1 (edited by user7 2019-07-16 05:35:36)

Attention *clears throat* *taps podium mic*

As many of you know I've been hunting PS-series PAL demos for quite some time. OPS2M PAL demos are particularly tricky for several reasons. One of the biggest reasons is that discs from Region A often get released into Region B and the data is modified between regions. This by itself wouldn't be an issue, however the disc label from Region A carries over to Region B, which conflicts with the Issue # and packaging Demo # from Region B.

For example:
This demo was released as an exclusive to Benelux. This serial number has never been spotted in another region. Now there are technically two different demo #'s this could be labeled as:

* Officieel PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 73 (referencing the disc #)
* Officieel PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 57 (referencing the packaging # and issue #)

I argue the disc # is the incorrect one to use because it is incongruent with the regional ordering. If we used disc titles for all regional variants and lined them up, you'd see numbers wildly skipping around.

In addition to Jackal modifying / favoring disc label numbering (which is unintuitive), he also is renaming entries with the UK titles, for example this entry is named: "Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 73". Nowhere on this disc or packaging does "Official PlayStation 2 Magazine" appear, period!

In addition, many other entries go by packaging / issue numbering (which makes perfect sense), however Jackal's modifications do not!

Here's another example: http://redump.org/disc/51793/
The packaging number is 9, the issue number is 9. It is the 9th disc released in the series in France.
HOWEVER! If Jackal's reign of terror continues, this would be relabeled as "ops2m demo 11" because that's what the disc label says. Is it from the 11th issue? NO. Is it listed as the 11th Demo on the packaging? NO. Is it arbitrarily called the 11th issue on the disc label because the disc label art was ported from another region? YES.

For these reasons, we should go with the packaging Demo #'ing system and not the inaccurate disc labels that Jackal is so keen to use and mess up the database with. Right now, Redump OPS2M regional entries are a mish-mash of packaging/issue and disc label numbering.

Please let us bring accurate order to this chaos, not add to the misinformation.

All my posts and submission data are released into Public Domain / CC0.

Post pictures, or this thread is useless. And it belongs in the fixes forum.

3 (edited by user7 2019-07-16 05:49:38)

Re-read. This is about choosing one system of numbering over another. This does not relate to a specific incident but MANY, but your arbitrary changing of the most sensible system of numbering of random entries.

There are two Demo #s on all OPS2M releases, you're choosing the irrational option for the titles.

Do you really think they just printed some random wrong demo number on the disc and you want to replace it with the magazine title and issue of 1 particular country and ignore all the others?

5 (edited by user7 2019-07-16 05:59:19)

Yes, they did this in many instances. They reused UK labels, even when modifying the data so that it does not match UK releases. That's why there's such a huge mismatch between packaging #s and disc label #s outside of the UK releases.

MOST disc label numbers do NOT match their packaging #'s for anything outside of UK.

The packaging numbers count like this:

The disc label numbers count like this:

6 (edited by Landcross 2019-07-16 06:58:22)

So, to sum it up there are two issues here?

• Inaccurate titles

• Inaccurate numbers

The first one I'm not sure about what 'side' to agree with. One one hand, of course we want to use the titles used on the disc/box, but... in the case of the magazine discs they can be all over the place I'd almost say to just use a 'custom' title to aid with sorting and searching. If Redump would support multiple (regional) titles per dump, then it would be a total other story of course, but for now we have to work with what we have...

As for the numbering: I think I agree with user7 there. If there's indeed reused labels with numbers that don't match the issue they were bundled with I rather have the package issue number than the label number on the title. Otherwise it becomes a bit of a clusterfuck for anyone not waist-deep into PS2 demos to see what has and has not been dumped. But, of course the label-printed number should be added to the comments section.

7 (edited by user7 2019-07-16 07:24:53)

>One one hand, of course we want to use the titles used on the disc/box

Well to be clear, the box has one Demo # and the disc label has another Demo # often. Within a region, the box Demo # flows in a stable order: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6..., whereas the disc label Demo # follows an uneven order: 3, 2, 7, 12. The reason is because the disc labels #s are adapted from the UK disc labels.

