Are there any plans to create some standard to allow people to dump protected discs (such as securom)?

We already have a lot of Safedisc and SecuROM protected disc in the database. In the case of SecuROM we don't have the Data Position Measurement info in the data since that would require uploading a MDS file with that data stored in it and I think it's considered illegal to do that.

Haldrie wrote:

In the case of SecuROM we don't have the Data Position Measurement info in the data since that would require uploading a MDS file with that data stored in it and I think it's considered illegal to do that.

What's illegal in measurements?

F1ReB4LL wrote:
Haldrie wrote:

In the case of SecuROM we don't have the Data Position Measurement info in the data since that would require uploading a MDS file with that data stored in it and I think it's considered illegal to do that.

What's illegal in measurements?

I'm not sure but I've seen a few web sites that offered such files that ended up getting shut down.

5 (edited by Ree 2009-10-11 14:27:12)

OK, so that pretty much means we are never going to see dumps of, say, securom 7.x discs, right?

No we have dumps of them they just aren't much good without the MDS file or without a crack to bypass the protection. SecuROM protected discs can be dumped just like any other disc if you don't care about emulating the protection.

Haldrie wrote:

I'm not sure but I've seen a few web sites that offered such files that ended up getting shut down.

Those are measurements of the access times for different areas of the disc and don't contain any copyrighted material, so they can't be illegal. You can't be sued for measuring the speed of your car or the brightness of your TV screen.

8 (edited by Ree 2009-10-11 16:06:55)

Haldrie wrote:

No we have dumps of them they just aren't much good without the MDS file or without a crack to bypass the protection. SecuROM protected discs can be dumped just like any other disc if you don't care about emulating the protection.

Yes, those are certainly not "much good".

F1ReB4LL wrote:

Those are measurements of the access times for different areas of the disc and don't contain any copyrighted material, so they can't be illegal. You can't be sued for measuring the speed of your car or the brightness of your TV screen.

Indeed.

Wouldn't it be enough to upload checksums of the MDS file? Every dumper with access to the disc could easily make them himself, and redump.org wouldn't have to risk legal problems. On the other hand, I don't know if the MDS files are consistent, i.e. if the same disc dumped by several dumpers yields the exact same MDS file.

Nope, MDS files aren't consistent and very drive (and speed) dependant, also, you must manually fix them in most cases (by interpolating the graph, etc.)

Those games are meant NOT to be properly dumped.
At least with earlier protections we can still get consistent results and the games can be played without any sort of emulation.

The data on the disc is the same an any unprotected disc (other then the encrypted exe), it's just the placement of certain sectors that is unique and is something that cannot be replicated in a burned copy (although it can be emulated using twin sectors or RMPS).