Hello.  I've written a utility to verify game checksums under Linux, using No-Intro (for cartridges) and Redump (for discs) DAT files as sources of truth.  Currently, I just provide the script along with directions to download the various DAT files that are needed and copy them to the appropriate folder.  To make it easier for anyone to get started with this, I'd really like to bundle the DAT files with the script or at least provide the ability to auto-download the DAT files for the user.

I'm working under the assumption now that any form of this is forbidden, so to be clear, I'm not doing anything like this now.  However, I could find any explicit rules about this on the site, so I thought it'd be worth asking here to clarify.

1. Would it be okay to bundle and redistribute the generally available Redump DAT files with my script?  What about the restricted DAT files (like PS3, 360, etc.)?

2. If no, would it be okay to provide functionality that auto-download the generally available DAT files from the site?

Obviously, full credit and attribution would be provided, and given this is a CLI Linux script, I'm expecting actual usage numbers to be pretty low.  I wrote this for myself - if anyone else can benefit from it, that's just a bonus.  :-)

Let me know what you think, please.  I'm going to post a similar question on No-Intro's forum.  And no worries if the answer to all of the above is "no" - I'm expecting that, to be honest.  Still thought it worth asking, just in case.

Thanks!

If its only about downloads then yes, go on. Same for restricted downloads.

PX-760A (+30), PX-W4824TA (+98), GSA-H42L (+667), GDR-8164B (+102), SH-D162D (+6), SOHD-167T (+12)

Sorry for the delay, been away a couple of days.

That's awesome!  To confirm, you're saying you're okay with me bundling the Redump DAT files with my verification script, including the restricted files?  Just want to make sure I'm not misunderstanding, since you're saying downloads and I'm saying DAT files.  Pretty sure we're talking about the same thing, but I wasn't expecting it to be so easy, so just but want to be sure.

You can do that, yes smile

PX-760A (+30), PX-W4824TA (+98), GSA-H42L (+667), GDR-8164B (+102), SH-D162D (+6), SOHD-167T (+12)