Sadikyo has been a large part of the PlayStation systems hunt and an instrumental part of VGPC. He has been steady help, and is meticulous with detail. We were chatting today and he brought up the idea of becoming anl mod to clean up the massive backlog of old dumps never added. He would start with the non-caveat dumps. This is the perfect solution to ending a decade-old problem plaguing redump.

All my posts and submission data are released into Public Domain / CC0.

2 (edited by Jackal 2019-02-09 15:15:54)

@iR0b0t, before you add any new moderators, maybe remove some?

Rocknroms - hasn't been around since 2011, why is he still a moderator?
gorelord4e - last post 2015.. he's still around, but clearly not moderating
LedZeppelin68 - perhaps a nostalgia thing, but he's also not a moderator

And whoever wants to be a moderator has to realize that it's a long term commitment. Some of the recently appointed moderators were very active in the beginning but then started getting busy IRL.

Then there's also some moderators (including myself as of lately) who are mainly adding their own dumps and not bothering at all with forum submissions due to late of time. The WIP discs are also packed full. I guess tenyuhuang should be nominated as moderator also for adding all the Chinese stuff.

I'd like to add here --- I really would like to assist this project in any way that I can.  One way that I feel like I can help us, is by assisting with some of the more administrative tasks such as cleaning up already added submissions in the forum, following up on forgotten items, etc. 

In addition, I would also be more than willing to learn the ropes regarding adding submissions, and would love to assist there as well if I can.  I know that I haven't been in redump very long, but I am very committed to this project and I am very detail-oriented.  For me, this is not about control or power or credit - I just know that we are behind with the amount of work needing to be done, and rather than complain about it without offering any help, I would like to put my money where my mouth is, so to speak, and I am willing to do the work. 

If you have any questions, please let me know.

4 (edited by user7 2019-02-09 16:30:51)

Sadikyo has been solid for months. Imo remove mods if you need to. Some were only busy at the beginning? Fine, they did their part, kick em and add new people willing to do their part. As long as they're detailed like sadikyo, all is well.

Years old dumps are discouraging and lead to MIAs.

All my posts and submission data are released into Public Domain / CC0.

5 (edited by ajshell1 2019-02-09 17:15:03)

Jackal wrote:

Then there's also some moderators (including myself as of lately) who are mainly adding their own dumps and not bothering at all with forum submissions due to late of time. The WIP discs are also packed full. I guess tenyuhuang should be nominated as moderator also for adding all the Chinese stuff.

That also includes myself. I apologize for this. I also agree with Tenyu being added as a mod. And if you looked at the WIP queue, any sensible person would agree.

As far as Sadikyo goes, I'm not entirely sure (EDIT: At least, that was my thought when I started writing this post). I can definitely vouch for his loyalty. I'm just not sure if he has the experience to be a moderator. He only has 139 dumps, all of which are PS1,PS2,PS3,PSP,Saturn or DVD-Video. Granted, these all seem to be rather expensive or rare discs, which I'm appreciative of. However, there are going to be a lot of forum posts for systems other than these. Will he be able to handle discs from other systems without making mistakes?

As far as experience goes, having seen lots of discs DOES have tangible benefits in terms of moderation. For example, a while ago, Profes submitted this disc: http://redump.org/disc/59259/

The mastering code as he submitted it was "#113361   2414874 01"
Having seen discs with a similar ringcode (http://redump.org/disc/45563/ and http://redump.org/disc/21802/), I asked him if there was any tiny text in the form of a date. He looked again, and it turns out that such text was there.

Likewise, when a PC disc with a standard early-2000s Sonopress ringcode pattern gets submitted with the mould SID listed as "IFPI 1OC5", I can instantly tell that it's supposed to be "IFPI 10C5".

Granted those are problems encountered by a PC dumper and moderator. If Sadikyo exclusively goes after Sony systems, he'll have little trouble with their nice and consistent Sony DADC ringcodes. Just as long as he reads up on the patterns that exist in European releases as well before adding them.

However, if Sadikyo does go after all the console dumps in the forums, that'll make my job of adding PC forum dumps easier by making them easier to find. In that regard, I support him being added as a moderator.

But if he does get added as a moderator, I want some some of the moderators to give him lessons on how to be a moderator. I was given almost no instruction on how to actually do a lot of moderator stuff upon being promoted, and I had to ask people to actually figure stuff out.

EDIT: I also recall him complaining about the sorry state of the dump forum than anyone else has in the VGPC Discord, so I get the feeling he'll have the dedication to get through this.

Come on, you all know you need him and this guy has proved he works really serious, is a great guy to have moderating new additions, you all know he deliver. Give him a chance now that he has the will to clean and organise, it will help you reduce lot of work.

RE: aj's comments.  I can understand and appreciate where you are coming from.  Plus, I understand the importance of giving someone the ability to make modifications/submissions to a database.  Consistency and quality control are very important. 

I focus on quality over quantity, and if I'm allowed to assist here, I'm not going to change anything that is outside of my comfort zone.  Initially, there shouldn't be a problem with errors in submissions because if I don't understand something well, I'm going to educate myself first and become very familiar with the systems. 

The nuance and experience of working on thousands of discs is absolutely helpful, but I don't think that should be a reason not to allow someone to help who is able and willing, especially if they understand (and I do) not to mess around with things they don't fully understand.

I'm not necessarily trying to sell myself here - ultimately the powers that be are going to do what they want - but I do want to assure you I don't plan on going in here and making a mess of things.

Jackal wrote:

Rocknroms - hasn't been around since 2011, why is he still a moderator?
gorelord4e - last post 2015.. he's still around, but clearly not moderating

If they decide to come back to moderating they will be given their status back.

LedZeppelin68 is up to F1ReB4LL.

PX-760A (+30), PX-W4824TA (+98), GSA-H42L (+667), GDR-8164B (+102), SH-D162D (+6), SOHD-167T (+12)

Didn't Jackal make a wiki guide for new moderators explaining most of the stuff?!

Also, sadikyo seems to be very serious about his dedication of becoming a mod.

@sadikyo You have been given the mod rights, but please don't start with moderating just yet. Make sure to see if you understand all the aspects of how to read submissions and make an overview over the edit- and newdisc forms. Post your questions in staff subforum.

PX-760A (+30), PX-W4824TA (+98), GSA-H42L (+667), GDR-8164B (+102), SH-D162D (+6), SOHD-167T (+12)

I will gladly help sadiyko get acclimated to the system here.

LedZep's mod rights is more of a honorable status, just like Dremora is still an admin, you can demote both for safety, I guess. Can be changed back any time, if ever needed.