Apologies for the noob question, but I can't find an answer in the wiki or the DiscImageCreator docs.

I have a number of prototypes for the Xbox and Xbox 360. I have dumped prototypes for other platforms, but not this one.

For the prototypes which are signed for use on a retail system, the standard method (DiscImageCreator xbox [drive] [filename] [speed]) works without issues using a drive with the Kreon firmware.

For the prototypes which require use of a dev/debug kit, DiscImageCreator immediately fails with the following type of error:

LBA[-16581121, 0xff02fdff]: [F:ExtractSecuritySector][L:1131]
     Opcode: 0xad
     ScsiStatus: 0x02 CHECK_CONDITION
     SenseData Key-Asc-Ascq: 05-30-02 = ILLEGAL_REQUEST - CANNOT READ MEDIUM - INCOMPATIBLE FORMAT

This occurs on every dev/debug disc I have, regardless of source or if it is a pressed disc or DVD-R. Attempting to dump via Xbox Backup Creator also fails, although its image browser is able to extract the contents of the discs' filesystems. I assume this is because the dev/debug prototypes are not secured in the same way as discs for retail systems.

For Redump-grade dumps of these prototypes, what process should I use? DiscImageCreator in DVD mode instead of Xbox? This seems to work if I also use the Kreon drive, but fails if I use a Plextor DVD drive. I have not had time to burn the DVD-mode dumps back to disc to see if they work.

When submitting dumps of prototypes on publisher-issued DVD-Rs (i.e. sent to game reviewers) is the ring code information still important?

dev/debug prototypes are standard dvd discs without protection, you have to use the default dvd reading method

Cut Into Fourteen Pieces wrote:

is the ring code information still important?

yes

PX-760A (+30), PX-W4824TA (+98), GSA-H42L (+667), GDR-8164B (+102), SH-D162D (+6), SOHD-167T (+12)

You can dump as IBM PC > DVD-Rom in the DICUI settings.

Also, I believe SOME protos are formatted in the regular Xbox manner, but MOST are standard DVD-Roms as iRobot said.

OK, thank you.

At least some of these seem to not be using a standard DVD-ROM format. I will do a more comprehensive examination over the weekend, but the one I'm dumping right now behaves this way:

- GDR-8163B
  - Shows it as an empty disc in Windows Explorer
  - Can dump an image of it in DVD mode using DiscImageCreator
  - Can extract files from it using the image browser in Xbox Backup Creator
- PX-716SA
  - Shows it as an empty disc in Windows Explorer
  - Fails immediately with an error about being unable to recover the table of contents when attempting to dump via DiscImageCreator
  - Haven't tried via image browser
- SH-D163B w/Kreon firmware
  - Haven't tried via Windows Explorer
  - Can dump an image of it in DVD mode using DiscImageCreator
  - Can extract files from it using the image browser in Xbox Backup Creator

I know at least one of the others behaved the same way. I have a couple of other drives I can try too. I'll dump them in DVD mode using several drives and see if the hashes match between any of them. I'll also try burning the dumps back to disc and make sure they're playable on the dev/debug kits.