1 (edited by layzee 2021-03-30 14:40:39)

As some of you might have heard, a week or two ago there were rumours that the PSN store as we knew it would be closing soon and the official announcement was made today/yesterday. At the same time, access to the old PSN store (with the PS3/Vita/PSP content) from a desktop computer was blocked and now redirects to the revamped store (with only PS4 and PS5 content). The only way to access, purchase and download the old content is via the PS3 (ending July 2), Vita (ending August 27) and PSP consoles (also ending July 2). The problem: the user interface on the PS3 (which I used) is slow as molasses and unwieldy as hell. Makes browsing the store a massive headache compared to browsing from a PC.

I'm into game preservation so I'm just doing what I can to grab some stuff before they disappear especially gameplay-related DLC (extra stages, scenarios, characters, etc). I believe most or all of the free DLC has been backed up and they are making some progress on the USA region DLC. However, I'm into the paid Japanese-region DLC of which a decent chunk does not appear to have been preserved yet by NoPayStation and No-Intro. I'm not sure whether there are other people are pursuing the same thing as me.

In any case, I've gone ahead and bought a 10,000 yen Japan PSN card and slowly going through the DLC available and purchasing/downloading anything that stands out. I'm just one person with limited funds so I can really only buy DLC from the game franchises I'm interested in (see end of post). First and foremost, I focus on games that has not been ported/remade/remastered to other consoles (i.e. unique).

In terms of what kind of DLC I will buy, it will be prioritised as follows:

1. Major gameplay-related content (e.g. extra stages, characters, scenarios, etc)
2. Minor gameplay-related content (e.g. extra equipment, etc)
3. Cosmetic-related content (e.g. extra BGM, costumes, voices, etc)
4. Themes
5. Avatars

So far, I have bought the Japanese DLC for the following:

Hard Corps: Uprising (Konami) (945 yen)

Extra Characters
追加キャラクタ Leviathan
追加キャラクタ Harley
追加キャラクタ Sayuri

Akumajou Dracula: Harmony of Despair (Konami) (~2500 yen)

Extra Missions
全ての始まり
多くにして、一つなるもの
蝿の王
月風魔伝

Extra Characters
シモン・ベルモンド
リヒター・ベルモンド
マリア・ラーネッド
月風魔

Extra Music
BGMパック1
BGMパック2

I'll update this thread as I buy more stuff. I cannot stress enough how annoying it is to browse the PSN store with a PS3.
Looking at some of the Tales of... (Namco Bandai) and Legend of Heroes (Falcom) games, the total cost of DLC for a game could be more than 10,000 yen... more than the cost of the game itself.
I haven't figured out how to transfer the DLC files from PS3 to PC yet but I'll leave that for later.
Some more discussion on the topic: https://forum.no-intro.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3716
List of game franchises I'm focusing on: https://home.exetel.com.au/layzee/temp/ps3gamelist.jpg
Worth mentioning is that some DLC is only obtained directly from the game itself and not the PSN store: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/92 … p/77883327

Post's attachments

ps3.jpg 350.47 kb, 12 downloads since 2021-03-30 

psnjp.jpg 271.26 kb, 12 downloads since 2021-03-30 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

I went through the DLC list and I wrote down anything that I was even remotely interested in:

PSP
Dissidia 012 Final Fantasy
God Eater
Metal Slug XX
Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity
Senjou no Valkyria 2
Senjou no Valkyria E3 Extra Edition

