Hello Redump!

Want to start by saying thanks for granting me an account. I've recently picked up an interest in creating perfect backups of all my disc-based media and am excited to give back to the community if I can. I do have a couple noob questions though.

1. I've ripped a handful of Gamecube and Wii games using CleanRip v2.0.0. These each have a *.bca, *.iso, and *-dumpinfo.txt file, and using the downloaded dats (GC available here, and Wii I downloaded from Dolphin's forums) they've been verified by CleanRip. Where do I upload these files to add them here? Is my understanding correct in that until I gain "Dumper" status (which I hope to do) I should create a forum post in the dumps forum and post all the data from the dumpinfo.txt?

2. For non-GC/Wii games, it is my understanding that the correct tool to use is DiscImageCreator and that depending on what I'm dumping, I need a specific drive? I had a hard time understanding how to use that tool (getting errors presumably due to my drive model), though I have had success generating files that match hashes in the redump database following an older guide using ImgBurn on some of my single-track PSX games. Is this sufficient to upload, or does it really need to be DiscImageCreator?

3. Regarding my drives, I currently have access to 3 drive models
- LG HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NSCO
- ASUS DRW-24F1ST c
- LG GT30L A1

I've tested the ASUS and know that it doesn't support the /d8 command in DIC and doesn't support "scrambling", but I admit I don't entirely understand what that means. Reading these forums, it seems I should test if it supports lead-in/lead-out reading, but I'm not sure how to do that. Are any of these drives good to use? How would I go about testing lead reading?

4. If none of the drives above are sufficient, where would I go about getting a Plextor drive? Their website doesn't list any drives at all, and though I've found a number of them on Amazon and Newegg, they all seem to be PX-8xx models, which I believe are not compatible with DIC. Is that correct?

Apologies if this is a little long winded and if these are super simple questions, but I had a hard time finding direct answers between the wiki and the forums, and want to make sure I'm working off of current and correct information before I spend a bunch of time making dumps that turn out to be invalid.

Thanks!

Hi and welcome,

As for point 1.

Please check the GC/Wii dumping guide at: http://wiki.redump.org/index.php?title= … Cube_/_Wii

In section 3 and 4 you can read which info in needed, how to find it and where to post it smile

Good luck!

BacoKarel wrote:

Hi and welcome,

As for point 1.

Please check the GC/Wii dumping guide at: http://wiki.redump.org/index.php?title= … Cube_/_Wii

In section 3 and 4 you can read which info in needed, how to find it and where to post it smile

Good luck!

Oh, silly me. Thanks. I had navigated away from that guide after I finished ripping a few weeks ago and completely forgot it had those instructions.

2 more questions:

5. When posting verification dumps, should I be taking pictures of all the various values I'm documenting? I notice most of the verification posts on here don't do that, but if something like that would prove helpful then I'll gladly do so.

6. I notice I now have Dumper status! (Yay! big_smile) Thank you! I see that along with that I now have access to the "New Disc" form in the database. Should I be using that to upload my verification dumps, continue to post verification dumps on the forum and reserve that for actual new discs that aren't in the database yet, or just pretend it doesn't exist and put all dumps new and verification on the forum?

Hi Drakmyth and congratulations on the dumper status.

Posting pictures is not necessarily required but they are very helpful in the verification process. When submitting new dumps, it is recommended to post them through the "New Disc" form, while the verification's remain on the forums.