This usually doesnt matter because they'll match the UK entries (which are treated as master titles with sans-UK in their name), but when regional variants are unique builds, the waters get murky. This is why I believe using the packaging Demo # is more accurate, because the Disc Label #s are repurposed out from other counties out-of-order numerically. The disc label Demo # refers to "random grab bag region where we pulled disc label art from without updating it".

This is why it makes the most sense to use the packaging Demo #s.

However with NL Demo 80, it had a disc label # of 101. I can see this being a nice bookend and why it's tempting to name it as 101 in the redump entry, but in the context of all regions with exclusive variants, it's not the best approach due to the above mentioned chaos of disc label demo #s.

I understand some of the reasoning behind going strictly with what is on a disc - and I also understand that from a quality control / accuracy and ease of consistent submissions standpoint, that does streamline things and make it a bit easier. 

However, I'm also inclined to agree with user7 in this instance because there is solid logical reasoning for why naming them the way he suggests is more clear in a way, and better represents what those discs truly are.  I am ALL for adding comments and additional details that explain variances and such. 

As a user, when I am viewing and using the redump database, I'm looking at a disc and I want the title to tell me truly what the disc is.  If the disc is a game called Fire: Pass the Torch [hypothetical game], and the disc has an error that says Fire: Ass the Torch, whereas all of the packaging and everything else is "Pass the Torch" - do we name it "Ass the Torch" in the database because it is literally on the disc, though it truly misrepresents what the game is? I do realize that is a somewhat ludicrous example, but hopefully it illustrates the point.

Another example is this one:
http://redump.org/disc/53248/

The serial listed on the disc is 972227, but it is an error and should be 97227.  I believe the 'true' serial for this release is 97227.  While the issue is noted in the comments, personally, I think the database should be 97227, as the extra digit one is completely erroneous.

I know it's a difficult balance, because creating exceptions based on unique situations does make this more challenging.  But I also think it can provide other value and usefulness as well.  Some of things will just have to evaluated on a case by case scenario. 

IF you disagree with the above and have strong logical reasons for not doing so - that is completely fair - then please share those thoughts so we can hash it out and come to some finality on the issue and move forward - that would be great!

9 (edited by Jackal 2019-07-16 18:43:09)

In addition to Jackal modifying / favoring disc label numbering (which is unintuitive), he also is renaming entries with the UK titles, for example this entry is named: "Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 73". Nowhere on this disc or packaging does "Official PlayStation 2 Magazine" appear, period!

The disc title is "ops2m demo 73/benelux". ops2m = Official PlayStation Magazine.

There are other sources using the same naming: https://wiki.pcsx2.net/Official_PlaySta … ne_Demo_73

10 (edited by Jackal 2019-07-16 18:47:47)

Some discs were renamed by Lizard to have the issue number in the name instead of the disc number, because you told him so in the Fixes forum. So if there is someone creating a clusterfuck it's you. We have to stay consistent and either go with the disc numbers always, or come with another solution. Using the magazine titles and issue numbers doesn't appear to be a good solution, especially because different magazine issues from different countries can have the same disc. The solution that you provided for those cases of just picking one of the countries / issue numbers to go in the filename (and thereby ignoring the other ones) is unacceptable imo.

11 (edited by user7 2019-07-16 19:03:51)

>The disc title is "ops2m demo 73/benelux". ops2m = Official PlayStation Magazine.

The benelux demo is a regional exclusive for that serial number / data variant. A different number is on the sleeve, the correct chronological number in the series. Again, you're ignoring the fact that there are TWO demo #s for these releases and picking the one that is NOT linear to the local series.

>Using the magazine titles and issue numbers doesn't appear to be a good solution, especially because different magazine issues from different countries can have the same disc.

Its not just "Magazine titles and Issue Numbers" its the Demo Disc # on the sleeve. The sleeve demo numbers are ordered linear, the demo disc numbers are not.

>especially because different magazine issues from different countries can have the same disc.

These are already tracked inside the master (UK) entries - which are completely dumped, however this does not relate to regional exclusives.

