We now have two proven methods for locating the version of a GameCube disc. It's printed on the ring code of the actual disc and it's located at offset +7 from the beginning of the dump. A difference in CRC32's is going to first alert us to a variation between two dumps so assuming the two dumps are good the next step would be to compare the ring codes version number and if those aren't available verify by checking at offset +7. So I fail to understand the reason for DOL MD5's checksums why would you ever use this information now. It even generates the same checksums for Disc 1 and Disc 2 of a game containing two discs. How is this helpful in anyway?

Coming from someone who dumps a lot of GC discs it would save me time not to have to rename my dumps then go into DOS just to check the DOL MD5 unless someone can give me a reason for it still to be useful.  I'm sure at the time it was a useful tool and I appreciate Organic's effort but now the information it produces seems unnecessary.  I would like to see ring codes mandatory for submission of new GC dumps and DOL MD5 optional.

I agree with you Havikoro, DOL M5 is not an issue on Wii and shouldnt be on GameCube also.. As you said version can be found on two different places, I think the ring and the First few lines with info about version and gamename from a HexEditor should be mandatory and not DOL MD5..

Lite-On SOHD-167T, NEC CDR-1901A, Plextor PX-712A, PX-716A, PX-760SA, Samsung TSSTCorp SH-D162D.
:: www.rawdump.net :: 2448 byte CD Preservation ::

Havikoro, sorry for delay.

I don't really know the need of dolmd5, as I said my point about exe date.

Months ago I've asked for a box about "streaming" or not (and maybe streaming lenght), that are the only data needed for preservation (like similar in PSX).
Header gives no particoular hint about this, also becuase it's not clear if straming on is 0x00 or 0x01.

Finally, in my opinion unusfull data has not to be preserved unless you want to make a full DB including everything about a game disc.

My patch requests thread
--------------------------------

Rocknroms wrote:

Finally, in my opinion unusfull data has not to be preserved unless you want to make a full DB including everything about a game disc.

I completely agree Rocknroms and thanks for your reply.