Hi all, i have a question pls smile

I have 3 old drives lying around, a LG GSA4167b (RO +667, WO +0), LG CRD-8483B (Read Offset +12, WO ?) and a Toshiba SD-M1402 (RO -472, WO ?). Wich one should i use for ripping PSX audio tracks? Are any of these good, or should i go out and buy a new one?

I think i should use and combine the 2 ones with +667 and -472 offsets just for diferent games right? thanks.

Use the one that can overread into the leadout.
Create a test CD in EAC and see which one can.
It'll be difficult to find a new drive that has this feature hmm

Ok thanks, i just found that the gsa4167b can not everread into the leadout (only the leadin). Now testing the 2 others smile

ssjkakaroto wrote:

AFAIK, only Plextors have this feature, but I've heard some rumors, that some recent LGs also support it (though, PerfectRip doesn't work with them, anyway). You can try to use the trap disc method, though (but, again, not all the drives allow it).

5 (edited by Devcon 2008-11-10 20:35:07)

That's pretty sad indeed, today i purchased one game that is not in the database that has an audio track:

. Resident Evil 2 (S) (Disk 1) [SLES-00976]
. Resident Evil 2 (S) (Disk 2) [SLES-10976]

So, actually there is no way of dumping that game other than with a plextor drive? I can try with the toshiba with has -472 RO, don't know if the audio track is equal to the European version of the game either.

Edit: I just found that EAC found a pregap in Track 2 of 0 seconds with the Toshiba drive, it must be 2 seconds if i look at the European version [SLES-00972]

6 (edited by iR0b0t 2008-11-10 21:18:51)

Track02 of "Resident Evil 2" should be a dummy track with 2 secs pregap,
you can try to dump it with two of your drives (high+ and high- offsets)
because dummy track will bring you anyway same results!

EDIT:
EAC can't detect pregap of a single audio track, like in this case wink
You can calculate pregap in IsoBuster, it is not very difficult.

PX-760A (+30), PX-W4824TA (+98), GSA-H42L (+667), GDR-8164B (+102), SH-D162D (+6), SOHD-167T (+12)

Thanks for the help. Finally the game is dumped smile the dummy track matches the european one smile

I still suggest you to try the trapdisc method.

F1ReB4LL wrote:

Sorry but i think the trapdisc method was only available to dump DC GD-Rom drives? It works on PSX games too? I can't see that method in the main psx dumping guide, can you point me to it please? smile

F1ReB4LL wrote:
ssjkakaroto wrote:

AFAIK, only Plextors have this feature, but I've heard some rumors, that some recent LGs also support it (though, PerfectRip doesn't work with them, anyway). You can try to use the trap disc method, though (but, again, not all the drives allow it).

There are plenty of drives (old ones) that can overread into the leadout. What is exclusive of plextors is the D8 read command.

@Devcon: Did you test the other drives?

ssjkakaroto wrote:

@Devcon: Did you test the other drives?

I only tested it with the LG GSA4167b (overread Lead-In) and a Toshiba SD-M1402 (no overread at all). Today if i have time i will test the LG CRD-8483B smile

Devcon wrote:
F1ReB4LL wrote:

Sorry but i think the trapdisc method was only available to dump DC GD-Rom drives? It works on PSX games too? I can't see that method in the main psx dumping guide, can you point me to it please? smile

You can dump everything. You don't need a hacked image, though, just generate a 700mb empty file and burn it on CD-RW as audiotrack, then use it as trapdisc.

F1ReB4LL: What's the advantage of using a trapdisc with regular CDs?

1) You can dump the whole CD, even if you can't read the last track completely due to your drive's reading offset.
2) You can determine the write offset using the 'Plextor's' method (by looking at the first sector in scrambled form). You don't need to use the px_d8 tool, just use IsoBuster's sector view on the 0 sector for the same output.
3) You can even dump such things as Saturn rings, for example.

Well, i tried using the trap-disc method and don't work for my reader, i opened an closed the tray a lot of times, but don't work, in fact, the reader scratched a little the game cd hmm but anyway thanks for the tip.

you should use a tool like startstop to speed up/down the drive to avoid damages on disc and drive tongue

***just edit the batch files, if you will use them!

PX-760A (+30), PX-W4824TA (+98), GSA-H42L (+667), GDR-8164B (+102), SH-D162D (+6), SOHD-167T (+12)

Btw, there's one more thing you should know:

<Vigi> yeah, when you push the tray back you have to do it with a certain amount of force (but still gently) so that it locks again.. but only some brands can be fooled this way

iR0b0t wrote:

you should use a tool like startstop to speed up/down the drive to avoid damages on disc and drive
***just edit the batch files, if you will use them!

I know, i used startstop first to speed down the drive roll wink

There are a lot of drives where the trap disc method doesn't work. I have tried it with 5 different drives, and only one (my Plextor PX-708A) works. And I can't even use it to dump Dreamcast discs, just normal CDs.

Works with my NEC ND-1300A. Doesn't work on LG drives (at least, on those I've tried) - their 'escape hole' is connected with the eject button.

The PX760A works with the trap disc method and it can dump everything (gdrom, xbox, etc.. except for gc and wii hehe) cool

Some Lite-On models are also capable of gdroms (for instance I have a SOHD-167T which supports it), but they're nowhere near reliable and foolproof as the Plextor (the swapping often doesn't work or it doesn't read well.. the plextor has no such problems: just close the tray and it works).

With that said, the PX760A is propably the best drive for dumping out there (it supports overreading and you can use px_d8 to detect any write offset), but finding one can be difficult these days.

Jackal wrote:

but finding one can be difficult these days.

Now I have bought one to the reserve, for less than 40 euros tongue