Has it changed?

http://redump.org/disc/4496/changes/
http://forum.redump.org/post/73059/#p73059

The change is probably wrong.

PX-760A (+30), PX-W4824TA (+98), GSA-H42L (+667), GDR-8164B (+102), SH-D162D (+6), SOHD-167T (+12)

3 (edited by sadikyo 2019-09-17 14:08:06)

Ok - let us address this here then so we are all on the same page going forward.  As I stated in that thread, it is not my intention to change any rules or conventions arbitrarily.

So, let us discuss.

Currently, there is a bit of a mixture in the database with EXE dates.  I know that for a long while now, DICUI has been pulling the EXE dates using a "UTC method" similar to what I described in the thread linked above.  I also know that other submissions have been using the recorded date per the dumper's isobuster / file explorers / or perhaps dump data such as voldesc.txt for certain console discs, etc.

There are good arguments for both methods, from a practical standpoint, etc., but we should definitely address and at least try to get on the same page.  I know that I have had this discussion with several mods who agreed that moving forward, UTC does seem to make sense as we can always arrive at that exact date, regardless of where the disc is dumped or what settings they are using.  However, this would need to be agreed on and/or commonly understood by everyone in the context of consistency in our database. 

As I mentioned, currently the database has a mixture of both methods, and it is impossible to know which is being used in which case aside from going through manually which is near impossible nor am I suggesting.

Moving forward, we need to have a definitive method and have everyone on the same page, for how to determine the build date.  There seem to be some differing opinions here, so we should hash that out and come to an agreement.

I'll clarify - I've only modified an existing entry in a few situations where I redumped a disc - and if it is formally decided to reverse the convention and NOT use the 'UTC style' as I presented, I will correct all changes I have made.  But, since currently DICUI is generating it differently, we really need to come to an agreement here and then disseminate that information / instruction fully.

I want to state that I do believe in both consistency and accuracy in the database, and I do agree that we need to do a better job of communicating all of the explicit rules and conventions for dumping, so that discrepancies like this are reduced in the future.  Thank you for bringing this up and we should definitely address it.

UTC is the standard and should be followed, local times mean nothing. The moderators should have disc images and can spend the time fixing the things that were added incorrectly, it will take ages, but it should be done. It could possibly even be automated, but... I'm not going into that.

Plextor PX-760A 1.07 (+30) : Plextor PX-716SA 1.11 (+30) : Plextor PX-W5224A 1.04 (+30) : Plextor PX-W4824 1.07 (+30) : Plextor PX-W4012TA 1.07 (+98) : Plextor PX-W1610TA (+99) : Plextor PX-W1210TA 1.10 (+99) : Lite-On LTR-48246S (+6) : Lite-On LTR-52246S (+6) : Lite-On LH-20A1H LL0DN (+6) : BenQ DW1655 BCIB (+618) : ASUS DRW-2014L1 1.02 (+6) : Yamaha CRW-F1 (+733) : Optiarc SA-7290H5 1H44 (+48) : ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.02 (+6)

5 (edited by sadikyo 2019-09-17 14:31:30)

Setting aside the logistical issue of 'correcting' what is already there, I think the first step is deciding definitely what the EXE date SHOULD be, or the convention that should be used.  We can discuss addressing errors in the database, but we need official agreement/consensus/understanding on what date/time should be used in the field.

I do not have an opinion and follow the decided rules.

If we even decided to keep the EXE Date (something I don't personally see utility in), then I vote for UTC, since in computing, the UTC date is the truth from which all other values are derived for timezones. We don't need every single person who decided to dump in their own timezone just happen to be a day off from someone else. It's not sustainable.

darksabre76 wrote:

If we even decided to keep the EXE Date (something I don't personally see utility in), then I vote for UTC, since in computing, the UTC date is the truth from which all other values are derived for timezones. We don't need every single person who decided to dump in their own timezone just happen to be a day off from someone else. It's not sustainable.

I agree completely.  I believe the concept of redump is to get information that is truly and objectively verifiable by anyone at any time, anywhere - so using a completely universal convention such as UTC in a case like this, seems to absolutely make the most sense in terms of what should be input for the EXE Date field.

Total agreement.

Plextor PX-760A 1.07 (+30) : Plextor PX-716SA 1.11 (+30) : Plextor PX-W5224A 1.04 (+30) : Plextor PX-W4824 1.07 (+30) : Plextor PX-W4012TA 1.07 (+98) : Plextor PX-W1610TA (+99) : Plextor PX-W1210TA 1.10 (+99) : Lite-On LTR-48246S (+6) : Lite-On LTR-52246S (+6) : Lite-On LH-20A1H LL0DN (+6) : BenQ DW1655 BCIB (+618) : ASUS DRW-2014L1 1.02 (+6) : Yamaha CRW-F1 (+733) : Optiarc SA-7290H5 1H44 (+48) : ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.02 (+6)

Has the rule changed?

@sadikyo
If it has not been changed, please discard EXE date change.

@sadikyo (or another mods)
bump

Have the rules for EXE date changed?
It needs to be announced.