1 (edited by celebi 2018-01-08 17:42:32)

I'm interested in dumping some IBM PC compatible CDs and DVDs that are not yet included in The Database. Most of the CDs are either protected with SafeDisc or have either illegal TOCs (oversized dummy files) or intentional C2 errors (one disk has 15000 of them).

Unfortunately, the Plextor drive I ordered was DOA and I don't know when I'll get a second one. All my other drives are incompatible with DIC.

Is dumping with the CloneCD Redump profile and CD Manipulator still considered "good" or is using DIC mandatory these days? For verification, I would dump a disc twice with different drives and different tools and only submit if the checksums match of course. The vast majority of the CDs have only a single data track. For Multi-Track/Mixed Mode CDs I'd like to use PerfectRip or EAC.

If CCD and CDM are still allowed - is it possible to detect all pregaps and the write offset with drives that neither support scrambled reading nor the D8 command?

Best regards
ungodly.dumper (who already regrets using this username and might contact an admin about a change soon...)

ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.10 (RipShark firmware) | LiteOn SOHD-167T | Sony Optiarc AD-7290H

No. You need a Plextor and DIC for CD dumps.

You can use DIC to dump DVDs with any normal DVD drive, so I suggest dumping those while you wait for a new Plextor.

If CCD and CDM are still allowed - is it possible to detect all pregaps and the write offset with drives that neither support scrambled reading nor the D8 command?

Only if your drive allows swapping discs without ejecting the tray (so you could insert some audio disc, then replace it with the data one to read the sectors in scrambled form).

As for the protected discs - different drives read the sectors with intentional errors differently. You should probably try to get the matching checksums for the already dumped titles by yourself to find out, whether your drives are suitable.

Thanks F1Reb4LL!

Luckily, I got my Plextor drive much earlier than I expected - I now have a W5224 in fully working condition. Expect more proper dumps coming in very soon!

ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.10 (RipShark firmware) | LiteOn SOHD-167T | Sony Optiarc AD-7290H