I think maybe we should include mastering errors in the comment section. If we include them then people that would know them so when verify and checking a dump and find errors they don't think someone is trying to pull something with a faulty dump as it's documented.

Three years and still going strong.

Yes, I agree. CDmage should be used for checking for errors (since psxt001z doesn't check ECC, and in the next versions I'll remove scanning function at all with the exception of postgap error detection).

Sounds good, I will go over my dumps and find any I only think there is a couple. What about the one in the WIP?

pepsidrinker wrote:

What about the one in the WIP?

Have you dumped it twice?

5 (edited by pepsidrinker 2008-02-17 22:52:35)

Yes, I always dump it twice, the checksums match before and after the low level error was fixed with psxt001z.

EDIT: Is there a way to use psxt001z to find if there is EDC or not without the fix command?

pepsidrinker wrote:

Yes, I always dump it twice, the checksums match before and after the low level error was fixed with psxt001z.

This error is caused by many drives in the last sectors of discs without EDC. Mastering errors may also be low level.

pepsidrinker wrote:

EDIT: Is there a way to use psxt001z to find if there is EDC or not without the fix command?

psxt001z track01.bin

7 (edited by pepsidrinker 2008-02-17 22:56:53)

Answered for me, was added.

And thanks for the command.

pepsidrinker wrote:

I think maybe we should include mastering errors in the comment section. If we include them then people that would know them so when verify and checking a dump and find errors they don't think someone is trying to pull something with a faulty dump as it's documented.

I don't know if it's the right idea...I think that the "faulty" discs should be left alone and wait for an appropriate copy of the game from another dumper. The mastering errors should be very rare and the probability that a game copy has them is very low. It is pointless to submit something that will be replaced by the error free dump IMHO.

I also think it's pointless, but for the reason that a good dump can be verified anyway, regardless of mastering errors.. if a dumpers doesn't succeed in getting the same checksum, he can just write a post in the forums.

I don't think it's pointless as it documented. Another piece of information like the write offset. Also there are people that believe that there shouldn't be any sector errors (I was one of them) and they might dump a game that it's the database get the same checksum but do everything they can to fix those errors screw up the image, sectors don't match with the original and then post that as a good dump but if it was documented oh these errors are known not trying to pull something here and go along with it. I don't know, that's my thought anyway.

xenogears, I'm not the most knowledgeable about this but I think mastering errors are on every disc of the same run so there could be thousands of discs with those errors and who knows if they didn't make the same mistake for them all. Also like my Easter Bunny's Big Day, I believe Digital Press said they only run it once if there was any mastering errors waiting for a disc without them would never happen. fortunately it didn't though someone that knows more can fix any misinformation I gave if I did.