Hello,
I'm a passionate collector from Italy, and I'm currently buying a Plextor PX-716A or PX-716UF at a reasonable price, to start dumping some PC games discs in my collection.
I've noticed in the wiki anyway a note saying that some other drives "Typically reads better than 71X and 70X models"
Should I consider this a warning about these models, or just a general note?

I was also reading the wiki for the dumping guides, and noticed that now there is a linux version of DiscImageCreator, but nothing is reported in the wiki about this linux version. Are dumps only made with the Windows version accepted?
Not a stopping point for me, but helps me organizing the future activities.

Thank you so much!

The better reads are mostly a general note, as some earlier drives tend to break down quickly due to manufacturing defects.  I myself have a PX-716A that I've been using for CD submissions for a couple years now, largely without issues.

And Linux DiscImageCreator/Redumper is accepted, of course, I've also used it myself before for submissions.  It just won't have an automatically pre-made submission info text file, which is done by MPF.  And even then, MPF.Check can be used to generate them afterward, although it only works with DiscImageCreator logs, not Redumper.

Edness wrote:

The better reads are mostly a general note, as some earlier drives tend to break down quickly due to manufacturing defects.  I myself have a PX-716A that I've been using for CD submissions for a couple years now, largely without issues.

And Linux DiscImageCreator/Redumper is accepted, of course, I've also used it myself before for submissions.  It just won't have an automatically pre-made submission info text file, which is done by MPF.  And even then, MPF.Check can be used to generate them afterward, although it only works with DiscImageCreator logs, not Redumper.

Thank you so much Edness for the answer!
I have just ordered a PX-716A and a 716UF yesterday, so your message re-assure me about its quality.
I should receive them in few days and then I will start my learning curve!

Welcome, obtain your password here.
(check the spam folder in case there will be no message in your inbox)

Please make sure you read and understand the dumping process and the way you have to submit the dumping logs before posting your dump info.
Dumping_Guides

Feel free to ask question on the forum, or via Discord about how to get started preserving games with Redump:
Discord

Hotmail, Outlook, Gmail and Web.de may block mails from our site.
If you have any problems and need to change your email please let us know.

Thank you Sadikyo!
Eagerly waiting for my drive to arrive and start working on them as soon as I've learned everything