I have a SH-D162C drive I bought with the intention of backing up my Dreamcast games.  I have it in a USB External enclosure,  but I am having a hard time getting starstop.exe to stop the drive motor.  I'm not sure if this is because I have it in an external drive enclosure.  I have installed the Kreon firmware installed as I want to back up my important XBOX titles as well (which I have successfully done).  Any tips as to what I might be doing wrong? 

This is what it tells me:

StartStop Unit using DeviceIOControl & SPTI v1.01, by Truman, 12 Sep 2006.

Attempting to get handle to drive h..success.

Attempting to send start stop unit command..success.
Spin down state sent to drive h.

Sending test unit command to try and get drive ready (3 retries)..
SPC1 Test Unit CDB6 (key:ASC:ASCQ): 02:04:01.

Attempting to read the power condition state..success.
Device is in active power condition state.

Attempting to close handle to drive h..success.

Thanks for the advice.

Maybe you have to run it with administrator privileges (Because startstop is using a low level interface, SPTI), or another program is locking the drive (For obtaining exclusive access).

2 / 04 / 01   is   LOGICAL UNIT IS IN PROCESS OF BECOMING READY, though. You can see this message in ImgBurn when you insert a disc and drive doesn´t recognize yet.

Finally, which USB enclosure do you have? Many USB adapters don´t support ATAPI properly.

On semi-vacation. MSF/AMSF to LBA/offset and viceversa calculator: link
To write properly occidental characters contained in japanese titles: screenshot
Spaces must be the fullwidth variant: link / screenshot

I have a Vantec Nexstar-DX USB enclosure,  I was already running startstop.exe as administrator, but if  02:04:01 means that the Logical Unit is in the process of becoming ready could that mean I'm not getting a good Audio Trap CD?  I've burnt 3 copies and they all behave the same.

Thanks

just try to start/stop an original disc, if it works your burned disc might be fault and can not be recognized.

PX-760A (+30), PX-W4824TA (+98), GSA-H42L (+667), GDR-8164B (+102), SH-D162D (+6), SOHD-167T (+12)

Thanks, tried standard CD and yes it was able to stop the motor.  I tried burning the Trap Disc with Clone CD and Alcohol from the guide and I can't seem to get it to burn correctly.  I found something online called the DrinkTeam GD-ROM Trap Disc, and I was able to get that to burn successfully and use it for a Trap Disc.  I can now get it to accurately pull up to around section 30 with DC Dumper, but after section 30 it will not read another section (and its only going to section 35),  just keeps giving read errors.  So I'm guessing the trap disc still isn't right.  So I will keep playing with it.  Thanks again for the help.

If you use a trap disc based on Mode 1 track, you can only dump data tracks (Already unscrambled and offset corrected), not audio tracks. I prefer a trap disc based on audio track, you can dump everything (Data track will be neither unscrambled nor offset corrected). However, ice.exe unscramble, correct offset and split the dump.

I think you can try another type of media for trap disc, like a CD-RW. You can erase it and burn once more if required this way. From my experience, CD-RW's gave me better results than conventional CD-R's.

To write properly occidental characters contained in japanese titles: screenshot

7 (edited by rcw003 2011-12-17 00:55:50)

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who helped get this working. I have the process down now, and have the audio trap disc working.  At this point I think I may have a bad drive as I can usually get about 900 MB off the disc, but the last sections 99% of the time give me read errors when using DCDumper,  I got one disc to initial dump through the entire disc, but then in the next attempts got nothing but read errors the last sections each of the last 10 attempts.  Everything it rips before it gets to the last sections always come up matching, that's why I think I have a bad drive.  

10 minutes after complaining about the drive I finally get it to do a successful rip, I love it how those things work out sometimes.

Thanks again.

Try CDTool.

http://www.cdtool.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/downloads.htm

The option you have to employ is "CD to image". Set first sector to 45000 and press From TOC. Then, choose this options (I assume that everybody has a decent drive which can read subs and report C2 errors):
-Subchannel: (001b) and check Deinterleave subs.
-C2 error reporting: 01b.
-C2 error reporting read order: If you have a Mediatek based drive (+6/+12 in Accuraterip DB), select Main+Sub+C2. Otherwise, CDTool will interchange, wrongly, C2 and sub files.

Try several read speeds in order to determine the optimal. When dumping is finished, the .C2 file created mustn´t have any non-null byte. If so, there are errors in process of dumping. Fortunately, modern Mediatek drives has superb error correction. They can read in a go discs relatively damaged without errors. Unless you have a heavily damaged disc, you should obtain a clean dump if everything goes well.