1 (edited by Specialt1212 2010-05-09 03:56:15)

I'm having trouble dumping Rhaosody, I used the following two commands to correct track 1 which matched the database entry

FPCopy64 -r "track01.bin" -352800

psxt001z.exe --fix "track01.bin"

I used IsoBuster to check the pregap just to make sure that its really 2 seconds and it is, the garbage started 150 sectors back, however the px_d8 log shows msf as 00:02:02. Is the MSF value the pregap because on all the other games I have checked it's listed as 00:02:00?

I can't get track 2 to match even if I add 2 second pregap to track 2.

C:\z>px_d8.exe e 0
Sector: 0
MSF: 00:02:02
Combined offset: -2468 bytes / -617 samples

Here is the EAC log of track 2 incase you notice anything incorrect in here...

EAC Log

Exact Audio Copy V0.99 prebeta 4 from 23. January 2008

EAC extraction logfile from 5. May 2010, 21:15

Unknown Artist / Unknown Title

Used drive  : PLEXTOR DVDR   PX-708A   Adapter: 1  ID: 1

Read mode               : Secure
Utilize accurate stream : Yes
Defeat audio cache      : Yes
Make use of C2 pointers : Yes

Read offset correction                      : -617
Overread into Lead-In and Lead-Out          : Yes
Fill up missing offset samples with silence : Yes
Delete leading and trailing silent blocks   : No
Null samples used in CRC calculations       : Yes
Used interface                              : Native Win32 interface for Win NT & 2000
Gap handling                                : Not detected, thus appended to previous track

Used output format : Microsoft PCM Converter
Sample format      : 44.100 kHz, 16 Bit, Stereo

TOC of the extracted CD

Track |   Start  |  Length  | Start sector | End sector 
    ---------------------------------------------------------
        1  |  0:00.00 | 38:15.21 |         0    |   172145   
        2  | 38:15.21 |  3:07.46 |    172146    |   186216   

Track  2

Filename C:\Documents and Settings\Special-T\Desktop\Track02.bin

Peak level 98.8 %
     Track quality 100.0 %
     Test CRC A912AB5D
     Copy CRC A912AB5D
     Copy OK

No errors occurred

End of status report

MSF has nothing to do with track02 pregap.

Probably your audio track has no pregap (it's 352800 shorter) you have to create a dummy (0x00) 2 sec file and merge it with your track: check "FIXING ANOMALIES" chapter in SS dumping faq you'll find a package to fix it in 2 secs.

My patch requests thread
--------------------------------

Thanks for the quick response,

Is that package included in your post the same thing as generating a 2 second pregap and merging it with the original track 2 to create a new track02good.bin file? See example below.

psxt001z.exe --gen pregap.bin 352800

copy /b pregap.bin+track02.bin track02good.bin

If it's not the same thing, how would I know when to use the bat files if I'm dumping a new game with the same problem?

it could be that some audio data gets cut off along with gap, because of large negative offset.
replacing gap with dummy data isn't 100% safe.
you could take image with IsoBuster on gap sector range and look for 1st byte different from 0x00.
data track image, before gap is removed, might work as well.

5 (edited by velocity37 2010-05-09 06:04:19)

Yeah, on negative combined offsets, EAC cuts off data from the beginning of track 2.

In order to combat that, you can dump the track manually in ISOBuster.

For this game specifically, in ISOBuster, right-click extract from-to the 2nd track. First, click the End Address bubble, then subtract 150 from the start LBA. Extract.

Open the resulting file in a hex editor. Insert 2,468 (617*4) bytes of 00 at the beginning, and delete 2,468 bytes from the end.

If you're uncomfortable with hex editors, you can instead:
psxt001z.exe --gen offsetfix.bin 2468
copy /b offsetfix.bin+track02.bin track02good.bin
FPCopy64 -r "track02good.bin" -2468

For other games, there's a couple of precautions to take. Firstly, always calculate the correct number of bytes to shift with offset * 4. The second, and most important, is that if the game has >2 tracks, you have to delete track 3's pregap from the end of the file in addition to some bytes.

