1 (edited by fuzzball 2021-01-31 13:52:42)

Why are 98/Towns hybrid discs registered in the FM Towns system?

fuzzball wrote:

Why are 98/Towns hybrid discs registered in the FM Towns system?

Because that's where I submitted them?

We ideally would have multiple system support for discs, but had to make a decision.

Because we can't assign more than 1 system, it can be only PC98 or only FMT. Most of the hybrids are mastered as FMT discs with IPL sectors and autorun, while PC98 (and Win3.1, Win95, Mac) versions are just installers.

F1ReB4LL wrote:

Most of the hybrids are mastered as FMT discs with IPL sectors and autorun, while PC98 (and Win3.1, Win95, Mac) versions are just installers.

This is because the PC-98 cannot boot from CD-ROM.
If both (98/Towns) are installers, will the disc be registered in the PC-98 system?

In my opinion, the hybrid disc should be registered in the PC-98 system, since the PC-98 is better known and sold in greater numbers than the Towns.

By the way, why are IBM PC(Win)/Mac hybrid discs registered in the IBM PC system?

YESS!!!

i am happy that there is more than just myzelf and FB discussing this.

What do we then do with PC (win3.1)/PC98/FMT/Win32 discs ?  (of which i have many)
- @irobot - we really need to add these discs into more than one system.

They should be one Disc entry in the Database / website  but should be entries in multiple DATS.

fuzzball wrote:
F1ReB4LL wrote:

Most of the hybrids are mastered as FMT discs with IPL sectors and autorun, while PC98 (and Win3.1, Win95, Mac) versions are just installers.

This is because the PC-98 cannot boot from CD-ROM.
If both (98/Towns) are installers, will the disc be registered in the PC-98 system?

When both are installers, the disc is usually still mastered as an FMT disc with a TMENU.ITM file pointing at its main .EXP file (something like autorun in Windows), while PC98 installers are just installers.

fuzzball wrote:

By the way, why are IBM PC(Win)/Mac hybrid discs registered in the IBM PC system?

Yes, I would move them all to the Mac section, Jackal doesn't allow to hmm