So, I bought a bottle of Brasso recently, and found that it fixed my scratched PS2 game (before I got errors in IsoBuster, but after using Brasso it extracted fine). TossEAC and puppydee also reported that it worked for them, so following iR0b0t's suggestion, here's a thread about it. I guess some people are already familiar with this, but I didn't know they sold the stuff where I live, so I never tested it until now big_smile

Here we can discuss things like:

- The best method for repairing

I only fixed 1 disc so far, so I have no idea how I can get the best result. Here's a youtube vid that I found: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zpEYqdLXWo

If people want to describe or even show their method in a video, plz do so

- Places to buy Brasso

In my country I can just buy it at the local supermarket for less than 2 euro.

- Difference between 150ml liquid bottle and 75g wadding can

Puppydee has the wadding one, so maybe he can tell us what's different about it and if it's better than the liquid one?

- How long (how many CD's / DVD's) does a bottle last usually?

cool

2 (edited by tossEAC 2010-04-20 01:51:37)

It works really well, I think the wadding may scratch the disc more than the liquid, because you can use a really soft cloth with the liquid, the wadding is like cotton wool buds. The wadding sort I used to use on my nans brass ornaments.

It can take up to 10 mins to get all the scratches off a disc, and you will need to keep re-applying brasso to your cloth, every few minutes. Once you got the scratches of buff it up a bit with a clean cloth, then wash it in warm water and fairy liquid to get it cleam, then dry it with a soft clean cloth, then once its dry, for best results, spray it with a bit of mr sheen or anti-static furniture polish, and buff it again, that will get it dead shiny and will help it stay dust free.

If your shopping in England, supermarkets sell it in the cleaning isles.

BTW: It's only worth doing discs that are completely and totally scratched to hell, if it's a mint condition disc with a tiny surface scratch that makes no difference to how it reads, brassoing will not do your disc any favours, it will look more scratched than when it started.

But if its really bad to begin with, you wont get it like a brand new disc, what you will get is a disc with no big scratches but a lot of very faint rub marks, which means it will now read but wont look like a brand new original.

Basically you can take really bad discs and make them work, and look, a lot better.

He who controls the SPICE... controls the UNIVERSE!
The SPICE must flow.

It fixes PAL Dreamcast and PSX plastic cases up like NEW smile. Youv'e got give it a go. smile.

The SPICE must flow.

Lol anything it can't do?  big_smile plastic surgery maybe?

5 (edited by tossEAC 2010-04-21 00:30:09)

The results on the cd boxes compared to cds, is boxes come up looking like new, or very, very near to new.

Give it a go on one of your scratched cd boxes Jackal, it's so worth while.

I done about 10 minutes brassoing, and breathed the fumes for the same time, and it gives you a thumping head-ache, so be carefull.

The SPICE must flow.

6 (edited by puppydee 2010-04-21 01:08:12)

Its took me 4 hours getting a disc to work, i fought it sector by sector and it has some pretty deep scratches but to look at it now you wouldn't think the scratches had been there. I must of polished it about 50 times but in isobuster now it say's the disc is in good working order doing a surface scan. So even if your disc is pretty scratched and giving errors you can get it to work again using a bit of elbow greese and patients. I've done 5 discs now and all 5 are working flawlessly so stick at it. I'm using brasso with the wadding and one of them yellow soft cloths. Apparently T-cut works aswell but Brasso is the best and it's cheaper.

Oh and if you've got a caravan with plastic windows you can use it to remove the scratches. My friend told me that today.

Playstation2 Collector Extraordinaire  A.k.A deathsquad...
Applying for super noob status! :)

I got a new tin of brasso, and I also got a tin of "Silvo", which I think is made by the same people as Brasso.

I know it's very similair to brasso, but I haven't tested it yet. When I do I'll let you know how it is.

I got a 150ml tin of Silvo for less than £1, it was on offer.

The SPICE must flow.

I guess tossEAC found a new drug to inhale - Brasso big_smile

looks like i would need to import 2 or 3 cans from Great Britain :x

Yeah I too had the smell stuck in my nose the other day.. It contains ammonia, so best to use outside or in a ventilated garage or something

tongue Doesn't get you very high, but I was sure the veins in my eyes where getting bigger.  I was having serious side-effects, otherwise known as "coming down".

The SPICE must flow.

I have just got hold of a 7oz tin of Plexus Plastic Polish, the smell is gorgeous, a bit like smelling brand new plastic, similiair to selotape smell, but lots nicer. I will be dreaming of the smell all week, its so lovely smile YUM!

Only kidding, if brassoing really scratched discs - ISNT YOUR CUP OF TEA - but cleaning mint discs that may have got some greasy finger marks on, and your sick of regular aerosal polishes, that leave it looking less than perfect.

If you want dirty otherwise mint condition discs, looking and feeling like new again. Then get some Plexus Polish.

It's the only polish I would ever use on my psp 3000, that is still scratch free, and now its clean again too.

I could do with scanning the back of a ps2 disc I just Plexussed, I looked at it, and didn't seem to be scratched but was marked a bit, I cleaned it with Plexus and it looks brand new.

The polish was designed for Space Ships (Planes) smile and costs £12 for a 7oz tin (198g).

Simply put... YOU CAN'T BEAT IT (EVER).

The SPICE must flow.

tossEAC, you gave me the idea to buy scratched discs on ebay & co, dump them, fix them with brasso & plexus and sell them again for more money. i have many of them here. i couldn't find brasso in stores yet sad

Hi Ghazy, yes, it's a bit hard to find here smile I found only 2 German online shops... the first one wants more than 10€ for shipping and minimum order is 20€ so you'd have to buy 4 bottles -.-

The second one looks much better, "only" 5€ for shipping and no minimum order. I'm thinking about ordering one or two bottles there myself smile

14 (edited by tossEAC 2010-05-01 22:27:02)

brasso & plexus IS A WASTE OF PLEXUS, sort of.

brasso is amazing for really badly scratched discs.

plexus is amazing also, but for your very precious un-scratched discs, and psp screens.

you won't get them looking as good as new if you brasso.

but if they are like 'mint' with some dirt, grease or whatever, polish will get them good but plexus will get them absolutely perfect, but only if they are technically perfect to begin with.

I actuall went to a cheep second hand shop, and went through all the ps2 discs, rejecting any scratched ones, but keeping anything I thought would be ok once polished, as a matter of fact out of about a hundred games I found about 10 that were just a bit dirty, but not scratched.

The SPICE must flow.

thanks for your replies mates. now things are a bit clearer for me wink

You could try ASDA supermarkets (uk) for brasso, order online, and maybe they'll send it at a reaonable price.

The SPICE must flow.

17 (edited by Specialt1212 2010-05-02 22:32:54)

Couldn't you just use the Game Doctor? It's suppose to buff out the scratches on a CD and/or DVD?

I live in the USA and it was sold at Software Etc. & EBgames when it was popular a couple of years ago.

Specialt1212 wrote:

Couldn't you just use the Game Doctor? It's suppose to buff out the scratches on a CD and/or DVD?

I live in the USA and it was sold at Software Etc. & EBgames when it was popular a couple of years ago.

I have both the manual and the automated version of that thing and it works nowhere near as good as advertised. In most cases I've had no improvement whatsoever.