A custom built PC/CONSOLE.

With full compatibility of every system, containing system boards from every console all fully wired into a State of the Art PC mainboard with the dumps, stored on multiple raid configured hard drives.

Every joystick port from every system all fully wired into the mainboard, shared cd/dvd rom drives using only those drives that could be made to boot original discs if needed.  big_smile

With a reprogrammable bios for every sytem which could be flashed with every single bios ever made even all the mod chips, ooooocchh!  tongue

You would really have a job making such a sytem  sad  , but it could be made if you knew litterrally everything about everything.  cool

He who controls the SPICE... controls the UNIVERSE!
The SPICE must flow.

2 (edited by tossEAC 2010-04-16 02:24:40)

I can't wait to read your views on this, no this seriously should be made. smile

I've had a think,

The data passes like this DISC-->LASER-->CONSOLE BOARD-->CONSOLES VIDEO LEAD-->SCREEN-->EYES

So what we want is power to all of the console components for starters.

This is just like playing on your console inside a pc shell. But the intresting thing would be all the components that use standard PC connectors could be passed to the PC in some way quite easilly. And ultimately to the dumps in certain cases (XBOX PS2).

The SPICE must flow.

3 (edited by tossEAC 2010-04-16 02:53:04)

Or you could craft a unit that contains space for every system, then firstly all the video leads would have the oposite end to the consoles, cut of and hard wired to a quality video switcher, soldered to the switcher, are the different output signal types, component, hdmi, vga, composite, etc etc. And the same for the audio, optical, stereo. Your crafted unit could be precision made once detailed blue prints were made. Then at least all the shells of the consoles could be discarded, just leaving the components in a big new shell. Anything like fans could all be improved and the same fans if well designed could be used to cool multiple sytems. You could even control two sytems from one drive for multiplayer situations. This is just the beginning and already I can see it taking shape. I would be happy with that system so far so good. But if we were to start hacking things could get messy or even better. It would all depend on you level of contention.

You could if you got this far easilly create a mod chip bank that contains mod chips wired securely to all the main boards.

The SPICE must flow.

I have something 'similar' but it only works for very old systems: an Altera DE1 board that i can configure as an MSX2+, Amiga 500, Spectrum or IBM-PC 8086  smile

That sounds amazing, didn't know such a thing even existed. But thanks for letting me know that.

Is the Altera DE1 board hard to come by, and what case does it go in.

The SPICE must flow.

It's pretty easy to configure and cheap, about 135 Euros. It comes without a case but has a top pvc protector:

http://www.terasic.com.tw/attachment/archive/83/image/DE1_show_500x.jpg

It NOT uses secuential emulation (like PC emulators) for the systems implemented but sintetization of the design all runing in parallel: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field-prog … gate_array

It comes with a SD card reader, VGA output, PS2 Keyboard/Mouse connector and 24 bit audio output.

A very fascinating board smile