Here are dumping methods for Nintendo Gamecube / Wii optical discs according to Redump.org quality standards.

Before dumping anything take care about infos you need to submit:

1. Checksum (crc32, md5, sha1, ed2k): use Hashcalc (mirror) to get these infos quickly

2. Image size: it must be always as follows:

- Gamecube: 1.459.978.240 bytes (712.880 sectors)
- Wii: 4.699.979.776 bytes (2.294.912 sectors)
- Wii DL: 8.511.160.320 bytes (4.155.840 sectors)

3. Disc ID / Serial: DL-DOL-Gxxx-yyy for Gamecube and RVL-Rxxx-yyy for Wii, the one written on upper side of disc (if you cannot read it find the right light angle).

4. Ring Code: you can find it on bottom side on disc in the inner inside ring (if you cannot read it find the right light angle). If you cannot read Ring Code at all, please post Barcode instead.

5. Region: Japan, Europe, USA, France, Germany, Spain, Italy, Australia, etc. (if not sure check yyy of Serial).

6. Version: open your dumped image with HxD (or another Hex editor) and look at offset 0x07:

http://www.rocknroms.net/gcdump/images/header.png

if value is 0x00 => v1.00 ; if value is 0x01 => v1.01 ; if value is 0x02 => v1.02 and so on.

Version can be also retrieved via Ring Code. Take for example this "1080° Avalanche (E)" GC ring code

"IFPI LQ11 103J3008 DOL-GTEP-0-00 JPN S0"

or Wii "2K Sports: NBA 2K10"

"IFPI LL89 E09J1512 RVL-R76E-0A-0 USA M1S7"

the bold numbers are the same as the hex value:

For GC: if value is -00 => v1.00 ; if value is -01 => v1.01 ; if value is -02 => v1.02 and so on.
For Wii: if value is -0 => v1.00 ; if value is -1 => v1.01 ; if value is -2 => v1.02 and so on.

Please take care to check Version with the standard Hex viewer method because numbers in GC/Wii ring codes are smaller than any other media around and it's so easy to write down the wrong number or letter.

7. Edition: Original, Player's Choice, Bundle, Promo, Demo etc.

8. Languages: English, Japanese, French, Spanish, German, Italian and so on

- Some games have language selection at game loading or inside game options.

- Some games have language detection by bios configuration, change it to see if the game has more languages.

- Please take care that if a game has for example "En,Fr" as spoken languages and "En,Fr,De,Sp,It" as subtitles, it's better to submit "En,Fr" as languages and add subtitles languages in the notes (if you use wip form).

9. Tools used to dump your disc (see below).

Notes:

1. Optional infos are ---> Dol-MD5 (only for Gamecube use dolmd to get checksum - mirror), Barcode.

2. Header is not required and it has no reason to be archived because every usefull data is still avaible (unless Streaming that is not archived and it has to be clearified). Header can be necessary for alternative dumps when it's the only info to identify a dump.

3. Please post also Layer Break for Dual Layer Wii discs.

4. Gamecube/Wii discs has no clear EXE date. The date you find in Gamecube images header is not an EXE date as we mean; that date is probably the EXE date of boot application which is common to many games, like autoexec for old dos games (if you play something around with some vintage cpu like MSX you'll know better what I mean).

Here is a sample template anyone can use to post needed infos:

Title:
Region:
Languages:
Serial:
Ring Code:
Version:
Edition:
Image Size:
CRC32:
MD5:
SHA-1:
ed2k:

DUMPING METHODS

----------------------------------------------------------------------
DUMPING disc from your PC

You need one of the following LG DVD drives:

LG-8164B
LG-8163B
LG-8162B
LG-8161B

A. Dumping with Rawdump (mirror - you may need to install .NET framework 2.0)

http://www.rocknroms.net/gcdump/images/rawdump.png

Simply insert disc in your LG drive, check "Dual Layer" box if disc is dual layer and click "Start Dump".

It will take around 45min for Gamecube and 2h 30min for Wii, when the dump is finished a popup will show.

B. Dumping with Friidump (mirror - this package contain a batch file to automate the process, edit it if needed)

Use the batch file in the archive (edit it if needed, I have set it to typical drive D:) or start a command prompt, move to friidump directory and type:

friidump -d D: -a

If your LG drive letter is different, type the right letter instead of D

Let program dump disc, it will take a little more than Rawdump.

