Would this be a feasible thing to add? I keep seeing dumps added with the Internal Serial added as a comment, and it occurred to me that literally every PS2 game in existence has an internal serial number (that may not always match up with the serial number on the box!), and so why add it in the comments if it's global across every game on the system? I think it's good information, but I actually never think to do it myself; it's just not part of my submission habit. If the field were there, though, then I as well as other people would certainly notice it.

So yeah, can we add that field for PS2 games? smile

2 (edited by tossEAC 2016-06-21 14:05:52)

Nearly every disc has an internal serial, we should add al those as well, and only access to the image not the actual disc is needed.

And some internal serials match or are close to the one on the disc, but not always.

He who controls the SPICE... controls the UNIVERSE!
The SPICE must flow.

3 (edited by Egen 2016-06-21 21:23:42)

Yep. NTSC-J genteiban games typically have a serial number one value lower than the normal edition, and sometimes the disc EXE file uses the corresponding serial number, but not always. Nippon Ichi games stay true to the actual serial number, but I believe the Shirogane no Torikago genteiban version uses SLPM-66150 in the disc, while its actual number is SLPM-66149.

I believe there was also some weird thing with The Plan where the EXE serial number was completely different than the actual serial number for no apparent reason. I don't have the image anymore, but I'm pretty sure that was the case. EDIT: Aha, it is indeed that game because the number we're reporting as the "serial number" in our entry is actually bogus in one sense, The Plan has the number SLUS-21618 everywhere in writing and only SLUS-21466 in the actual EXE file. We should have an Internal Serial field so this isn't as confusing wink tongue

I think asking for adding the Internal Serial into the comments is more than enough. iR0b0t should re-enable the searching in the comments, though, so, by searching for the particular serial, you would get all the results with serials and internal serials matching the query.

Egen wrote:

Yep. NTSC-J genteiban games typically have a serial number one value lower than the normal edition

Shokai Genteiban games. Normal Genteibans are usually released after the regular versions.

5 (edited by Egen 2016-06-21 23:03:55)

So I take that it would be a lot of work to add a whole new field to the form and stuff? Since every game has this info (unless there are one or two incredibly odd cases), it should be its own field, but I'm not the person that would have to code it so obviously it's easy for me to sit back and recommend stuff.

And the Genteiban games still have a number before the original releases in many cases, and are often released the same day.

Egen wrote:

So I take that it would be a lot of work to add a whole new field to the form and stuff?

It isn't needed in the form, 2 different fields with serials will confuse people, the one in the comments is enough.