http://redump.org/disc/14889/

Baldur's Gate - The Original Saga (World) (Disc 4) (Soundtrack - Music by Michael Hoenig) ([PC] Baldur's Gate - The Original Saga Bundle)

Does this name needs to big this huge? 137 characters. I get sql error in romcenter, clrmamepro wants to delete all the files, sometimes windows doesn't copy them if they exceed 255 characters. It is not convenient. I don't see this name in this cd scan https://www.mobygames.com/game/baldurs- … rId,17599/

http://redump.org/list/miss/Jackal/audio-cd/

Suchie-Pai Mecha Genteiban - Hatsubai 5 Shuunen Toku Package (Japan) (Mecha Omake CD) (Bundled with [SS] Idol Janshi Suchie-Pai Mecha Genteiban - Hatsubai 5 Shuunen Toku Package)

Hoshi no Kirby - 20 Shuunen Memorial Soundtrack ~ Kirby's Dream Collection - Special Edition (USA, Japan) (Compilation Soundtrack) ([Wii] Hoshi no Kirby ~ Kirby's Dream Collection Bundle)

Atelier Elie - Elie no Atelier - Salburg no Renkinjutsushi 2 (Japan) (Opening Drama CD) (Bundled with [PSX] Atelier Elie - Elie no Atelier - Salburg no Renkinjutsushi 2)

Thank F1ReB4LL for making up these filenames. All the stuff in the Version (datfile) field has no real purpose imo. The information about what it came bundled with should go in comments or edition field instead of the filename.

Just an example of how wrong the naming is:

https://i.imgur.com/iYwcuqg.jpg

F1ReB4LL filename (completely ignoring the disc title):
World Soccer Winning Eleven 6 + World Soccer Winning Eleven 2002 (Japan) (Demo of [PS2] World Soccer Winning Eleven 6 + [PSX] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2002)

Proper filename (IMO):
World Soccer Winning Eleven 6 + World Soccer Winning Eleven 2002 (Japan) (Promotion DVD)

or alternatively (but as argued before, I think it's better to put it in Disc Title and leave only game titles in Title field):
World Soccer Winning Eleven 6 + World Soccer Winning Eleven 2002 - Promotion DVD (Japan)

I'm not gonna touch any other Audio-CD's. It's not my mess.

Jackal wrote:

Proper filename (IMO):
World Soccer Winning Eleven 6 + World Soccer Winning Eleven 2002 (Japan) (Promotion DVD)

or alternatively (but as argued before, I think it's better to put it in Disc Title and leave only game titles in Title field):
World Soccer Winning Eleven 6 + World Soccer Winning Eleven 2002 - Promotion DVD (Japan)

Neither: the "Promotion DVD" is an edition variant of "Demo".

Jackal wrote:

The information about what it came bundled with should go in comments or edition field instead of the filename.

Why do you remove that information from the Edition field, if so?

ghost wrote:

It is not convenient. I don't see this name in this cd scan

What exactly don't you see on the CD scan? The only doubtful parts there are "World" (since it's the USA release, according to the barcode) and "Disc 4" (since there's no number on it, so it should be "Baldur's Gate - The Original Saga (World) (Soundtrack - Music by Michael Hoenig)"). Regarding the next tag, this was already discussed years ago, the CDDA, VCD and DVDV/BDV dumps should be somehow tagged to indicate the system they represent. Since Dremora didn't like the idea to add the bonus discs into the same dats with their 'parent' games, we need to tag them properly, so, people, who only interested in PSX-related audio discs (for example) could easily sort out the needed files and ignore the rest.
Ideally, it should contain the game title, but at the very least, it should contain the system name or acronym and something to understand the reason of its inclusion into the dat. Something like "Bundled with PSX Game", "Bundled with Magazine", "Promo for PSX game", "Related to PSX game" (also, do these variants need the articles? since the "PSX game" technically means many copies) or something similar. Another possible variant is to put some tag before the title, something like "[PC] Baldur's Gate - The Original Saga (World) (Soundtrack - Music by Michael Hoenig)".  I'm all ears to your ideas.

F1ReB4LL wrote:

Ideally, it should contain the game title, but at the very least, it should contain the system name or acronym and something to understand the reason of its inclusion into the dat.

Why? That can be noted in the entry's Comments.

All my posts and submission data are released into Public Domain / CC0.

user7 wrote:

Why? That can be noted in the entry's Comments.

"so, people, who only interested in PSX-related audio discs (for example) could easily sort out the needed files and ignore the rest".

These are the 'special' systems and their sections aren't intended to store all the releases for them, so they need to follow the special rules. And don't forget that the majority of people won't be able to see these entries and their comments, so the tags _must_ be in the dats.

7 (edited by user7 2019-06-30 23:11:57)

So what happens if a game is released on multiple systems, but the disc's release was just accompanied by a certain system?

I'd like to voice my support for Details not being included or sorted in a file level. It looks sloppy as hell and not part of the item's official title.

So what happens if a game is released on multiple systems, but the disc's release was just accompanied by a certain system?