DUMPING disc from your softmodded Wii to SD card

1. Softmod your Wii with one of the guides around (gbatemp or wiihacks websites for example and take care not to brick it with stupid IOS or Sysmenu patches).

Tools needed: SD card (8GB is best choise) + Superdump + IOS249 (cIOS38) v1.3b

2. Copy the content of this package (mirror) to your SD card, it contains Superdump v.1.2 and v1.3, cIOS38 v1.3b and cIOS uninstaller.

3. If you have cIOS v1.4 or v1.5 uninstall it with the unistaller and then install v1.3b to have a clean system. Don't use IOS249 v1.4 or v1.5 because it has a bug which cannot read last sector of first layer of Wii dvds (not confirmed: please beware some modchips cannot retrieve right dumps of Wii dvds even with v1.3b or lower)

4. Insert your disc and your SD card in your Wii, lauch HBC (HomeBrew Channel) and load Superdump. The screen will switch to a command line with the following options to choose with your Wiimote:

B  = changes DVD type (Gamecube, Wii Single Layer, Wii Double Layer).

1  = changes image chunks size

2 = changes #n of chunks to dump *

A = starts dumping

* please remember to move to next chunk -- 0,1,2 -- after you dump first one otherwise you'll continue to dump the same chunk. Gamecube discs can be dumped in one chunk, Wii games have to be dumped at least in 2 chunks because a chunk cannot be bigger than 3GB because of FAT limitation.

It will take around 10min for GC and 30min for Wii discs, if you got "error reading sector data" message your dump is wrong (last sector, or more for DL discs, has not been dumped. See above).

5. Once you have dumped one chunk (if you have a 8GB SD or bigger you can wait and dump all the chunks), move it on your PC and delete it from SD. Remount SD in your Wii, dump next chunk and repeat the process untill you have finished.

6. Once finished you'll have all your chunks on PC (Ex: RZDJ01_0.bin, RZDJ01_1.bin, etc. if dumped with Superdump 1.3, 1.bin,2.bin, etc. if dumped with Superdump 1.2) and you have to join them to a single file; to do this simply open a command promp and join files with copy command *:

copy /b RZDJ01_0.bin+RZDJ01_1.bin RZDJ01.bin

or

copy /b 1.bin+2.bin dump.bin

Notes:

1. Superdump v1.3 has a problem with multiple disc Gamecube games, you have to dump and move to PC the first disc dump before dumping the second disc because of same name in the header. To avoid this loss of time dump first disc with v1.3 and second disc with v1.2 (this is mainly why I put both apps in the package).

2. * If you have problems with copy command you can join chunks with HxD: on menu select "Extras ---> File tools ---> Concatenate...". On the new window open all chunk files, order them right and save the joined file as output with your preferred name in your preferred directory.

3. Don't dump anything via wifi tools becuase it's confirmed it will return a bad dump!!!

DUMPING GC disc from your Gamecube

...to do (see here)

My patch requests thread
--------------------------------

I may as well mention that I dumped Muramasa under both cIOS38 rev13b and rev15 and the checksums matched. So it seems Superdump works fine under rev15, just avoid rev14. I've not tried rev15 with GC or Wii DL discs but it's probably OK for those too.

doofus wrote:

I may as well mention that I dumped Muramasa under both cIOS38 rev13b and rev15 and the checksums matched. So it seems Superdump works fine under rev15, just avoid rev14. I've not tried rev15 with GC or Wii DL discs but it's probably OK for those too.

Thanks for this check, by the way I read some discussions about a lot of problems regarding rev15 so it's better to wait for more feedbacks.

I've read also about Wode, new chip which may dump discs on the fly from Wii to HD, but I haven't understand well if it will be done via usb or wifi.

My patch requests thread

As some of you might have heard, New Super Mario Bros. Wii has a new form of copy protection on it. There's some info about it that's recently been released (Google for "Wii.ISO.Releases.Need.BCA.Data.ReadNFO.Wii-OneUp").

Basically, there's this BCA data on the disc which isn't dumped when making an iso and this is what's used for copy protection. It can be "dumped" easily by using uloader (included in that release from OneUp), putting the disc in the drive, clicking on the DVD icon in the top right, then clicking on "Show BCA data" at the bottom of the screen. You just have to type it out carefully, it's only 64 bytes.

So should we be including this information in future dumps? Only NSMB Wii and James Cameron's Avatar use this new protection as far as I've heard. I've tested three discs (two old, one new) and they all have different BCA data.

