I just don't get it. Ki Suishou vs Kisuishou (Densetsu Astal) -- ok, Ki and Suishou are different words. But why Daisenryaku and not Daisen Ryaku (World Advanced Daisenryaku) -- those are 2 different words, too. Or Ushinawareta instead of Ushina Wareta (Vandal Hearts: Ushinawareta Kodai Bunmei) -- those are also 2 different words. How to determine, whether 2 words should be splitted or not?

Just for your information...
輝水晶 = 輝 + 水晶 = Ki Suishou (Bright Crystal)
大戦略 = 大 + 戦略 = Dai Senryaku (Great Strategy)
失われた = 失わ + れ + た = Ushinawa re ta (Lost)

I like 'no splitting'. smile

I am learning Japanese so I might share my opinion.
The romanization is somewhat difficult sometimes because Japanese is ofter used in a particual way in game titles.

Ki Suishou vs Kisuishou

yes, ki 輝 and suishou 水晶 are stand alone words and I think you'll never find Kisuishou in any dictionary. But there ki was added to specify suishou, I think that they omitted the no -> 輝(の)水晶 to create an unique word (bright or shining crystal), but this is a very common practice in Japanese language. I actually think that Kisuishou would be the most correct one here but ki suishou is not completely wrong either.
Surely Asapy can clear any doubt as he is very skilled in romanization.

Daisenryaku

This is correct. The prex dai is added to chinese origin words and as prefix it becomes part of the word.
Another common example is 大冒険.
Also, daisen means nothing in Japanese and is not a standalone word.

Ushinawareta

This is ok. wareta is not a separate word, it's the inflected auxiliary verb that is connected to verb stem to inflect the whole verb and create verb forms (potential, passive, causative)

Oops, beaten by a mile by fuzzball.
Sorry, I got a phone call right after I started writing the reply

5 (edited by F1ReB4LL 2009-06-22 18:05:58)

Magical Drop III - Toretate Zoukangou! (J) -- Toretate or Tore Tate?
Sakura Taisen 2 - Kimi, Shini Tamou Kotonakare (J) -- Kotonakare or Kotona Kare?
Soukyuu Gurentai (J) -- Soukyuu Gurentai or Soukyuugurentai? Soukyuu or Soukyu?
Thor - Seireioukiden (J) -- Seireioukiden or Seireiou Kiden?

6 (edited by AzureKite 2009-06-22 13:01:19)

I'll try to help with some of the titles.

Baku Baku Animal - Sekai Shiiku Gakari Senshuken - "senshuken"=champion
Blue Breaker - Ken yori mo hohoemi wo - "yori" and "mo" are particles, "hohoemi"=smile
Cat the Ripper - 13Ninme no Tanteishi - "tanteishi"=detective, "13ninme"=13th (not called for, but writing "me" separately would make  no sense, imho)
Conveni!, The - Ano Machi wo Dokusen Seyo - "Ano Machi"="that city", "dokusen" is monopoly and though "seyo" is a suffix (imperative), best to leave it separate. Thus, title would sound like "Conveni - monopolise that city!"
Farland Saga: Toki no Michishirube -  "michishirube" is a standalone word, meaning "guidepost, guide"
Keio Yuugekitai - Katsugeki Hen
Kindaichi Shounen no Jikenbo - Hoshimitou Kanashimi no Fukushuuki - "Kindaichi" - seems like a name; "kanashimi"=sorrow; "fukushuuki" literally means "vengeful demon", correct me if I'm wrong, can't see it as two separate words. "fukushuu" itself means "vengeance", and "ki" as a standalone should be read as "oni".
Mahoutsukai ni Naru Houhou - "mahoutsukai"=magician/wizard, direct would be "the one who uses magic".
Momotarou Douchuuki - Momotarou is a Japanese tale character name; "douchuuki"="travel chronicle/record/journal", more like a term, not single word. Also, like a whole lot of a bunch of Japanese words this one is complex, but surely integral. Rough translation - Momotarou's Travel Journal.
Nobunaga no Yabou - Sengoku Gunyuuden - "gunyuuden" in English would be a bit long and translates as Legend of rival warlords, "den" part of the term holds the meaning of "legend" and being attached to a word (here it's gunyuu) makes quite handy and often seen construction "Legend of..."
Nonomura Byouin no Hitobito - I'd vouch that Nonomura is a name of hospital (byouin), "hitobito"=people/person
Ochige Designer Tsukutte Pon! - "tsukutte" is a verb "tsukuru"(make) in its -te form
Pukunpa - Joshikousei no Houkago...  - simple, "joshikousei"=high school girl, can't be written separately.
Tengai Makyou Daishi no Mokushiroku - The Apocalypse IV - "daishi no"=fourth, "mokushiroku"=apocalypse
Quiz Nanairo Dreams - Nijiirochou no Kiseki - "nanairo" is basically "seven colors", as with other words for colors this one is also written together; "nijiiro"=rainbow-colored, and if you're really sure that the correct romanization is "nijiirochou", then it's one word ("chou" is Chinese reading of that kanji and isn't used as a standalone word, for which you use it's Japanese reading - "machi")
Sangokushi Eiketsuden - "sangokushi"="records/chronicles of three kingdoms", goku/koku is 2nd character there and cannot be divided; "-den" is again "Legend of..."
Sangokushi Koumeiden - same as the one above.
Shienryuu  - "ryuu" and nothing else, as it's a dragon in its flesh.
Shinrei Jusatsushi Taroumaru - "shinrei"=spirit; Taroumaru is a last name.
Shippuu Mahou Daisakusen - Kingdom Grandprix - good as it is, "daisakusen" is "operation". Also, dai/tai is never a separate word.
Shiroki Majo - Mou Hitotsu no Eiyuu Densetsu - "mou hitotsu"="another", "mou" means "more, already", so roughly it would be "one more legend of a hero".
Tenchi wo Kurau II - Sekiheki no Tatakai - "tatakai"=battle; "sekiheki" would be "red wall" also written as a whole, separately written it would be smth like "akai kabe" and would require kana character.

Hope that helped a bit. Few titles left untouched, not sure about them myself.

Great, thanks! I've removed the translated ones from my original post.

Now that we're on the topic of Japanese words... is it "mokushiroku" or "mokujiroku"? I've always seen the former, but someone (one of the mods, I suppose) changed this title and now I'm not so sure...

9 (edited by AzureKite 2009-06-22 20:27:25)

"Mokushiroku" can be found in dictionary. Though I don't exclude the possibility of different reading - Japanese is that kind of a language, but I think it's best to stick to dictionaries (if kana reading not provided in-game or elsewhere officially). Additionally, it's never a bad way to look up some anime titles and their respective romanization (e.g. Apocalypse of Devilman - Amon Devilman Mokushiroku). Can be helpful sometimes.