Only that certain system should be mentioned, then, if it's somehow tied to only one of the ports.

It looks sloppy as hell and not part of the item's official title.

The region tags, various "(Alt)" and similar tags aren't the parts of the title as well, it's not an argument. The title part ends before the region tag.

9 (edited by Jackal 2019-07-01 05:20:41)

Nobody likes your naming scheme @F1ReB4LL .. The first posts and examples were clear. You are always criticizing me for messing up things, but this is where you are messing up. Adding fictional titles and parts and creating huge and ugly filenames that don't comply with No-Intro standards.

I agree with Jackal, this is the kind of annoying thing he would have pulled.

Did iRobot have any say in this?

Jackal wrote:

Nobody likes your naming scheme @F1ReB4LL

Only 2 persons so far (not including TS, who has only pointed at the long filenames so far).

Jackal wrote:

Adding fictional titles and parts and creating huge and ugly filenames that don't comply with No-Intro standards.

Stop trolling. I've stated above quite clearly:

The region tags, various "(Alt)" and similar tags aren't the parts of the title as well, it's not an argument. The title part ends before the region tag.

OK, let's ask iRobot to remove all the tags, because any tag turns your title into fictional. And they must be in UTF 8 to support colons, question marks, etc., because replacing a colon with a dash makes the title "fictional". Asian titles should be all named using the native alphabet, since not all of them have the romanized titles on their covers and we don't want the fictional ones.

Jackal wrote:

You are always criticizing me for messing up things, but this is where you are messing up

You've already made your PC section an unmaintainable untagged pile of crap with all those untagged titles for all the OSes and PC/MAC/Amiga/whatever else hybrids and with all the standard ringcode revision marks absolutely ignored in all the cases, now you want to do the same with the media sections, no, that won't happen. It is now already full of questionable dumps without the title keys and possibly the decrypted dumps as well (since I remember some early discussions about dumping the protected ones with IsoBuster and active AnyDVD), let's now also give them plain untagged names and make them absolutely unsortable.

Once again: let's do the shorter tags, but it's not the "tags vs. no tags" discussion, but a tags format discussion. "A giant douche vs. a turd sandwich" election, if you want.

No intro is designed for console roms, it makes no sense for anything else. Period.

Plextor PX-760A 1.07 (+30) : Plextor PX-716SA 1.11 (+30) : Plextor PX-W5224A 1.04 (+30) : Plextor PX-W4824 1.07 (+30) : Plextor PX-W4012TA 1.07 (+98) : Plextor PX-W1610TA (+99) : Plextor PX-W1210TA 1.10 (+99) : Lite-On LTR-48246S (+6) : Lite-On LTR-52246S (+6) : Lite-On LH-20A1H LL0DN (+6) : BenQ DW1655 BCIB (+618) : ASUS DRW-2014L1 1.02 (+6) : Yamaha CRW-F1 (+733) : Optiarc SA-7290H5 1H44 (+48) : ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.02 (+6)

The only alternative I can imagine is to modify the media sections to hold an additional system tag (which should hold as many systems as needed for the discs that relate to more than one system simultaneously) and output the per-system dats by request, but I really doubt iR0b0t will implement that. And the simple XML 'system' and 'related game' tags will not help much here unless someone writes a tool to split/convert the dat using these fields (though, that could be also a solution to handle the architectures and OSes inside the PC, MAC and Amiga dats and maybe even categories via another tag, allowing to add the multimedia and application titles and sort them properly).

There is plenty that is DOS/Win95 and PC98 too, on the same disc. Amiga 1200/CD32 are also pretty much interchangeable too outside Akiko. Good thing we don't do floppies, or C64/128 and CP/M would be a mess as well.

This discussion has been going on forever, and now getting into Video and Audio stuff there needs to be something else defined, no intro doesn't cut it. Said that 10 years ago, it's true today. A lot of stuff it just not a tightly controlled closed source product that is easily put into a box.

One mod wants to do it one way, and another mod wants to do it another way, and we're still in the same place with pointless bickering instead of hammering out a solution that everyone can be happy with, or at least tolerate. DJ and I tried to bring some kind of consistency to PC, but that's been thrown to the wind again with all kinds of random whatever defining versions and we're split down the middle about editions being in the name or not.

Accuracy in filenames should be to identify a particular thing, not some OCD thing with perfect naming or caring about how long it is or whatever. It should have some kind of standard, and it cannot be based on information that not all discs have like the PVD date, or Version of the exe, or whatever other non universal thing, and it's only going to get worse with entertainment media. I'd just assume leave them out if they aren't directly tied to a title to function.

There's plenty of valid points from all sides, it's time to figure it out and stop avoiding it.