I was thinking about the same after I read this tool info. Probably we have to archive those BCA 64bytes like libcrypt or similar but I don't know if it's safe to add them in DB.

My patch requests thread

Rocknroms wrote:

I was thinking about the same after I read this tool info. Probably we have to archive those BCA 64bytes like libcrypt or similar but I don't know if it's safe to add them in DB.

BCA data is seperate from the disk data it's kind of like distributing a barcode / ring code I think it should be included in the database but only for games that have BCA Protection.

What I really want to see is a way to dump the BCA data using a .dol file that does only that and doesnt require a softmodded Wii like uLoader 3.5

Collecting USA Wii and NGC

Obviously if it will be it will be only for BCA games. We can simply make a list in this thread until the number of BCA games will be too big.

kiczek wrote:

What I really want to see is a way to dump the BCA data using a .dol file that does only that and doesnt require a softmodded Wii like uLoader 3.5

So you mean dumping it on a PC: I think we have to understand better what's BCA. As long as I read is an old encryption inside Wii that was never used until today. Strings are on disc otherwise what does it check? Can those string be dumped on the fly or not?

My patch requests thread

Rocknroms wrote:

Obviously if it will be it will be only for BCA games. We can simply make a list in this thread until the number of BCA games will be too big.

kiczek wrote:

So you mean dumping it on a PC: I think we have to understand better what's BCA. As long as I read is an old encryption inside Wii that was never used until today. Strings are on disc otherwise what does it check? Can those string be dumped on the fly or not?

The Wii drive is able to read the BCA data on a retail disk
it's not iso data it's completely seperate data burned into the reflective layer with a YAG laser.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burst_cutting_area

basically if the main.dol file asks the Wii to read the data and it is running a burned copy there is no way to physically read the data unless it is stored in a seperate location and the modchip or the loading method knows how to deal with it.

Ok, It's basically the same as SS/DC rings.

My patch requests thread

Rocknroms wrote:

is there a tool for dumping the ring info ? other then using uLoader 3.5 i would love a PC program that is able to read this ring data

kiczek wrote:
Rocknroms wrote:

is there a tool for dumping the ring info ? other then using uLoader 3.5 i would love a PC program that is able to read this ring data

Forget it, it's quite impossible.

My patch requests thread

Has anyone already checked CIOS rev19? I don't want to go back to 13 and also don't have any game in database to redump... I've dumped a game and everything looks fine...but I don't know if it's a good dump or not...

xrusher wrote:

Has anyone already checked CIOS rev19? I don't want to go back to 13 and also don't have any game in database to redump... I've dumped a game and everything looks fine...but I don't know if it's a good dump or not...

If the right dump is already in DB you can compare. If your dump matches, rev19 might be safe but it's better to check also if you got no "error reading sector data" (dump will work fine as backup, but it's bad).

My patch requests thread

14 (edited by Ecco 2010-05-15 03:06:02)

I have tested superdump with rev 19 and dumped my Wii Sports Resort.

It`s one of the most dumped Games and my dump match the databse crc.

And I have read that Avatar isn`t bca protected. (The Scene PAL Dump was only a bad dump  big_smile )

I've also dumped Super Smash Bros Brawl with rev19...and it matches too, so DVD-9 dumping should also be fine...

Thanks for the infos, I will try to check it as soon as posible (I have to change chip or disable it). By the way if we'll have more feedbacks I could update the faq with rev19 only.

My patch requests thread

Yeah, I must say that I have installed the stable  basic/main cIOS of rev 19. (There are 5 different IOS with difference functions)

Yes it's implicit is cIOS / IOS249.

Someone have tested WODE? I see it dumps directly from drive so it's not wifi, by the way I'd like to know how many cables you'll have to change because they got cut or broken (you have a tiny drive cable that come out from wii and connect to slave board, it was so difficult to make some round cable or connector or use one of the usb ports instead?  roll ).

My patch requests thread

I don't know how to tell which cIOS I'm using, I softmodded my wii using This tutorial though. How can I check the version?

Two more questions:

1. How do you calculate the DOL MD5 value? I saw the tool used to get this but how do you use it? I double clicked the exe file but it won't load. If it makes a difference I'm using windows 7.

2. How do you determine the Disc Sectors since these Gamecube disc's won't load in IsoBuster?

0. There's no way to know it unless you simply reinstal new version rev19 so you know which version you have.

1. It's a command line: open prompt and digit "dolmd5 "filename.iso"

2. There's no need to report image sectors, simply report image size and check if it's right. By the way you can get sectors size with "image size / 2048"

My patch requests thread

Thank you for the help. I found this in the installer.log file, will this identify if my wii is acceptable to dump games without making any additional modifications?