PS3
Akumajou Dracula: Lords of Shadow
Arcana Heart 3
Asura's Wrath
Biohazard 0 / Revelations / 5 / 6
BlazBlue Central Fiction / Chrono Phantasma / Continuum Shift
Dark Souls
Dark Souls 2
Dead or Alive 5
Dead Rising 2
DMC
Drag-on Dragoon 3
Dragon Quest Builders
Dragon's Dogma
Final Fantasy XIII-2 / Lightning Returns
Front Mission Evolved
Guilty Gear Xrd
Kagerou
Kamaitachi no Yoru
King of Fighters 12 / 13
Legend of Heroes series
Lollipop Chainsaw
Metal Gear Rising Revengeance
Metal Gear Solid 5
NieR Replicant
Ninja Gaiden
Ninja Gaiden 3
Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2
Persona 5
Persona Dancing
Psycho Break
Rockman 10
Rockman 9
Senjou no Valkyria
Shirokishi Monogatari
Soul Calibur 5
Star Ocean 5 (13)
Street Fighter III
Street Fighter x Tekken
Tales of Berseria
Tales of Graces f
Tales of Vesperia
Tales of Xillia
Tales of Xillia 2
Tales of Zesteria
Tekken Tag Tournament
Tokyo Jungle
Ultra Street Fighter 4
Vampire Resurrection
Vanquish
Virtua Fighter

Vita
Biohazard Revelations 2
BlazBlue series
Catherine Full Body
Darius Burst
Dragon Quest Builders / Heroes
Dragon's Crown
Exist Archive
God Eater
Grand Kingdom
Itadaki Street Dragon Quest & Final Fantasy
Kagerou
Kamaitachi no Yoru
Legend of Heroes series
Metal Max Xeno (3)
Persona 3 Dancing
Persona 4 Dancing
Persona 5 Dancing
Phantasy Star Nova
Seiken Densetsu 2 Secret of Mana (1)
Senjou no Valkyria
Soul Sacrifice
Tales of Hearts R
Tales of Innocence R
Tokyo Xanadu
World of Final Fantasy
Ys 8

I made another purchase:

NieR Replicant (Square Enix) (880 yen)

Extra Missions
15 Nightmares (the English DLC calls it The World of Recycled Vessel).

I'll probably grab Drag-on Dragoon 3, MGS Revengeance, and Lightning Returns next. Maybe some Dissidia 012 stuff, Asura's Wrath, and Metal Slug XX after.

Any Star Ocean 5 fans here? I noticed how when you browse the SO5 DLC page, for a second or two the number on the left would say "15" but then it turns into "0" so no DLC for SO5. Some brief research shows that SO5 had DLC (e.g. extra items and equipment) at time of release. What's the story here? Are the DLC gone for good or can it still be gotten in-game? And are these items unique?

This DLC bug happens on other games too. Apparently Metal Max Xeno was supposed to have at least 3 DLC and Secret of Mana has at least 1 DLC. Both currently display zero DLC.

Another thing: Tactics Ogre (Square Enix) for PSP. The Japanese version has DLC but only one: "Extra Scenario 3". Apparently you need to beat the game to get the other DLC? How does that work? The English version of the game already has the DLC built in. Same thing with Lord of Arcana (Square Enix) - only one DLC: "Download Quest Pack Vol. 16". Where are all the others?

One last minor thing: when I browse the PSN store for too long, it slows down to a crawl and eventually crashes.

Anyway, that's enough for today.

They decided to not close the store after all, due to the shitstorm which the announcement caused: https://blog.playstation.com/2021/04/19 … perations/

max wrote:

They decided to not close the store after all, due to the shitstorm which the announcement caused: https://blog.playstation.com/2021/04/19 … perations/

PSP store will still close and we are far from having recovered all the PSP content.

My devices: Famicom, Mark III, NES, Master System, Super Famicom, Super Nintendo, Super NES, Game Gear, Mega Drive Mini, Mega Drive, Mega CD II, PC Engine CoreGrafx, PC Engine Mini, TurboExpress, PC-Engine DUO R, 3DO FZ-1, CD-i 210, CD-i 220, Playdia, Wonderswan Colour, PC-FX, NeoGeo AES, NeoGeo MV1-FS, IGS PGM, Saturn, Dreamcast, Xbox, GameCube, Wii, WiiU, 3DS XL, New 3DSLL, Switch, Famicom Mini, Super Famicom Mini, Playstation, PS 2 50004, PS 2 70004, PS 3 2004A, PS 4 Pro, PSP, PS TV, PS Vita and ... well sure I forgot something.