It's not an easy thing to do, simple as that. We can explain it better, we can put screenshots or whatever, but the problem is that you will never find an easy method to dump a disc with physical protection. The method described is already tested multiple times and working. The SOHD drive was tested multiple times in comparison with other CD drives and it's proven to be the best that we know at the moment with LaserLock and ringed discs in general. Me and LoStraniero have dumped tons of FX Interactive games and we know that the method explained is reliable, thanks to the help of the tool from reentrant.
To be honest it doesn't look like the guide is too much hard to follow.
1) do a broken dump with DIC to get the offset, PVD and all that shit
2) dump with CloneCD, it takes three hours or more
3) save the CloneCD logs, sector 1000-3000 were skipped (for example)
4) use the CDArchive command with backwards reading as explained, from sector 3002 backwards
5) repeat the process if needed until you see that your drive won't read anything anymore
6) use again the CDArchive command with reading front (from sector 998)
7) repeat the process if needed until you see that your drive won't read anything anymore
8) merge all the data obtained to get a complete image
9) fix errors with CDMage
And also, DVDs are already working without any new drive. You can even use a cheap laptop drive. Just do a dump with CloneCD and then check if you can read some sectors backwards after the CloneCD dump. Most of the time you don't even get much sectors, just two or three more in my experience and in most cases. Just be careful to use the weird .cue file to load the iso inside CDArchive.
I really don't know what else i can do more... the guide follows the exact steps that we're doing. If there's something we can improve please let us know.
I've added the CDMage informations and link to download to the guide because it wasn't mentioned before.
Plextor: PX-W4012TU, PX-W5224TA, Premium, PX-716SA, PX-716A || LG GDR-8164B || Lite-On SOHD-167D
HP (Toshiba/Samsung): TS-H353A - Kreon FW || HP (Hitachi/LG): BH40N - crossflashed with LG BH16NS40 FW || Sony Optiarc AD-7280S