For the purpose of this discussion, "scrubbing" refers to removing garbage or empty data from a game dump. Also assume the process does not change the game data in any way; the game would still have full compatibility.

I don't see the point of not scrubbing games. Wii games in particular I am quite well versed in; these keep full compatibility even when scrubbed.

You've chosen the wrong forum for your question.

Scrubbed games are not 1:1 dumps, moreover it's not true they are 100% compatible. Yes, this is the wrong forum.

My patch requests thread
--------------------------------

4 (edited by do_0m 2010-11-08 03:51:02)

Where should I have posted this? I posted in "General discussion: Dumping, soft, emulation etc. ". Isn't this related to "dumping" and "emulation"?

edit: I see the error of my ways.

do_0m, they meant a wrong FORUM, not a forum SECTION, means we are NOT scrubbing anything wink

PX-760A (+30), PX-W4824TA (+98), GSA-H42L (+667), GDR-8164B (+102), SH-D162D (+6), SOHD-167T (+12)

6 (edited by do_0m 2010-11-08 03:57:46)

Oh really? Redump.org has no intentions of scrubbing anything? Never would have thought of that. >_>

I have no intentions of changing redump.org policy. It would be nice, but it would have several downsides. I'm guessing "no scrubbing" is a subset of "disc preservation". I thought it'd be interesting to see what individual members think.

Currently as I see it, the strict preservation policy is like preserving historical letters and documents through scans of the documents. Sure, preserving the documents themselves is nice, but no text is lost by transcribing them.

Where redump comes into that, I suppose, is that somebody must preserve the original documents so accuracy of the descendants can be verified.

Scrubbed images are bad dumps. A lot of bad dumps, also for cartridge systems, work well on emulators and /or backup on real machine, but they are bad. Many other bad dumps don't work well or don't work at all:

1) Many scrubbed GC games don't work because of streaming.

2) Some scrubbed Wii games don't work until some IOS are updated for them (this is a hack!)

3) Some scrubbed xbox1 don't work

4) Scrubbed xbox360 will never work (I don't know if they'll do on jtagged)

Redump was born to preserve 1:1 images or at least as near as we can. It's like you want to ask members if we want to preserve bad dumps. I hope nobody will never mind to preserve those bad dumps here, this is an example of what I was talking in another discussion.

I know new systems discs are quite big to archive but nobody force you to preserve them this way, it was only forced by Redump quality. In the future somedody might ask "why don't we preserve audio tracks in mp3 format?".

I'd like to remember that Redump is a preservation website and not a warez website.

My patch requests thread
--------------------------------

i do use it myself as the hard drive i use for my wii backups is quite small but it hasn't come across my mind to backup the scrubbed images, only 1:1s. i can always scrub them when i need to and there's no real need to keep the other (scrubbed) ones
when it comes to running backups from cd/dvd based media, 1:1 is really the only way to go even if the modchip allows multi-game discs.
no hard feelings smile

1:1  nothing else.  nuff said. the thread can get closed now

roll

Once again, the idea that Redump.org would switch from 1:1 dumps to something else is absurd. It would create much more trouble than it is worth, even from the point of view that nothing is lost when scrubbing.

This thread was not created to sway Redump.org policy to something else. I was wondering what individual members thought and why they think that way.

What I'm most interested in is the idea of scrubbing with 100% compatibility vs. a 1:1 dump. If you had a collection of 50 discs, and you wanted to back them up to prevent disc rot or whatever, would you even entertain the thought of scrubbing in this scenario?

In this scenario, it is similar to preserving 100 pages of classic literature vs. preserving the same 100 pages and another 50 pages of random text.

I never mentioned GameCube or Xbox because those scrubs are problematic. I only know the facts surrounding Wii scrubs, and that is the only console I mentioned.

It is not accurate to say MP3 compression preserves music - it is a lossy format. It is like preserving the songs on a LP rip vs. preserving the entire lead-in to lead-out, including spaces at the end of a side with no music at all.