I'm checking languages for the games I own using the PS2 BIOS setting. With a game like DOA2: Hardcore, language selection is also available in the option menu. However, I have a question about what "language" really is. DOA2: Hardcore offers an actual LANGUAGE option, which changes the language of the text, and a VOICE option which changes the language of the voice-overs. Which are we supposed to mark for the Languages field here on Redump? Text, voice, or both?

Listing all options would be the best thing, i guess.

Bios: lang1,2,...
Selector: lang1,2,...
Options menu (main): lang1,2,...
Options menu (text): lang1,2,...
Options menu (speech): lang1,2,...

And so on...

PX-760A (+30), PX-W4824TA (+98), GSA-H42L (+667), GDR-8164B (+102), SH-D162D (+6), SOHD-167T (+12)

Okay... so BIOS would be if the game supports a change of language through the BIOS setting, options menu text/speech would be if you can change those things via an options menu... what would be "selector" and "options menu main"?

Language selector is only available for a few consoles (incl. PS2) when you boot up the game, and comes if available at all befor the main game screen.

By "options menu main" I meant if there is no selectable split between speech and text.

PX-760A (+30), PX-W4824TA (+98), GSA-H42L (+667), GDR-8164B (+102), SH-D162D (+6), SOHD-167T (+12)

Ah I see. Thanks.

Just gotta say, I think it's kind of weird to add voice-over options in the Language field on Redump for a game. It doesn't mean the game is in that language. For example if I'm a native Japanese speaker/reader and a game is marked with Japanese as a language, if I go play that game I probably can hardly navigate my way around because it's not really in Japanese, only the voice overs are. I still can't understand the menus, what things I'm selecting/using, etc so the game is still fairly difficult to play.

Text is in priority, i think.

7 (edited by Egen 2015-07-13 10:07:55)

Cool, and I'll list everything. We could certainly include voice-over information in the comments field if nothing else. So something like this?

DOA2: Hardcore

SLUS 20071

In-game Language option: Yes
  English, French, German, Italian, Spanish

In-game Voice option: Yes
  English, Japanese