> The solution that you provided for those cases of just picking one of the countries / issue numbers to go in the filename (and thereby ignoring the other ones) is unacceptable imo.

Its better to use one accurate title, than an inaccurate one. These regional exclusive discs are NOT released as the titles you're putting them as. You're ignoring the proper regional order and title/Demo# on sleeve, while defaulting to UK titles that don't even appear ANYWHERE on disc or packaging.

Here's an example of why your system of numbering is terrible.

Looking at AUS by going off the Disc Label Demo #s for issues 10-15, this is how your system would title them:

By going off the Sleeve Demo #s:

You're giving these entries Demo #s that came from re-used artwork, rather than their proper release order (sleeve demo #'s).

There are TWO Demo #'s on all these releases. You're choosing the bad system to act as title entries.

How about we all stop with the snarky comments and calling each other's actions clusterfucks and just focus on the conversation about proper submission / database conventions.  We can do so without getting all accusatory and negative with each other.  Thank you.

13 (edited by Jackal 2019-07-16 19:36:52)

In the end it all comes down to the filenames. Even if there is some logic behind the issue numbers of different countries' magazines, the question is if this logic can translate (at all) to the filenames and if it doesn't create a huge confusing mess.

Here are all the filenames after applying the disc title based / PCSX2 wiki naming scheme:

Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Crime Special (Europe)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 1 (Europe) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 10 (Europe, Australia) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 10 (Germany) (En,De)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 100 (Europe) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 101 (Netherlands)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 11 (Europe) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 11 (France) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 11 (Germany) (En,De)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 12 (Europe) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 12 (France) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 12 (Germany) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 13 (Europe, Australia) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 13 (France) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 13 (Germany)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 14 (Europe) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 14 (Germany) (En,De)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 15 (Europe) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 15 (Germany) (En,De)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 16 (Europe, Australia) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 16 (France) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 16 (Germany) (En,De)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 17 (Europe, Australia) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 17 (France) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 17 (Germany) (En,De)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 18 (Europe, Australia) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 18 (France) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 18 (Germany) (En,De)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 19 (Europe) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 2 (Europe, Australia) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 20 (Europe) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 20 (France) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 20 (Germany) (En,De)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 21 (Europe, Australia) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 21 (Germany) (En,De)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 22 (Europe) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 22 (Germany) (En,De)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 22-23 (France) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 23 (Europe, Australia) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 24 (Europe, Australia) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 24 (France) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 24 (Germany) (En,De)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 25 (Europe, Australia) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 25 (France) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 25 (Germany) (En,De)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 26 (Europe, Australia) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 27 (Europe, Australia) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 27 (France) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 27 (Germany) (En,De)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 28 (Europe) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 28 (Germany) (En,De)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 29 (Europe, Australia) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 29 (France) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 29 (Germany) (En,De)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 3 (Europe) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 30 (Australia)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 30 (Europe) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 30 (France) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 30 (Germany) (En,De)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 31 (Europe) (En,Fr,De,Es,It) (SCED-51556)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 31 (Europe, Australia) (En,Fr,De,Es,It) (SCED-51529)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 31 (Germany) (En,De)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 32 (Europe, Australia) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 32 (France) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 32 (Germany) (En,De)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 33 (Europe, Australia) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 33 (France) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 33 (Germany) (En,De)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 34 (Europe, Australia) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 34 (France)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 34 (Germany) (En,De)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 35 (Europe) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 35 (France) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 35 (Germany) (En,De)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 36 (Europe, Australia) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 36 (Germany) (En,De)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 37 (Europe, Australia) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 37 (Germany) (En,De)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 38 (Europe, Australia) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 38 (Germany) (En,De)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 38 (Germany) (En,De) (Uncut)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 39 (Europe, Australia) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 39 (Germany) (En,De)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 40 (Europe, Australia) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 40 (France) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 40 (Germany) (En,De)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 41 (Europe, Australia) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 41 (France) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 41 (Germany) (En,Fr,De,Es,It) (Uncut)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 41 (Germany) (En,De)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 42 (Europe, Australia) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 42 (France) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 42 (Germany) (En,De)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 43 (Europe) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 43 (Europe, Australia) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 43 (Germany) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 44 (Europe, Australia) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 44 (France) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 45 (Europe, Australia) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 45 (France) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 45 (Germany) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 46 (Europe, Australia) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 47 (Europe, Australia) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 47 (France) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 47 (Germany) (En,De)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 48 (Europe)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 48 (Europe, Australia) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 48 (Germany) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 49 (Europe)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 49 (France) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 49 (Germany)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 5 (Europe) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 50 (Europe, Australia) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 50 (Germany) (En,Fr,De,Es,It) (SCED-52796)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 50 (Germany) (En,De) (SCED-52090)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 50 (UK)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 51 (Europe, Australia) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 51 (Germany) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 51 (UK)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 52 (Europe, Australia) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 52 (Germany) (En,De)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 52 (UK)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 53 (Europe) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 53 (France) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 53 (Germany) (En,De)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 53 (UK)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 54 (Europe) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 54 (France) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 54 (Germany) (En,De)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 55 (Europe) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 55 (Europe, Australia)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 55 (Germany) (En,De)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 56 (Europe) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 56 (Europe, Australia) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 57 (Europe) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 57 (Germany) (En,De)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 57 (UK) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 58 (Europe) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 58 (Germany) (En,De)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 58 (Spain, Portugal)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 58 (UK) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 59 (Europe, Australia) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 59 (Germany) (En,De)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 59 (UK) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 6 (Europe) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 60 (Europe, Australia)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 60 (Germany) (En,De)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 60 (UK) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 61 (Europe) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 61 (Germany)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 61 (UK) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 62 (Europe) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 62 (Germany)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 62 (UK) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 63 (Europe) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 63 (Germany)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 63 (UK) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 64 (Europe) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 64 (Germany) (En,De)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 65 (Europe) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 65 (Germany) (En,De)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 66 (Europe, Australia) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 66 (Germany)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 67 (Europe) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 67 (France) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 67 (Germany)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 68 (Europe) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 68 (Germany) (En,De)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 69 (Europe) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 69 (France) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 69 (Germany)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 7 (Europe) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 70 (Europe, Australia) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 70 (Germany) (En,De)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 71 (Australia) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 71 (Europe) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 71 (France) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 71 (Germany)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 71 (Spain, Portugal)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 72 (Europe) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 72 (France)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 72 (Germany)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 73 (Europe, Australia) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 73 (Germany) (En,De)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 73 (Netherlands)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 74 (Europe, Australia) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 74 (Germany)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 74 (Spain) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 75 (Europe, Australia) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 75 (Germany)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 76 (Europe, Australia) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 76 (Germany) (En,De)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 77 (Europe, Australia) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 77 (Germany)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 78 (Europe) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 78 (France) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 78 (Germany) (En,De)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 79 (Europe, Australia) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 79 (Germany) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 8 (Europe) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 80 (Europe) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 80 (Germany)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 81 (Europe, Australia) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 81 (Germany)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 82 (Europe) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 82 (Germany) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 83 (Europe) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 84 (Europe) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 84 (Germany)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 85 (Europe) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 86 (Europe) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 87 (Europe) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 88 (Europe) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 89 (Europe) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 9 (Europe) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 9 (Germany) (En,De)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 90 (Europe) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 91 (Europe) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 92 (Europe) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 93 (Europe) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 94 (Europe) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 95 (Europe) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 96 (Europe)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 97 (Europe) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 98 (Europe) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 99 (Europe) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Germany Special 2-2005 (Germany)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Germany Special 3-2005 (Germany)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Germany Special Edition 01-2004 (Germany) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Germany Special Edition 1 (Germany)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Germany Special Edition 2003-01 (Germany) (En,De)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Germany Special Edition 2003-02 (Germany)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Germany Special Edition 2003-03 (Germany)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Germany Special Edition 2007-1 (Germany)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Greatest Hits Vol.5 (UK) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Sonderausgabe 2004-3 (Germany) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Special Edition 11 (Europe)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Special Edition 12 (Europe)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Special Edition 13 - Girls! Motors! Guns! War! Monsters! (Europe) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Special Edition 14 (Europe)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Special Edition 15 (Europe)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Special Edition 16 (Europe)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Special Edition 17 (Europe)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Special Edition 18 - Hot 100 (Europe) (En,Fr,De)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Special Edition 19 - 2004 Classics Hitlist (Europe) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Special Edition 20 - It's Here! (Europe)
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Special Noel 2004 (France) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)