The only other precaution I can think of is that ISOBuster will not have error recovery as good as EAC, so if you're going to use this method for a new entry, be sure to dump it a couple of times (preferably in a couple of drives, too).

Yes Specialt1212, the command is the same. By the way as themabus said you may have some data cut off.
As you have a plextor simply dump it with PerfectRip.

Velocity, Isobuster extracts audio data in unscrambled mode or in wav format, you will get a bad track with your method.

My patch requests thread

7 (edited by velocity37 2010-05-09 20:06:39)

Rocknroms wrote:

Velocity, Isobuster extracts audio data in unscrambled mode or in wav format, you will get a bad track with your method.

Not if you use "Extract RAW", which is what "Extract From-To" uses by default.

I have matched dozens of -647 offset tracks from ISOBuster with EAC rips from my GH20NS15 (+667). If this were the case, EAC would also have to give bad data.

Renegade Racers, Track 2 EAC GH20NS15:

Track  2

Filename C:\!Redump\NotSubmitted\RenegadeRacers\GH\Track02.bin

Pre-gap length  0:00:02.00

Peak level 96.5 %
     Track quality 100.0 %
     Test CRC 3B68D7A0
     Copy CRC 3B68D7A0
     Copy OK

Renegade Racers, Track 2 ISOBuster + Hex editor PX-760A:

Calculating hash of 22127616 bytes file `C:\!Redump\NotSubmitted\!ActuallySubmitted\RenegadeRacers\T2-PX`...

SHA-160     : 032FAB688A27767B20C878DEC7F303275FC65855
MD5         : C4A8A3E3F2D4FE7A0414C9EFB0176591
CRC-32      : 3B68D7A0

Calculation took 0.374 seconds

velocity37 wrote:

Not if you use "Extract RAW", which is what "Extract From-To" uses by default.

You are right, sorry I was "out of business" for some times  roll

My patch requests thread

9 (edited by Specialt1212 2010-05-11 14:58:44)

Thank you all for responding and offering assistance.

velocity37 wrote:

If you're uncomfortable with hex editors, you can instead:
copy /b offsetfix.bin+track02.bin track02good.bin
FPCopy64 -r "track02good.bin" -2468

Why would I need to resize track 02 by 2468 bytes? I haven't done this on any of my other 2 track dumps?

I usually just do the following when dumping a 2 track disc

FPCopy64 -r "track01.bin" -352800
      (assuming the pregap is 2 seconds)

psxt001z.exe --fix "track01.bin"

psxt001z.exe "track01.bin"

(assuming the pregap is 2 seconds)

Should I be using the FPCopy64 -r "track02good.bin" -2468 command for all 2 track discs?

I tried my normal method of dumping then used the above command to resize track 2 but it still didn't match the database entry.

I tried dumping this disc with Perfect Rip (using the Sega CD guide in the forums) & it matched the database entry exactly. I guess my only question is why can't I get the disc to match the database entry through the normal method of dumping? Are we sure that perfect rip is producing accurate results?

-2468 are the bytes in offset -617 => 617 x 4. IsoBuster dumps a track with no offset correction, so you do it manually.
You have to dump track with IB, not with normal method.
Now that I read better Velocity method there's a mistake because IB does like CDRwin and attaches gap to previous track. So to get the right track (for a single audio track CD) you have to add also pregap manually.
I suggest to use "remove" to work on those bytes (you can find it in some themabus threads or in the SS faq)

By the way this method can return bad results for tracks with strange sectors like some SS/CD32 disks.

PerfectRip and EAC have their pro and cons this is why it's better to use both (if you have a plextor) along with a subcode analisys when required.

My patch requests thread

11 (edited by Specialt1212 2010-05-11 18:37:37)

-2468 are the bytes in offset -617 => 617 x 4. IsoBuster dumps a track with no offset correction, so you do it manually. You have to dump track with IB, not with normal method.

But I thought that was what the copy /b pregap.bin+track02.bin track02good.bin command is for, isn't this adding the pregap to track 2?

