New here, and I'm guessing this is a commonly asked question, so apologies in advance. I understand the benefit of verifying games marked blue to ensure consistency, but is there any reason for me to submit verification for games already marked green? I've seen in the game pages that multiple dumpers have verified certain games, particularly more popular ones, but I wasn't sure if that was just people uploading to be thorough with their own collections or if it was something actually recommended and helpful for the project. If it is, are some games more useful to verify than others? My guess would be that the fewer verifications there are, the more helpful another one would be, but figured I'd check. Thanks in advance!

I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing and am just happy to be included.    PX-760A - BW-16D1HT - Wii

Perhaps there is, because from time to time games start to work incorrectly, because some file is damaged. This is all program code that sometimes crashes.

3 (edited by RetroGamer 2021-06-09 03:39:35)

Well, in my opinion, +1 verification is always welcome even if there are already a lot of dumpers for that entry...
Sometimes you can encounter a error in some field that went unnoticed...
And this is the better part of verifing dumps: you never know when you may find a missing revision or variant!

"Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky?"

Sometimes people don't include certain serials/barcodes from discs/boxes, so it can be useful to fill that info out.

RetroGamer wrote:

Well, in my opinion, +1 verification is always welcome even if there are already a lot of dumpers for that entry...
Sometimes you can encounter a error in some field that went unnoticed...
And this is the better part of verifing dumps: you never know when you may find a missing revision or variant!

This sounds reasonable and correct. You can always miss some detail that the other person will notice.

Good points all around! Even in my short time here, I've been thrilled to see that several of my dumps have been able to add previously missing information to existing listings. Happy to be a part of this awesome project!

I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing and am just happy to be included.    PX-760A - BW-16D1HT - Wii

Wonderful! It's cool when your work is useful and you see this benefit. This motivates further work.

More dumps with the same hash values also raise the confidence we can have in the correctness of the dump. So it's always worth it in my eyes.

If it's an alternate edition, alternate mastering code, alternate region, only has one dumper, is missing basic info like a barcode.
If none of these are true I don't waste my time.

All my posts and submission data are released into Public Domain / CC0.

10 (edited by wiggy2k 2021-06-16 19:40:41)

Green only really means 2  matching dumps.
IMO it's always good to have a verification.
Unless as User7 stated though, if there is already > 2 dumpers and I can't add some extra info like another region, barcode, release, mastering code etc. i still dump and submit them but i never expect them to be processed quickly, the mods only have so much free time

To give my opinion, it's not useful to buy a disc that's already green for the express purpose of verifying it again, but if you already have it (or bought it for some other reason), there's no harm in submitting dump info for it.