Anyone ever tried dumping DC on LinuxDC (dreamcast linux port).
A.f.a.i.k. there is a GDrom driver and broadband adapter driver.

So if we had full access to the drive, wouldn't we be able to read the GDrom and dump it over lan?
Since I've been having only sporadic success using the swap trick, I am looking for a more easy solution.

LG GSA-H55N | LG GDR-8163b | LG GDR-8164b | Samsung SH-D162C (kreon) | Liteon DG-16D2S 0800 V3 (XGD3)
Pioneer DVR-111L | Plextor PX-716 | Plextor PX-760 | Yamaha CRW-F1 | Yamaha CRW-F1 UX

Pandor wrote:

Since I've been having only sporadic success using the swap trick, I am looking for a more easy solution.

You're prolly better off finding out why it's not working like it should, instead of resorting to inferior methods. Are you dumping with the samsung drive and taking the cover off when swapping discs?

That's exactly what I'm doing. but i'm having a hard time getting it to read the high density area.
When the drive is on a IDE-USB adapter it does not read anything at all. Just constant read errors.

i've been using dcdumper, and have been able to sporadically read the high dense area, with the help of its fake read functionality, but cdrwin is a no-go.

I flashed the drive back to stock, thinking that maybe the kreon fw could be causing problems, to no avail.

LG GSA-H55N | LG GDR-8163b | LG GDR-8164b | Samsung SH-D162C (kreon) | Liteon DG-16D2S 0800 V3 (XGD3)
Pioneer DVR-111L | Plextor PX-716 | Plextor PX-760 | Yamaha CRW-F1 | Yamaha CRW-F1 UX

With a Scythe IDE/SATA to USB (JMicron based, ODDs runs fine with this) and NEC DV-5800E (Crossflashed to LT SHD-16P1S, Mediatek based DVD-ROM, like  SH-D162C) I can perform the trap disc (Burned in a Samsung CD-RW disc manufactured by Daxon, others) methode (Removing the cover and stoping the unit using startstop) and dump the high density area. However, the GD-ROM which I own is too damaged and (Once descrambled by ice.exe), so, the data tracks doesn´t match the ones in Redump´s database, whereas the audio tracks does.

At least as far as I tested, the optimal read speeds were 16x or 24x. Others only gave a lot of errors. I dumped the GD-ROM using CDTool by Truman (Setting manually the desired range to dump), which also allow the use of C2 pointers as a additional layer for catching read errors.

IMHO, you should try another disc for burn the trap disc. Maybe, you are employing a wrong type of media. I had to try lots of discs, until I found the correct one, the 10x Samsung CD-RW by Daxon I currently own for trap disc. Moreover, the IDE to USB adapter you are using is critical too. As far as I know, many IDE to USB adapters doesn´t operate properly with ODDs (ATAPI) drives.

On semi-vacation. MSF/AMSF to LBA/offset and viceversa calculator: link
To write properly occidental characters contained in japanese titles: screenshot
Spaces must be the fullwidth variant: link / screenshot

I don't see how the media could be a problem... as long as the drive reads the modified toc, it shouldn't care about the media, no?

I own a no-brand ebay bought Sata/ide combo to usb 2.0  cable (ID 152d:2338 JMicron Technology Corp. / JMicron USA Technology Corp. JM20337 Hi-Speed USB to SATA & PATA Combo Bridge)

6 (edited by Jackal 2011-11-03 15:19:03)

Yeah it only reads the TOC afaik, so brand shouldn't matter.. just make sure that it's refreshed properly..

Some things that you can try is testing different read speeds, retrying a couple times with reading (sometimes it won't read a number of times, but then at one point it gets past the seeking and starts reading), and also making sure that clonecd device driver isn't running in the background (had some problems with this in the past).

I also bought one of those IDE>SATA usb convertors from ebay some weeks ago. I'll give it a try with my samsung drive when it arrives in the mail.

A CD-RW (Lesser reflective than a CD-R or pressed CD) media needs a more powerful laser calibration to be read, so drive set a higher laser power if you use a one of this.

Generally, if you can use the attached drive for "advanced" things such as reading subs, C2 pointers... the adapter is fine for ODDs.

On semi-vacation. MSF/AMSF to LBA/offset and viceversa calculator: link
To write properly occidental characters contained in japanese titles: screenshot
Spaces must be the fullwidth variant: link / screenshot

8 (edited by Pandor 2011-11-03 23:45:23)

pablogm123, I am aware of the fact that different media have different reflective properties.
But isn't the laser power adjust at the factory, (with the pot-meter on the assembly) and therefor constant? (Please do correct me if i'm wrong)

btw Jackal, you mentioned my idea as a 'inferior method' in your reply. Could you elaborate one that?
I would think that having full access to the GD-drive, meant to read GD-roms in the first place, would be superior  to reading the dense area using hacked methods...

You still have to get the offset using a PC drive.. and iR0b0t claims that low density and high density area's can have different write offsets  big_smile I don't think a gdrom drive can dump scrambled?

10 (edited by Pandor 2011-11-04 01:50:08)

if it has a data track there should be no offset (due to sync).
If there is a audio track, offset could be calculated as usual (Read data track, and count bytes in last sector).

I see no reason why this would be a problem...
Except for maybe overreading into lead-out, but the 162 drive doesn't do this eighther..

11 (edited by Pandor 2011-11-04 02:34:07)

I've got dcdumper to work on my 162c using my usb bridge.
I set the read speed to 4x using plextools. That seems to have done the trick.

DCdumper.exe f -sf -t5

only one read error on first disc access, but it got corrected by fake-reading on first try.
Everything dumped correctly afterwards.

Its a lot easier having this drive externally on usb then having it hang there on a IDE cable.