Hi everyone

I was thinking to write a program for PSX which can do good Merge, for those who don't know this is what i was thinking

Biohazard 2 (J) (Disc 1) (Leon Disc) [SLPS-01222] has these two files

Biohazard 2 (J) (Disc 1) (Leon Disc) (Track 1) [SLPS-01222].bin
Biohazard 2 (J) (Disc 1) (Leon Disc) (Track 2) [SLPS-01222].bin

and Resident Evil 2 (E) (Disc 1) (Leon Disc) [SLES-00972] has these two files

Resident Evil 2 (E) (Disc 1) (Leon Disc) (Track 1) [SLES-00972].bin
Resident Evil 2 (E) (Disc 1) (Leon Disc) (Track 2) [SLES-00972].bin

Since track2 is same we can have them in same dir like this

Resident Evil 2 (Disc 1) (Leon Disc) (Track 2).bin  (it can be finalized that which name should be used, the JAP US or EU)

This will save us some space. thou we will have to update our cue's a bit.

in the second process rather then have two 7zip file for

if we compress them in one file it will save lot of space.

but here is the issue, Packiso can't pack two files in one 7zip file. so is there any chance it can be update a bit to do so, offcourse only after i have complete my program.

any idea's suggestion or comments are more then welcome.

Biohazard 2 (J) (Disc 1) (Leon Disc) (Track 2) [SLPS-01222].bin

You forgot that Track 2 in this case is "dummy" track, and is packed only few bytes small !

if we compress them in one file it will save lot of space.

Why compress other image(s) whole, if you can add them as transfer patches in addition !

PX-760A (+30), PX-W4824TA (+98), GSA-H42L (+667), GDR-8164B (+102), SH-D162D (+6), SOHD-167T (+12)

3 (edited by BadSector 2008-04-14 17:51:12)

That was only a example. check Ace combat, it has 61 tracks, u save 250+mb space by just having same tracks in same dir.

and when u compress two file of same games, but different region using 7z solid archive option, the result will be almost same as if u have the original game and its patch, if not better size wise. if u want i can explain it in detail, or just search for goodmerge.

4 (edited by iR0b0t 2008-04-14 17:56:55)

Yes, I know what You mean, BadSector smile

but check this out, its my solution for audio tracks wink

PX-760A (+30), PX-W4824TA (+98), GSA-H42L (+667), GDR-8164B (+102), SH-D162D (+6), SOHD-167T (+12)

Ya it a very good solution, but most of the game have exact same audio tracks, so in those cases, it u just remove the Region/Serial info from there filename and from the cue file then u don't need the duplicates. not to mentioned, that u can generate those updated Cue file from the software itself.

It not that i didn't like ur idea, in fact it just provided me how can i add these kind of audiotarcks automatically, i am too lazy to write so many bat files. smile

and if u have the complete track1 file in the 7zip rather then the patch it eliminate the whole apply patch thing, and someone like me who have thousand of images it saves lot of time, not to mentioned again how lazy i can be.

I think it isn't necessary to do a complicated procedure for hundreds MB.
Time is a cure.;)

7 (edited by iR0b0t 2008-04-15 15:26:46)

As a programmer I may not be lazy wink

Ya it a very good solution, but most of the game have exact same audio tracks, so in those cases, it u just remove the Region/Serial info from there filename and from the cue file then u don't need the duplicates. not to mentioned, that u can generate those updated Cue file from the software itself.

If the games have exact same audio tracks, even easier it is, simply renaming the source files to other region using batch-file

I am too lazy to write so many bat files

It is not so heavy to create them! I could write an tool that do it for me wink

and if u have the complete track1 file in the 7zip rather then the patch it eliminate the whole apply patch thing, and someone like me who have thousand of images it saves lot of time, not to mentioned again how lazy i can be.