There are even regional variants with the same serial: http://redump.org/disc/11941/ & http://redump.org/disc/45372/ so there's a definite logic behind this naming and this logic would go away when using the magazine titles / issues.

Except for the Italian ones, which are unaltered and seem to have inconsistent naming: http://redump.org/discs/quicksearch/ufficiale/

Jackal --- I do see your point regarding the naming when looking at it from a global perspective.  I guess the challenge here is what should come first as the guiding principle for naming?  On the one hand, when looking at it from a global perspective, the sorting makes sense looking at what you shared.  On the other hand, when looking in a particular region, the numbering and sorting doesn't really make much sense. 

So I think both perspectives have some merit and aren't completely illogical. 

However, let's look at another sample of this concept.  When you look at a game that is released in multiple regions, but has slightly different names (whether due to language, or even just other regional changes), we ultimately choose the name of the item by that region's "correct" localized name, as opposed to matching all of the titles just to have a sort of worldwide consistency.  So from that perspective, user7's sugggestion is a bit more consistent with that ideology. 

I realize the difference here stems from the discs themselves having the copied disc art with a number that doesn't seem to match up to that region's sleeve / info.  So I can see somewhat the alternative perspective.  But traditionally speaking, when I'm looking at an individual submission and looking at that particular item for that particular region, it seems logical to me at least, to try to pick the best name that applies most to that particular region.  I think this is something that there just may be different viewpoints on.

sadikyo wrote:

On the other hand, when looking in a particular region, the numbering and sorting doesn't really make much sense.

There are still some skipped numbers, which are undumped discs, if that's what you mean.

16 (edited by TonyLizard 2019-07-30 11:14:38)

Regarding the IT names i should say that the titles used in the datfile are not exactly matching the cover and the disc.

For example:
http://redump.org/disc/49580/
the datfile title is "Magazine Ufficiale PlayStation 2 Demo Italia 09/03"

https://crimson-ceremony.net/demopals/ops2mit/it200309-1.jpg
the cover says "PlayStation 2 Magazine Ufficiale - DVD Demo 15"

https://crimson-ceremony.net/demopals/ops2mit/it200309-2.jpg
the disc title is "ups2m demo italia 09/03"

I haven't added them myself to the database, i've just sent them when i was not a mod yet, but they can be corrected of course.
We should decide to put the cover name or the disc title as the main name inside the datfile.
My opinion is that the cover title may be easier to order and it's easier to get a consistent file name for all the entries. Starting from "PlayStation 2 Magazine Ufficiale - DVD Demo 01 (Italy) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)" and going on. Or, if we want to take an "international" title to be consistent with all the other entries, the title may be "Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo 1 (Italy) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)" for example.

Plextor: PX-W4012TU, PX-W5224TA, Premium, PX-716SA, PX-716A || LG GDR-8164B || Lite-On SOHD-167D
HP (Toshiba/Samsung): TS-H353A - Kreon FW || HP (Hitachi/LG): BH40N - crossflashed with LG BH16NS40 FW || Sony Optiarc AD-7280S

17 (edited by user7 2019-07-17 17:38:33)

Presuming we stay with Jackal's numbering system, then the Italian entries should be modified to line up with the other OPS2M demos.

For example if the title should be renamed: Official PlayStation 2 Magazine Demo [number relating to UK release contents] (Italy).

Which carries none of the original information. I'm not sure why Italy did not receive the Jackal naming treatment yet, but Germany has - both of which refer to dates on their disc labels and not issue numbers.