Also I was able to verify other 2 track games such as Dino Crisis 2 without using a remove or resize command, all I used on track 2 was

I'm still a little confused on when I should be using the remove / resize command. I just want to make sure I understand in case I encounter a disc with a similar issue.

Lastly, since EAC didn't show any errors, how would I know that I have a bad dump of track 2 (assuming this game was undumped and not in the database)? Since EAC and Perfect Rip are coming up with two different results how do I know which one is correct?

But I thought that was what the copy /b pregap.bin+track02.bin track02good.bin command is for, isn't this adding the pregap to track 2?

yes it's adding. If you get bad result after adding pregap you simply got a bad dump.

resize => deletes bytes
remove => moves bytes from file to file

You have to use resize to cut pregap from the end of data track (but you can use remove too and than delete the temp file created). Resize is better when you have to move bytes from a track to another.

The command you use is exactly what you have to do, but about DC2 you are lucky because there's no byte lost due to negative offset.

EAC result on single audio track discs is always bad because it doesn't dump pregap and may cut of data if you have a negative offset (moreover if there's data in pregap this will be lost at all).
EAC shows error only if it finds error on disc or if cannot overread. The "no-pregap" issue is a bug.

Simply use PerfectRip (you have a plextor and dumps are also speeder) to dump all tracks, then check data track with Isobuster and audio with EAC. If track02 doesn't match is because of cutoff data, data in pregap, etc. so forget EAC for those tracks.

If you got strange gaps, and if EAC gaps don't match PR ones, you have to submit a subcode.

My patch requests thread

13 (edited by velocity37 2010-05-12 00:12:20)

Rocknroms wrote:

Now that I read better Velocity method there's a mistake because IB does like CDRwin and attaches gap to previous track. So to get the right track (for a single audio track CD) you have to add also pregap manually.

That's why I had him dump a sector range starting 150 sectors early, to include the pregap that technically lies at the end of track 1. If I'm not mistaken, the CD layout in ISOBuster looks like this:

http://i40.tinypic.com/fkpnk5.png

Thus, for a 2 track disc you have to keep the same end address but set the start address back (into t1's sector range) to include track 2's pregap. In a 3+ track disc with linear gaps, for all but the last you start early with a relative end, which adds a track's pregap and simultaneously removes the next track's gap. Give or take a sector or two to later account for the offset.

Specialt1212 wrote:

I'm still a little confused on when I should be using the remove / resize command. I just want to make sure I understand in case I encounter a disc with a similar issue.

Offsets shift data, resulting some of it to lie in a normally inaccessible range.

http://i40.tinypic.com/2ibmbeo.png

The effect is that, for a negative offset, the data is pulled back into the pregap, and the pregap is pulled partially into the data track (unaddressable). The data is still in an addressable area, but unfortunately since it lies in the pregap located in track 1 (like the graphic above), EAC refuses to read it. This data that is pulled back into the pregap is lost, so in your case 617*4 bytes from the beginning of the track's data is replaced with 00s.

For positive offsets, the data is pushed past the end of the track, so we need a drive that can over-read.

Since EAC refuses to read into track 1's range, we can use ISOBuster to do this. We dump track 2, but modify the sector range in extract from-to to include its pregap that lies in Track 1. The end result is that we have a track of the proper length, but mis-aligned due to the offset.

Here's where copy /b and remove fits in.

With our negative offset, we lose the first 617*4 bytes of the pregap to the data track, so we have to put it back. We generate some dummy data with psxt001z to account for the lost bytes, and stick it back at the beginning of the track.

Now our track is 617*4 bytes too long, but the data at the end never belonged to the track to begin with (this is that white space at the end of the rectangle). We can safely delete it.

The result is that we've re-aligned the data back into its normal area.

That's why I had him dump a sector range starting 150 sectors early

Sorry I should be blind, by the way this is always risky if you have data in pregap as ISObuster scrambles those sectors to match audio.

