I just bought a new computer and installed Windows 7 64 bit OS

I also bought the following drive

TSSTcorpCDDVDW SH-S223L

It should have a read offset correction of 8 per accuraterip.com

I tried to dump 2 games and neither was successful.

I'm guessing the drive is the problem, but can anyone verify please. Thank You!

Maybe if you can describe exactly what is the problem with your results, it would be easier to help smile

3 (edited by Specialt1212 2010-04-19 04:04:30)

RiMMER wrote:

Maybe if you can describe exactly what is the problem with your results, it would be easier to help smile

Oh sorry about that, when using ISO buster and looking at track 2 if i go back 149-150 sectors I don't see garbage data, I usually only see the 1 line header. This occurred on both CD of Lunar the Silver Star Story for the PSX. I tired ripping Ogre Battle but it only had two lines of garbage data... most of the screen shots I saw showed several lines of garbage.

4 (edited by RiMMER 2010-04-19 04:11:20)

nevermind, I have no idea tbh

Other dumpers hopefully know the answer smile

5 (edited by velocity37 2010-04-19 04:40:04)

Specialt1212 wrote:

when using ISO buster and looking at track 2 if i go back 149-150 sectors I don't see garbage data, I usually only see the 1 line header. This occurred on both CD of Lunar the Silver Star Story for the PSX. I tired ripping Ogre Battle but it only had two lines of garbage data... most of the screen shots I saw showed several lines of garbage.

No garbage data means that the combined offset is <=0, which means you can't determine it with that drive, and can't dump the disc without already knowing it. If you have a drive with a large positive offset (or a Plextor compatible with px_d8) you can find out the disc's offset, then figure out the right combined offset by combining the disc and drive offset.

Having only two lines of garbage is okay. What's your drive's offset according to the Accuraterip database?

According to the previous dumper, the offset for Lunar is -647. This means you can't manually detect it in a large number of drives. A large number of LG drives have +667, but if you're going to look into new drives, you might want to think about getting a Plextor (you can get them fairly cheap on eBay).

velocity37 wrote:

What's your drive's offset according to the Accuraterip?

He stated that already

It should have a read offset correction of 8 per accuraterip.com

My bad, read over that bit.

Two lines would then be 32 bytes, or +8 samples for the combined offset. This would mean the disc's offset is 0. Just be sure there isn't 2 1/2 lines.

8 (edited by Specialt1212 2010-04-19 04:51:02)

I thought it was 8... but when I checked the website it was actually +6 I must have overlooked it the first time :-( 

So if I understand correctly, if I have two lines of garbage then

w * 16 = x / 4 = y - 6 = z

w = Garbage Data
x = Bytes
y = Samples
z = Corrected value

So that would mean in my case of 2 lines of garbage data

2 * 16 = 32 / 4 = 8 - 6 = 2

So does that mean I should input a value of 2 in the EAC Read sample offset correction value?

9 (edited by velocity37 2010-04-19 06:14:37)

Spot on with the math.

You should put a value of 8 in EAC for the offset correction value.

+2 is the offset of the disc itself (this is a very common value). We also have to account for the offset of the drive, so we add the two together to get the "combined offset".

Let's pretend you had a drive with a negative offset, like -444. We wouldn't see garbage data in this drive, but if we figure out the combined offset with our disc offset (-444 + 2), we would know to use -442. Likewise, if you had a +667 drive, you could find large negative offsets, and figure out what to use in your SH-S223L by adding 6.

[It should be noted that combined negative offsets can give bad results in EAC, so in that case you will want to dump manually or use a tool like PerfectRip (tutorial)]

Only "bad" results for Track 02 (the first audio track) because EAC is unable to read into the data.
All other audio tracks should extract fine.

That problem also occurs for Plextor drives with their +30 offset, because the combined offset would be smaller than 0.

Though a plextor is a very good drive for dumping, I suggest into investing in another drive with a drive offset >650 and which can overread into leadout, too.