1 (edited by RiMMER 2011-07-06 04:02:33)

Hello,

I was trying to decrypt the DVD-Video DVDs for my own personal use and I got to a few problems.
I'd like you to look at what I've found.

I have tried decrypting the encrypted images by doing the following:
1) Mounting the image in the latest Alcohol 120%
2) Loading up DVD Decrypter and dumping the disc from the virtual DVD as mounted in Alcohol

Here are the results:

Discs that aren't encrypted at all (playable directly from redump images):

Biohazard 5 (Japan) (Disc B) (The Others)
Resident Evil - Collector's Edition (Europe)
Play Zone DVD 06-2001 (Germany) (Resident Evil - Code - Veronica & Devil May Cry)
Resident Evil Zero Non-Interactive Demo (USA)
Capcom Secret DVD (Japan) (En,Ja)

Discs that are encrypted, but could be found in DVD Decrypter and successfully decrypted:

Dino Crisis 5th Anniversary - CG Movie Collection (Japan) (En,Ja)
Making of Resident Evil 5, The (Europe) (En,Fr,De,Es,It,Nl)
Resident Evil 5th Anniversary - Wesker's Report (Europe)
Tokyo Game Show 2008 Capcom Special DVD (Japan)

Discs that are encrypted and CANNOT be found in DVD Decrypter:

Biohazard 4 - Wii Edition (Japan) (En,Ja)
Biohazard 4 (Japan) (En,Ja)
Biohazard Zero (Japan) (En,Ja)
Making of Resident Evil 4, The (USA)

The aforementioned dumps cannot be detected in DVD Decrypter. It says that "disc is not DVD". This was riddling me for hours, until I came to an epic realization. I have noticed that all of them are smaller than 700 MB, which may mean they are considered by DVD Decrypter as CDs, not DVDs.
I have also noticed that when I open any of those smaller than 700 MB in IsoBuster, I can actually choose the option "extract raw data (2532)", which leads me to believe that software simply detects them as CDs, not DVDs, right? And that's probably the reason why DVD Decrypter considers them CDs, instead of DVDs, but their size is divisible by 2048, therefore they are DVDs, not CDs.
So the only thing that we'd need to do is to "force-mount" them as DVDs and then DVD Decrypter should detect them correctly, I think.

Any idea how to proceed from this point on?

Thanks for looking at this!

EDIT: So are those CDs, or DVDs? Maybe we even have the dumps incorrect? Maybe they are CDs and the original dumpers should have dumped them in RAW data 2352 instead of USER data 2048 ?

those are DVD-Videos, they have a different format than VCD/SVCD, thats why they were pressed on a DVD and not CD.

you can append some dummy data in the end, let it decrypt, and resize again to the original size if needed.

PX-760A (+30), PX-W4824TA (+98), GSA-H42L (+667), GDR-8164B (+102), SH-D162D (+6), SOHD-167T (+12)

http://s3.amazonaws.com/kym-assets/photos/images/original/000/138/246/tumblr_lltzgnHi5F1qzib3wo1_400.jpg

Didn't think it would be so easy. Thanks, iR0b0t!