If I'm not mistaken, the CD layout in ISOBuster looks like this

Yes layout is right. As above: within data and audio you can lose data (let's say that you can recover it if it's simply empty) with this method (probably not with psx, but with SS/CD32 it can happen).

My patch requests thread

I'm having similar issues to Specialt1212 so thank you for the great explanation velocity37.

I have multiple copies of several PS1 games and I have found two games so far (Rayman, Darkstone) with identical data but different offsets (+2 and -617?). The end result is that my +6 drive can easily dump the +2 copies and have it match the database, but I have the same problem as Specialt1212 with the -617 copies. In ISO Buster's 'Sector View', the -617 disk's data is identical to the +2, but it's pushed back by about 1 1/4 sectors.

I decided I'm not going to dump a game whose offset doesn't produce the measurable 'garbage' data to assure the total offset because the odds of me making a mistake if I manually extract an audio track is just too high.

Thank you both for the help! I'm pretty sure I understand the concept now. But just to make sure, the only time I would need to use the FPCopy64 -r "track02good.bin" -2468 command would be if I have a negative offset, correct?

And I may need to adjust the -2468 value depending on what the combined offset is, correct? I assume the calculation would be, combined offset times 4.

In the future I'll probably dump any new discs using Perfect Rip and compare them using ISOBuster + EAC. If I find any discrepancies I'll dump the track 2 manually using ISOBuster.

17 (edited by velocity37 2010-05-12 06:56:52)

Specialt1212 wrote:

the only time I would need to use the FPCopy64 -r "track02good.bin" -2468 command would be if I have a negative offset, correct?

And I may need to adjust the -2468 value depending on what the combined offset is, correct? I assume the calculation would be, combined offset times 4.

Yes. If you have a combined negative offset, dump the first audio track in ISOBuster.

For two track games, push the end address bubble and subtract the length of the pregap from the start address (150 for two seconds, for instance.) For multi-track games with identical gap lengths, do the same without hitting the end address bubble. For games with differing gap lengths, check the end address bubble, then subtract track 2's pregap length from the start address, and track 3's pregap length from the end address.

Use the following commands on the resulting ISOBuster BIN file, where the number is (offset*-4). For -617 combined, this would be:
copy /b offsetfix.bin+ISOB_T2.bin ISOB_T2Good.bin
FPCopy64 -r "ISOB_T2Good.bin" -2468

------

I've also had a couple situations where EAC would give a sync error on a flawless disc (My GH20NS15 fares fine, but my PX-760A and FX54++M don't like these weird discs). PerfectRip does well here, but for those where this is not an option, you might also have the need to manually extract a track on a disc with a positive combined offset.

The method is a little different. Before you touch anything in the extract from-to dialog, if the combined offset is >+587, you need to divide it by 588 and add that to the start address (while the length bubble is still ticked). After you've done that, set the dialog options as you would with a negative offset disc. After that, add +1 to the start address (and the end address field if that is checked). If you had a large negative offset, pretend the resulting bin file has an offset of the remainder. For instance, my GH20NS15 is +667, so with a +2 disc (+669 combined) I would add 1 to the start address and pretend herein that the offset is +81.

Once you have your dump (with real or pretend offset), we have to get rid of that extra sector we added. This is different from a negative offset, since we have to delete data from the beginning and end of the file. You fire up a hex editor, delete offset*4 bytes from the beginning, and 2352 - (offset*4) bytes from the end. On my GH20NS15, this would mean 324 bytes from the beginning and 2028 bytes from the end.

I have no idea why EAC does that on specific discs in specific drives, but every time I've manually extracted the tracks, they match EAC on the GH20NS15 and PerfectRip on the Plextor.

I've also had a couple situations where EAC would give a sync error on a flawless disc (My GH20NS15 fares fine, but my PX-760A and FX54++M don't like these weird discs). PerfectRip does well here, but for those where this is not an option, you might also have the need to manually extract a track on a disc with a positive combined offset.

