I'm thinking about getting a new USB reader, but I've heard they have issues, and I'd be fine with just getting another internal drive.  Anyone have any experience with USB drives?  I do most of my ripping on Linux, but if I need e.g. AnyDVD I use the Windows box, and it would be nice to use the same drive either way. The drives I have right now are pretty ancient and weren't very good to start with. Since the last post I could find on the subject here was about a year ago, I was wondering what other people were using now.  I'd really like the drive to be dependable for ripping nearly anything I throw at it (if there is such a thing). Anyone have any suggestions?

I use a USB enclosure on an old CD burner I've had for years now that I use because it's the only drive I have that can overread and it's been working great (especially considering how old it is). I also have a LiteOn slim USB powered DVD Burner that works great as a reader but only OK as a burner (a lot of coaster especially with double layer discs). It all really depends on the brand you get. Your best bet may be to just get an internal drive with an enclosure since the internal drive's tend to have better quality over their external counterparts.