right now.

The flag system info is very useful, thanks. smile

FatArnold wrote:

Thank you!

It's already on github but the code is quite terrible as I'm a horrible coder and have so little time to work on it right now.

The flag system info is very useful, thanks. smile

Oh, cool it's python. Good work! I started knocking one up in Vb.net as I thought this project might be dead, but I think having sourcecode on git will lead to some collaboration. My vb.net version didn't have profiles yet, so it was pretty trashy wink

i was thinking it might be cool to get crc after dump, then scrape redump search page to see if unique or verify, then make that visible in UI - but feature creep can be a trap!

Hey FatArnold

here is some crc32 check / then check if new disc or verify disc from redump...

import requests
import zlib
from bs4 import BeautifulSoup

#fn needs to be set from GUI

buffersize = 65536

with open(fn, 'rb') as afile:
    buffr = afile.read(buffersize)
    crcvalue = 0
    while len(buffr) > 0:
        crcvalue = zlib.crc32(buffr, crcvalue)
        buffr = afile.read(buffersize)

crc = (format(crcvalue & 0xFFFFFFFF, '08x'))
#print (crc)

url1 = "http://redump.org/discs/quicksearch/"
r = requests.get(url1 + crc)
r.encoding = 'utf-8'
soup = BeautifulSoup(r.text, 'html.parser')
soup2 = soup.find_all('title')
soup3 = [e.get_text() for e in soup2]
if str('Discs') in str(soup3):
    print ("This disc is a new entry to Redump DB!")
else:
    print ("This disc can be used to verify a Redump DB entry")