When you find a situation like this it's always better to submit subcode and check it. When a sync error happens at 99% you have data sectors in audio pregap (due to sync error, one of the situation I talk about above) and pregap lenght could be different from what you see both in EAC and PR. It has been discussed in the past and those bytes have to be saved as they are on disc, so if you use IsoBuster you can get a bad dump.

In the future I'll probably dump any new discs using Perfect Rip and compare them using ISOBuster + EAC. If I find any discrepancies I'll dump the track 2 manually using ISOBuster.

If you find discrepancies, submit a subcode taken with CloneCD and with the right options.

My patch requests thread

That's good to know. Such sectors would be in like, track 5 though?

Here's a sub of one of the discs it happened on, at the end of track 5. ISOBuster says the pregaps are all 00s.

TOC of the extracted CD

Track |   Start  |  Length  | Start sector | End sector 
    ---------------------------------------------------------
        1  |  0:00.00 | 17:08.66 |         0    |    77165   
        2  | 17:08.66 |  0:33.51 |     77166    |    79691   
        3  | 17:42.42 |  1:28.38 |     79692    |    86329   
        4  | 19:11.05 |  3:00.62 |     86330    |    99891   
        5  | 22:11.67 |  0:43.00 |     99892    |   103116   
        6  | 22:54.67 |  1:06.03 |    103117    |   108069   
        7  | 24:00.70 |  1:00.71 |    108070    |   112640   
        8  | 25:01.66 |  2:32.06 |    112641    |   124046   
        9  | 27:33.72 |  0:05.71 |    124047    |   124492   

GH20NS15 gave:

Track  5

Filename C:\!Redump\NotSubmitted\PSM03\GH\Track05.bin

Peak level 100.0 %
     Track quality 100.0 %
     Test CRC 70B5EA80
     Copy CRC 70B5EA80
     Copy OK

While the plextor did:

Track  5

Filename C:\!Redump\NotSubmitted\PSM03\PX\Track05.bin

Suspicious position 0:00:42

Peak level 100.0 %
     Track quality 97.5 %
     Test CRC 099CEF93
     Copy CRC 099CEF93
     Copy finished

With a sync error. The disc is spotless, and matched CRCs when using PerfectRip and ISOBuster to extract on the Plextor. Any clue?

Post's attachments

PSM03.7z 393.5 kb, 14 downloads since 2010-05-12 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

The file you uploaded is corrupt, if it's a sub it's better to upload it to mediafire than here. I'll check once uploaded.

By the way it's not the same situation I'm talking about. This disc probaly has some sectors EAC+plextor don't like (probably due to drive speed).

ISOBuster says the pregaps are all 00s

You don't have to follow IB sector viewer because sectors will be moved by offset correction.

My patch requests thread

Argh, I forgot. This forum truncates 7z files.
Mediafire: http://www.mediafire.com/?4ugyum5wnzl

What's weird is that my Mitsumi FX54++M also sync errors.

TOC

Track   Mode       Flags   Start               Length
-----------------------------------------------------------------
01      DATA       4       00:00:00 (     0)   17:06:66 ( 77016)
02      AUDIO      0       17:06:66 ( 77016)   00:33:51 (  2526)
03      AUDIO      0       17:40:42 ( 79542)   01:28:38 (  6638)
04      AUDIO      0       19:09:05 ( 86180)   03:00:62 ( 13562)
05      AUDIO      0       22:09:67 ( 99742)   00:43:00 (  3225)
06      AUDIO      0       22:52:67 (102967)   01:06:03 (  4953)
07      AUDIO      0       23:58:70 (107920)   01:00:71 (  4571)
08      AUDIO      0       24:59:66 (112491)   02:32:06 ( 11406)
09      AUDIO      0       27:31:72 (123897)   00:07:71 (   596)
Leadout                    27:39:68 (124493)

Pregap is 2.00 for all tracks and track5 doesn't seem to have any issue.

My patch requests thread

I'm glad you guys suggested using both EAC & PerfectRip because I ran into an unusal situation with Brigandine.

The IsoBuster /EAC dump matches the database but the PerfectRip one doesn't, I'm not sure which one to trust.