1 (edited by user7 2018-03-15 18:21:13)

Since we are now splitting PlayStation cheat discs based on hardware dependency we will need two more systems added to account for the Japan Karat discs that are going to be dumped very soon by kHn as well as the one already in redump:

Please create:
"PlayStation Pro Action Replay 2 (Japan)"
"PlayStation Pro Action Replay 3 (Japan)"

The covers of these discs specify a version number so it is unlikely they are cross compatible.

I'm sure there will be several more cheat systems to be added in the future, but these two systems are necessary now to maintain cohesion with the PlayStation GameShark set split decision.

Please move this disc to the system "Pro Action Replay 3 (Japan)" http://redump.org/disc/45790/

PS: I know the decision to split these sets was made with the correct intentions, but it will create a mess. Either way, I think redump needs to be consistent about their decision, so if GameShark splits, the others dependent on hardware add-on should as well.

All my posts and submission data are released into Public Domain / CC0.

I would prefer to get some more data (dumps) before adding new systems.

PX-760A (+30), PX-W4824TA (+98), GSA-H42L (+667), GDR-8164B (+102), SH-D162D (+6), SOHD-167T (+12)

iR0b0t wrote:

I would prefer to get some more data (dumps) before adding new systems.

Agree, worth to examine the dumps first. Also, all those Audio-CD format tools needs to be dumped with a proper offset, which is detected differently, compared to the normal data CDs.

Differently as in not with DIC? I have that Karat disc so let me know. khn will be dumping a dozen or so soon so now is a good time to fill in any missing details.

I'd suggest the category PlayStation Gameshark Pro be either removed or renamed; as it stands, it makes no sense.

For starters, GameShark Pro was a hardware device (black "curvy" cartridge) for the parallel/expansion port of the PS1.
Additionally, this device had different names and was sold by different "brands" in each region; for instance in EU it was the Pro Action Replay (or PAR). In US it was marketed by Interact Accessories, in the UK by the original developer Datel, and in Japan by Karat.

Also, what exactly is supposed to go in this category?
-ROMs from the cheat cartridges?
-Cheat discs? (ie. Gameshark CDX)
-Upgrade discs for the cheat cartridges? (which were audio only in format, but contained data within the audio tracks)
-All of the above?
-Only for GameShark? Or also for PAR (Jap? EU? both?)?

pool7 wrote:

-Upgrade discs for the cheat cartridges? (which were audio only in format, but contained data within the audio

This.

Thanks for clarifying.
I'd keep those in the main Sony PlayStation CD, but make sure they're categorized (in the Category dropdown of the New Disc form) as Applications or Addon or add a new category for these kind of discs (but in this dropdown).

Alternatively, if there must be a new disc category, I'd choose a more generic name, based on the info I provided above (maybe "PlayStation Enhancement CD (Audio)" (as some of these discs contained not only upgrades but more cheat codes and maybe some other goodie).

Also, keep in mind these Upgrade discs existed for other cartridges, such as an MP3 player that also connected to the parallel port of the PS1 and was made by a chinese brand, and I'm probably missing some other HW that also used these Upgrade discs.

Anway, just my POV on the subject; hope it helps.

8 (edited by user7 2018-03-18 02:41:15)

Thanks for the input pool7, you and khn are probably the top PS1 unlicensed experts in the world xD

I hope you can help advise on splitting up the many PSX unlicensed systems accurately since that seems to be the course...

Fireball if there is any problem with ripping these discs normally with DIC I hope you will speak up to advise. More will be coming in this upcoming week.

pool7 wrote:

Thanks for clarifying.
I'd keep those in the main Sony PlayStation CD

As I've alredy said in another topic, I'm not sure these are even handled by the PSX itself, probably, the programs are for the cheat devices themselves, therefore, it's not correct to put those into the PSX section.

They are indeed for the cheat devices; you have to start the PlayStation with the cheat device on, select the option to use an Upgrade disc, then it will read the Audio tracks and extract the "hidden" data from there.
My suggestion to keep these in the main Sony PlayStation CD category is due to the fact that the discs are targeted only for cheat devices for the PlayStation consoles.

Meh, PlayStation has a GameBoy emulator attachable to the console, let's add all the GB roms into the PSX dat, because they can be played on PSX with some external device.

If PSX itself (even modded) doesn't recognize the discs, they aren't for PSX.

The GB ROMs were not provided AFAIK (either in disc or in the cartridge), so that wouldn't make sense.
Anyway, it's your site, you can do whatever you want, I was just providing some insight to avoid confusion.

pool7 wrote:

Alternatively, if there must be a new disc category, I'd choose a more generic name, based on the info I provided above (maybe "PlayStation Enhancement CD (Audio)" (as some of these discs contained not only upgrades but more cheat codes and maybe some other goodie).

I agree with this.

user7 wrote:

Differently as in not with DIC? I have that Karat disc so let me know. khn will be dumping a dozen or so soon so now is a good time to fill in any missing details.

As far as I understand, all our 'PSX-CDDA' dumps belong to the same family and the first track should start with "G.THORNTON". So far:

GameShark - The BigWave Enhancement CD (USA)        +629
GameShark - The BigWave 2 Enhancement CD (USA)    +41
GameShark - The BigWave 3 Enhancement CD (USA)    +677
GameShark - The BigWave 4 Enhancement CD (USA)    +658
GameShark Enhancement CD Version 2.2 (USA) (Unl)    +629
Karat PS-you Action Replay Higi Code CD Vol. 4 (Japan)    +1034

Does this mean checksums are bad for these or no? I have the Karat disc to run some tests if necessary.

F1ReB4LL wrote:

As far as I understand, all our 'PSX-CDDA' dumps belong to the same family and the first track should start with "G.THORNTON".

It's true for Datel/Karat/InterAct discs.
This magic (or identifier, whatever it is) was changed in CCL discs.
http://www.psx-place.com/threads/gs-par … ken.11379/
And Blaze/FCD discs are completely different.

user7 wrote:

Does this mean checksums are bad for these or no? I have the Karat disc to run some tests if necessary.

Checksums are 'bad', the dumps are ok, offset needs to be tweaked for them.

kHn wrote:

It's true for Datel/Karat/InterAct discs.
This magic (or identifier, whatever it is) was changed in CCL discs.
http://www.psx-place.com/threads/gs-par … ken.11379/
And Blaze/FCD discs are completely different.

Let's wait for the dumps.