HackMii v0.5 installer starting up
PVR = 00087200
running under IOS 36 rev 0x412
58 titles are installed
Found IOS 254: revision: 0x7a6a*
Found IOS 250: revision: 0xffff*
Found IOS 0: revision: 0x0*
Found IOS 61: revision: 0x131a.
Found IOS 60: revision: 0x181e*
Found IOS 55: revision: 0x141d.
Found IOS 53: revision: 0x141d.
Found IOS 51: revision: 0x1300.
Found IOS 50: revision: 0x1400.
Found IOS 38: revision: 0xe1a.
Found IOS 249: revision: 0xa*
Found IOS 37: revision: 0xe1c.
Found IOS 36: revision: 0x412.
Found IOS 35: revision: 0x410.
Found IOS 34: revision: 0x40f.
Found IOS 33: revision: 0x410.
Found IOS 31: revision: 0xa10.
Found IOS 30: revision: 0x410.
Found IOS 28: revision: 0x508.
Found IOS 22: revision: 0x304.
Found IOS 20: revision: 0xc.
Found IOS 17: revision: 0x200.
Found IOS 15: revision: 0x101.
Found IOS 14: revision: 0x101.
Found IOS 13: revision: 0xa.
Found IOS 12: revision: 0x6.
Found IOS 11: revision: 0xa.
Found IOS 21: revision: 0x202.
Found IOS 2: revision: 0x1a1.
Found IOS 9: revision: 0x204.
Found IOS 4: revision: 0x3.
IOS versions: Installer: 36, HBC: 61, DVDX: 36
launching IOS for the installer...starting preparationsNinty forgot to write spare data for page 191
Ninty forgot to write spare data for page 447
parsing last generation bootmap
found valid boot2 blockmap at block 1 (pos 0x627c0), submap 0, generation 2
found valid boot2 blockmap at block 5 (pos 0xe67c0), submap 0, generation 3
parse_blocks: found 2 valid blockmaps
found 2 valid blockmaps
using generation 3
boot2 blocks: 00 01 02 03 04 05 06
boot2bin @5,0 (blocks=0,1 - bootmii=0)
bootmii@-1,-1
boot2 blocks: 06 05 04 03 02 01 00
boot2bin @5,1 (blocks=6,5 - bootmii=0)
boot2 block layout: 2 2 1 1 1 0 0
Assembling boot2 in RAM
copyright size = 34
copyright text = 'Copyright 2008,2009 Team Twiizers.'
tmd ends at 0x80295cec, data starts at 0x80295d20
bootmii version  = '1.1'
prepare_bootmii: bootmii_check_boot1 failed: -2
preparations done!The test results are in:

Using IOS versions:      Installer: 36, HBC: 61, DVDX: 36

The Homebrew Channel:    Can be installed
  DVDX:                    Can be installed
  BootMii:                 Can only be installed as an IOS
      The installed boot1 version prevents a boot2 install (-2)
Removing title 0x000100014a4f4449...
Deleting 1 ticket

So far I tried dumping Luigi's Mansion and it matched the database entry.

PS I decided to make a couple small changes to Superdump v1.2 & 1.3

I added

- An image to Superdump v1.2 & 1.3
- Added short description to the main menu icon in the homebrew channel
- Added a longer description to the app once clicked before it's loaded to explain about dumping multiple gamecube discs

Download link - http://www.mediafire.com/?hu01nkmwjox

Just put the icon.png & meta.xml in their corresponding folders and load the homebrew channel to see the difference.

Let me know what you think and if you like if feel free to add it to the main post  :-)

@21 ---> it doesn't say anything to me. By the way why don't you install last revision as it's the less baggy?

@22 ---> great, I'll add it as soon as I can test on my wii

My patch requests thread

I'm kinda new to the wii modding scene so I'm not very familiar with everything yet, I was kinda worried I would lose some functionality if I upgrade the cIOS.

1. So if I install cIOS of rev 19 will that allow me to play the newest games on the market i.e. Super Mario Galaxy 2 etc?

2. Is their any downside to upgrading i.e. losing features that were available in previous versions?

Rev.19 seems to be the best one avaible (with previous versions you'll got some problem with dumps, gmaes, etc. but this one is the more stable). If you got problems you can always uninstal with the tool in the mai package and instal old one.

My patch requests thread