Plextor PX-760A 1.07 (+30) : Plextor PX-716SA 1.11 (+30) : Plextor PX-W5224A 1.04 (+30) : Plextor PX-W4824 1.07 (+30) : Plextor PX-W4012TA 1.07 (+98) : Plextor PX-W1610TA (+99) : Plextor PX-W1210TA 1.10 (+99) : Lite-On LTR-48246S (+6) : Lite-On LTR-52246S (+6) : Lite-On LH-20A1H LL0DN (+6) : BenQ DW1655 BCIB (+618) : ASUS DRW-2014L1 1.02 (+6) : Yamaha CRW-F1 (+733) : Optiarc SA-7290H5 1H44 (+48) : ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.02 (+6)

Other than putting everything into the filename, the only other options are to extend a number of dats (and the db, allowing to select the categories and other kinds of tags to choose the groups of titles to be included into the dat), to extend a number of XML tags (the t**r*p's way) or both.

F1ReB4LL wrote:

Only that certain system should be mentioned, then, if it's somehow tied to only one of the ports.

It looks sloppy as hell and not part of the item's official title.

I have several promotional DVDs that cover numerous different systems.  For example, I have store demonstration DVDs that cover games across 3, 4, sometimes even more systems. 

Perhaps the discussion here is more on dvds released WITH certain game releases, I don't know.

Regarding the file-naming, I'm inclined to agree with user7 and Jackal here that the current system does seem to create a really long and sloppy/complicated name.  Rather than passive aggressive attacks going both ways, surely we can come up with some solutions here that will please everyone.

So who's got suggestions then, metadata is needed, but I agree that filenames are sometimes ridiculous.

I personally never liked the languages or regions in the name, especially some releases with like a dozen languages. I simply rename everything on my end how I want and don't even bother with .dat since everything becomes an unsortable ugly mess mess. Granted that's my personal thing, but it doesn't correlate to the original point of the thread.

18 (edited by wiggy2k 2019-07-01 19:41:12)

Nexy wrote:

I personally never liked the languages or regions in the name.

I don't get how you think that would work.

http://redump.org/disc/633/
http://redump.org/disc/6858/
http://redump.org/disc/18697/
http://redump.org/disc/17273/

Would all just be named  "007 Racing"

anyway, back on topic

I fully agree that as it stands these discs absolutely need to have the originating system somehow defined in the Filename:
it is the quickest and easiest way to collate them.

the question is, from the sound of it, how to link them in the DB. (other than in the comments which obviously doesn't work for DAT functionality)
IF we go with the option of including Bonus discs in the system DATs (assuming they are linked somehow with one or more 'Parent' discs in the DB) what happens when there are discs from multiple regions have the exact same Bonus Disc,  What is the logic used?.

Eg:

Playstation2.game (Germany) (Special Edition)
Playstation2.game (France) (Special Edition)
Playstation2.game (Spain) (Special Edition)
Playstation2.game (Italy) (Special Edition)
Playstation2.game (United Kingdom) (Special Edition)

The bonus DVD Would be named presumably:

Playstation2.game (Europe) (Bonus DVD) (Bundled with Special Edition)

Which original becomes the parent?

and how do they become included in multiple DATs when the bonus discs matches accross systems and regions:
(I can't find any examples from a quick search, so this is a massive hypothetical) but for example:

say

Playstation2.game (Germany) (Special Edition)
Playstation2.game (France) (Special Edition)
Playstation2.game (Spain) (Special Edition)
Playstation2.game (Italy) (Special Edition)
Playstation2.game (United Kingdom) (Special Edition)
Xbox.game (Germany) (Special Edition)
Xbox.game (France) (Special Edition)
Xbox.game (Spain) (Special Edition)
Xbox.game (Italy) (Special Edition)
Xbox.game (United Kingdom) (Special Edition)
Gamecube.game (Germany) (Special Edition)
Gamecube.game (France) (Special Edition)
Gamecube.game (Spain) (Special Edition)
Gamecube.game (Italy) (Special Edition)
Gamecube.game (United Kingdom) (Special Edition)

all come with the very same Region 2 Bonus DVD

What does that DVD get named? and how is it included with the system DATs ?

Is the option to just include comments and Metadata in the DATs or keep them as is but add a lot more information to the comments section?  should you have to refer the the website to find this information out?

Actually IMO:   Just as important as the integration of the Bonus discs in the DAT is the integration of metadata like the SBI files for the PSX DAT.

Because it's META DATA and has nothing to do with the title name. All this crap should be kept in a separate file, json or xml or something.

I don't care at all about your p2p sharing and "sets" as all that stuff is not at all important to this projects goals. If you can't organize files by region yourself, that's your issue and nothing to do with preservation.

Nexy wrote:

Because it's META DATA and has nothing to do with the title name. All this crap should be kept in a separate file, json or xml or something.

I don't care at all about your p2p sharing and "sets" as all that stuff is not at all important to this projects goals. If you can't organize files by region yourself, that's your issue and nothing to do with preservation.

Aggressive much?

Yes very, when I see nonsense.

23 (edited by Nexy 2019-08-18 08:30:14)

I finally ran across some discs with this naming scheme, audio rips of mine. This is total crap and Jackal is correct, the meta data goes in the comments with a link to the disk via href,  not in the filenames. This must be reverted.