Also here you can automate this process!

iR0b0t wrote:

As a programmer I may not be lazy wink

well i have finished Projects 1n 48 hr's whose deadline was 1 week, so that one area where i may not be lazy, but then when i think it took me 5-6 day to make my mood to work on them, it balance the Situation wink

iR0b0t wrote:

I am too lazy to write so many bat files

If the games have exact same audio tracks, even easier it is, simply renaming the source files to other region using batch-file
It is not so heavy to create them! I could write an tool that do it for me wink

i think u didn't get exactly what i said (English is not my native language), my program will be doing something similar, just that there won't be any bat files, it will do all of that automatically. the only difference is that the same audio track will have universal name rather then regional name, thou option for regional name can be added

iR0b0t wrote:

Also here you can automate this process!

ya but there are few things

1) i am trying to reduce the number of steps to get another version,
2) in cases of patches i will need to scan then for CRC and have a database of those CRC to know and rename them properly. (every one will not have them in same name format) where as in other step i can use the existing database.
3) for someone who don't have a version of game, patch thing is good, it one of the few things i really like here, but if u already have that other region, there should be some method to store them effectively.
4) all the peoples here know how to work with these patch, but it can become difficult to explain the process on other sites, there are alway NOOBS.

The easiest process for NOOBS is not merge anything at all wink

clear mame already does that

well it seems there not much interest in it then, no need to develop it.

don't be fooled by a couple of opinions, i think there is great demand for such a tool!!!

of course, this tool is needed sooner or later (and sooner is always better). please, keep it up.

13 (edited by iR0b0t 2008-04-19 01:12:40)

BadSector, Your idea is great, but I cannot really help you a lot in the developing!
I wished I would have more time...

Here is my suggestion and what I think about it.

Data track titles only (is really simple)
Adventures of Alundra, The (E) [SLES-01135].bin
Alundra (J) [SCPS-10035].bin
Alundra (U) (v1.1) [SLUS-00553].bin

//PACK & UNPACK
//When no audio tracks found ---> pack or unpack chosen titles!

Titles with ALL IDENTICAL AUDIO tracks (is simple too)
Resident Evil 2 (G) (Disc 1) (Leon Disc) (Track 1) [SLES-00974].bin
Resident Evil 2 (U) (Disc 1) (Leon Disc) (Track 1) [SLUS-00421].bin

(E)(SLES-00972),(G)(SLES-00974),(U)(SLUS-00421) (Track 2).bin   ***my favorite smile

//PACK (audio)
//The tool should known that audio tracks are identical (by checking checksums).
//Remove whole title name and leave (Track #).bin only, then append all country codes.
//
//1. (E),(G),(U) (Track 2).bin
//
//In case of that, there are identical country codes with different languages, append all codes and additional serials.
//2. (E)(serial),(E)(serial),(G),(U) (Track 2).bin
//
//Or should we append serials for each country code???
//I think it is the BEST SOLUTION for all cases !
//3. (E)(serial),(G)(serial),(U)(serial) (Track 2).bin

//UNPACK (audio)
//In this case removing unneeded country codes and serials, suspended automatically by the tool.
//
//Example:
//---> get chosen country code, for example (U)
//---> get whole name from file (U) (Track 1)
//---> replace Track number, and unpack.

Titles with SOME SIMILAR AUDIO tracks (is a little bit complicated)

//I will edit it later when I have more time wink

/*
Tekken 3 (E) (Alt) (Track 1) [SCES-01237].bin
Tekken 3 (E) (Track 1) [SCES-01237].bin
Tekken 3 (J) (Track 1) [SLPS-01300].bin
Tekken 3 (U) (Track 1) [SLUS-00402].bin

Tekken 3 (E) (Alt) (Track 2).bin
Tekken 3 (E) (Alt) (Track 3).bin
Tekken 3 (U),(E),(E) (Alt),(J) (Track 2).bin
Tekken 3 (U),(E),(E) (Alt),(J) (Track 3).bin
*/