I have 3 unlicensed PS2 discs: Swap Magic 3.6 CD & DVD, and a GameShark disc. All of these discs only dump about 6% before I get an unreadable sector error. None of the discs are scratched and they all stop at 6%, so they all must have some kind of protection. I've tried dumping them with all of my drives and none of them can dump more than 6%. Does anyone know what could be causing this to happen?

They ARE protected, leave them out.

PX-760A (+30), PX-W4824TA (+98), GSA-H42L (+667), GDR-8164B (+102), SH-D162D (+6), SOHD-167T (+12)

I figured they were. So, discs with protection like this can't be dumped?

I have a same problem with my Code Breaker disc. sad

このソフトは かいはつちゅうです

If they are CD's use CloneCD, use the same profile as is posted for SafeDisc for PC.

Plextor PX-760A 1.07 (+30) : Plextor PX-716SA 1.11 (+30) : Plextor PX-W5224A 1.04 (+30) : Plextor PX-W4824 1.07 (+30) : Plextor PX-W4012TA 1.07 (+98) : Plextor PX-W1610TA (+99) : Plextor PX-W1210TA 1.10 (+99) : Lite-On LTR-48246S (+6) : Lite-On LTR-52246S (+6) : Lite-On LH-20A1H LL0DN (+6) : BenQ DW1655 BCIB (+618) : ASUS DRW-2014L1 1.02 (+6) : Yamaha CRW-F1 (+733) : Optiarc SA-7290H5 1H44 (+48) : ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.02 (+6)

The CloneCD profile didn't help, it still won't dump the discs. One of mine is a DVD, so I think they all use the same weird protection. The discs seem to include retail game data, so they must do some trickery to boot on the PS2.

Scan the data side of the disc at high-resolution and post a pic somewhere. We might be able to get some idea's from that.

Plextor PX-760A 1.07 (+30) : Plextor PX-716SA 1.11 (+30) : Plextor PX-W5224A 1.04 (+30) : Plextor PX-W4824 1.07 (+30) : Plextor PX-W4012TA 1.07 (+98) : Plextor PX-W1610TA (+99) : Plextor PX-W1210TA 1.10 (+99) : Lite-On LTR-48246S (+6) : Lite-On LTR-52246S (+6) : Lite-On LH-20A1H LL0DN (+6) : BenQ DW1655 BCIB (+618) : ASUS DRW-2014L1 1.02 (+6) : Yamaha CRW-F1 (+733) : Optiarc SA-7290H5 1H44 (+48) : ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.02 (+6)

I don't have access to a scanner right now, but I can tell you that each disc has a small section outside of the ringcode section in the data area that is a different shade from the rest of the disc's data area. The Swap Magic discs also have a lot of little rings that run through the data area. Here's a page with a small picture of a Swap Magic disc.

Here's a page about how the discs work, maybe it can help?

I finally got access to a scanner, so here are the disc scans:

GameShark 2 V1.2 CD
Swap Magic 3.6 CD
Swap Magic 3.6 DVD

I always thought that those discs were impossible to properly burn/copy because they're pressed (at the factory, just like some content on a regular ps2 dvd, which isn't readable -- i might be saying a lot of shit, all i know is what've read here and there).

If those discs can be dumped, even though they're no interest to the Redump project, please let me know of a preservation-proof method. I have SM3.xx Pal and a Memorex (can't recall the version, but I believe it's from Codebreakers).

I haven't tried to dump with any tools in the Redump Guide, but back in the days I haven't had any success using dvd decripter, imgburn and anydvd (those were my tools, back then).

You could try Isobuster for dumping that DVD. When reports first error, select Replace with all zeroes. However, this will take hours to complete. To speed up things, low transfer retries to minimum: Options, Communication,  Read Settings.

For CDs, CloneCD, fast error skip enabled and a drive which can skip read errors fastly. Toshiba DVD-ROM drives, based on authentic Toshiba chipsets (-472 in Accuraterip), were the typical suggested readers for this purporse.

On semi-vacation. MSF/AMSF to LBA/offset and viceversa calculator: link
To write properly occidental characters contained in japanese titles: screenshot
Spaces must be the fullwidth variant: link / screenshot

12 (edited by Enker 2012-06-26 21:58:52)

I gave up on the error skipping methods. They take too long and it usually gives me a different unreadable sector each time I try to copy. I was hoping that there would be an easy method to copy these discs, but I'm not too concerned about them, I was just curious if they could be dumped.

EDIT: I tried your IsoBuster method and it didn't work, the program just locked up with two different drives. I've already tried the CloneCD method, so it looks like these discs are copy-proof. It'd be nice if there were a program to run on the PS2 itself that could dump discs, that might be the only way.

Last option for these CDs is the intelligent bad sector scanner in CloneCD, or CDTool, retry error count to 1 and use a drive which can enable Transfer erroneus block (ECC off).

On semi-vacation. MSF/AMSF to LBA/offset and viceversa calculator: link
To write properly occidental characters contained in japanese titles: screenshot
Spaces must be the fullwidth variant: link / screenshot

Is it possible to dump the CDs by audio trap disc, or is even reading as audio not possible?

PS3Dec (decrypt ps3 images), PS3DumpCheck (check integrity), GetKey (dump PS3 metadata), DatSplit (split redump dats), GPack (compress related images together)

These areas are either weak sectors or even not pre-formatted!

As for discs with those visible rings, they can not be dumped, both, CD and DVD.
You would have to mark the unreadable sectors somehow, and when burning
let the burner skip over them, custom burning software is needed for this task.

Weak CD sectors may be dumped in scrambled mode (which depends on your drive).

Final conclusion: skip these discs roll

PX-760A (+30), PX-W4824TA (+98), GSA-H42L (+667), GDR-8164B (+102), SH-D162D (+6), SOHD-167T (+12)

16 (edited by Enker 2012-06-27 02:10:20)

I was already using the intelligent bad sector scanner with the SafeDisc profile.

Dumping as audio with the audio trap disc didn't get any farther than dumping as normal.

I agree with iR0b0t. Those rings look like physical gaps in the discs, which is causing the dumping problems. Even the blue disc has a ring, which is probably why they all stop at 6%.

Here's some info about the discs if anyone wanted to know:

CD discs: 318933 sectors, has data from SLUS-20202 (Crazy Taxi)
DVD discs: 2282416 sectors, has data from SLUS-20071 (DOA2: Hardcore)