http://redump.org/discs/system/psx/sort … /dir/desc/

The ones which have EDC / NO-EDC releases in this list needs the real version vX.XX to be fixed. Collectors who have these images please post versions so they can be fixed, thanks!

My patch requests thread
--------------------------------

Lol.. but I agree that the 'EDC', 'No EDC' tags aren't ideal, especially because most 'No EDC' releases are original and 'EDC' are Platinum etc. rereleases.. it would look better to just leave out the 'No EDC' tag then and only add the 'EDC' tag to the newer release.

Hmm... why aren't they ideal?

They represent the same image, just one has EDC and the other not,
vX.XX would mean total different releases.

I would let everything like it is.

PX-760A (+30), PX-W4824TA (+98), GSA-H42L (+667), GDR-8164B (+102), SH-D162D (+6), SOHD-167T (+12)

Version field = vX.XX or revision

EDC or not has to stay only in ver. datfile, then we can discuss if it's better EDC or else or if it's better to have something similar to "vX.XX EDC" or put "EDC" as release (best in my opinion). I quite finished to edit all the "fantasy fullfill" of Version field, these are another example. How can you find Version of those games if it's not in DB?

My patch requests thread

ummm, since when are you PLAYSTATION expert?  tongue

PX-760A (+30), PX-W4824TA (+98), GSA-H42L (+667), GDR-8164B (+102), SH-D162D (+6), SOHD-167T (+12)

I'm not a PSX expert but I never see EDC / no EDC in CNF files as long as I never see a flying pig even if I'm not an expert of this animal

My patch requests thread

EDC / No EDC tag is used because that's the difference between the dumps.. one has EDC and the other one doesn't.. but what I meant to say is.. for the original, first release it is irrelevant to add a tag.. imho we should only add (EDC) to changed releases.. like we only add (Alt) to the releases that we think to be different from the original release.

Jackal wrote:

EDC / No EDC tag is used because that's the difference between the dumps.. one has EDC and the other one doesn't.. but what I meant to say is.. for the original, first release it is irrelevant to add a tag.. imho we should only add (EDC) to changed releases.. like we only add (Alt) to the releases that we think to be different from the original release.

I understood this and I could agree unless there's something better to differ dumps, but again this tag has nothing to do with Version and shuold be set elsewhere.

It should be good to have Version infos for these dumps so they can be fixed

My patch requests thread

Rocknroms wrote:

It should be good to have Version infos for these dumps so they can be fixed

There IS no version info on PSX games.. we ASSUME versions based on exe dates, so the one with the earliest exe date gets v1.0 and the newer one v1.1 etc..

And also, EDC / No EDC games have the exact same files. The only difference is the EDC bytes.. e.g. if you remove the EDC using psxt001z you get the No EDC version. They're essentially the same versions but with different mastering, that's why I think the (Alt) tag is more appropriate with the new naming convention.

Jackal wrote:

There IS no version info on PSX games.. we ASSUME versions based on exe dates, so the one with the earliest exe date gets v1.0 and the newer one v1.1 etc..

"Revision" would better for them, nope?

Ok, I will fix them removing EDC / No EDC from "Version" field and leaving only "EDC" for EDC releases in "Version (datfile)" field until something better will be decided.

PS: I don't want to look like mastermind, but it seems to me that many people use DB fields as custom fields and wrongly tags(ex. Version field for editions, Alt = Rev and so on. All mistakes that should "destroy" DB).

My patch requests thread

The problem is, we can't be sure in some cases which was first: the No EDC or the EDC..

Egg or chicken? smile

This EDC thing is a little bit confusing, let's see this rhetorical questions:
-why some discs have EDC and others don't, in discs with the same edition? ( http://redump.org/disc/5513/ - http://redump.org/disc/81/ Platinum ed. in this case)
-why the original release usually don't has EDC and the Platinum releases has (sometimes the time differenece between releases is only 3 or 4 months)?
-why almost all the discs that came out after 1998 have EDC?
Maybe Sony realised that it's better to make the discs with EDC...

Jackal wrote:

But there are exceptions:

-Same EXE date but different edition ( http://redump.org/disc/149/ - http://redump.org/disc/5037/ ...) ,sometimes the game files are the same but they include some promotional trailers or whatever, so it's ok to call, in such cases, edition v1.1 even if the game is unmodified from 1 edition to another (same EXE date)?
-Same EXE date and same edition ( http://redump.org/disc/1755/ - http://redump.org/disc/5470/ ... this shouldn't be (Alt) instead?)
-And why there are a lot of dumps in the DB marked version 1.1 (or 1.0) and there isn't in the DB the version 1.0 (or 1.1) of that game? i mean, even if the existence of such versions is known, i think it's better to wait until someone dumps them, to be sure...

Rocknroms wrote:

I never see a flying pig even if I'm not an expert of this animal

Obviously you never saw a Floyd concert otherwise you would know that pigs CAN fly  lol

"Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky?"

I think for most of those dumps that have a version number that there is only 1 version of in the database the reason they have that is because a lot of those games did have another version in the database but they were matrix dumps and the versions never got changed on the other dumps when the matrix dumps got removed...at least I'm aware of 1 game in which that is the reason for. I can't really say why the others are like that.

I thought that this was some interesting points for discussion and no one has nothing more to say?!
After all, all this tags (Alt, EDC, vx.x, etc) have direct influence in the filenames...

By the way, what is a matrix dump?

"Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky?"

RetroGamer wrote:

I thought that this was some interesting points for discussion and no one has nothing more to say?!
After all, all this tags (Alt, EDC, vx.x, etc) have direct influence in the filenames...

By the way, what is a matrix dump?

The issue is that I don't understand if everyone has understood tags, difference between "Version", "Edition" and "Ver. datfile" and relations with no-intro.
After opening this thread I understood that PSX vx.xx are simply conventional, there's no hint to call them that way so as Fireball suggested, as other people wants for other systems (systems that have real vx.xxx, however PSX was not suggested) and as in no-intro convention, it will be better to change them to "Rev x".
Moreover "Alt" is used only if there's nothing else to identify dumps. "EDC" tag could be used as Jackal said if "Rev x" is not possible.

My patch requests thread