(A) printed on a cover/disc?
(B) internal? (EXE filename)
(C) both?

I was reporting only (A) so far.

I believe it Both, thou i think there was some confusion as which serial should be given priority and a discussion on it is going on here

http://forum.redump.org/viewtopic.php?id=3291

please discusses it here further!

I think the Japanese are to lazy to change Serial EXE, or they simply copy originals without some changes big_smile
(should only be a joke, don't take it seriously)

PX-760A (+30), PX-W4824TA (+98), GSA-H42L (+667), GDR-8164B (+102), SH-D162D (+6), SOHD-167T (+12)

(C) both
first have to be internal, second which is printed on the cover/disc.

For example...
This image was dumped from disc of SCPS-91004.
It was never dumped from disc of SCPS-10008.

How do you think about this?

well, this is just the shit about I talk here all the time, but nobody listen to me...

PX-760A (+30), PX-W4824TA (+98), GSA-H42L (+667), GDR-8164B (+102), SH-D162D (+6), SOHD-167T (+12)

http://forum.redump.org/viewtopic.php?id=2560

It appears that an exe was dissected to extract this 'serial' roll If that means that both the serial on the case and label and the serial in the exe filename are different, then I really don't see why SCPS-10008 needs to be there.. it could be just leftovers from old code that got compiled into the exe.

Anyway, I don't think there's any point in changing anything until the original version is dumped as well.

iR0b0t wrote:

well, this is just the shit about I talk here all the time, but nobody listen to me...

Maybe it's best to always use the serial on the label of the disc, and to list multiple serials in case several editions have the same checksums. And only list version numbers for different serial games in the database, not add them to the filename in the dat.

Anyway, I'm not gonna interfere with this. If anyone is gonna change stuff from now on, please make sure Dremora is aware of it, so that at least there's some sense in what's happening and more than 1 people are aware of the changes that are made.

Vigi wrote:

Maybe it's best to always use the serial on the label of the disc, and to list multiple serials in case several editions have the same checksums. And only list version numbers for different serial games in the database, not add them to the filename in the dat.

that is it what I have tried to say !

Vigi wrote:

Anyway, I'm not gonna interfere with this. If anyone is gonna change stuff from now on, please make sure Dremora is aware of it, so that at least there's some sense in what's happening and more than 1 people are aware of the changes that are made.

agreed !

Maybe it's best to always use the serial on the label of the disc, and to list multiple serials in case several editions have the same checksums.

i agree with Vigi on serials. but still i'd keep version for every different image, because it shows development hierarchy. it cold be like 1.xx 2.xx for different releases, maybe: major version for when next release has different image and minor for fixes within release, but it isn't so important. i just believe versions are good thing to have. for instance you could tell from name weither it's initial release or latest there is.

10 (edited by BadSector 2008-07-01 13:03:37)

Vigi wrote:

http://forum.redump.org/viewtopic.php?id=2560

It appears that an exe was dissected to extract this 'serial' roll If that means that both the serial on the case and label and the serial in the exe filename are different, then I really don't see why SCPS-10008 needs to be there.. it could be just leftovers from old code that got compiled into the exe.

According to my knowlegde its actually not leftover, what actually happened was that in the start Japaneses game didn't use to have system.cnf and serial files, they used to have psx.exe, and the serial number could only be seen by opening the exe file in notepad and searching for string BI or :BI. there were few exception where this method would fail and only way to know about ID of a game was to look at covers.

now its not that i am in favor of using the internal ID, as i said in other thread i would like to use cover ID myself. i provided ID for that game by extracting psx.exe coz that actually also exist in game image and according to me should also be present in the database.

since giving suggestion in not a bad thing here is my little suggestion (i tried to explain it in other thread but i think i didn't do a very good job coz of my bad english)

1) Use the ID on the cover
2) if two images have same CRC's but different ID's on covers use the original one in renaming the game and have both present in the database
3) as themabus said in any case use the version number also to shows development hierarchy.

for example
if we talk about these two game

http://redump.org/disc/3924/
http://redump.org/disc/1902/

i would say rename the first one using SCPS-10089 and have that serial in DB, then rename the second one using this ID SCPS-91208 but have both the serials in database. then add (1.0) to the first one and (1.1) to the second one to show its development hierarchy or some similar version number method.

Hopefully all this make sense.