1 (edited by layzee 2009-08-13 14:01:56)

Since we have a dumping standard that everyone uses (or should use), we are then able to differentiate between different versions of the same games with in the same region via the difference in the CRC32/MD5 values.

I doubt there would be any but I was wondering if there was any online resources that actually state the in-game differences between different versions of the same game? I'll also accept Japanese websites (preferred, since I'm mainly looking for Japan-region game info) that has relevant related info. Since Japan is very... thorough when it comes to gaming, perhaps even a published book (doubtful but eh...).

Perhaps we can even theorise on how to find out such a thing.

These differences could be anything from bug fixes ("Blue Reload/Red Reload" versions of PS2 Guilty Gear XX), gameplay tweaks (Ultimate Hits/Front Mission History PS1 versions of Front Mission 2), minor extra content (PlayStation the Best/PSOne Books PS1 versions of Akumajou Dracula X: Gekka no Yasoukyoku) and even significant bonus content/material (Greatest Hits/Platinum PS2 versions of Silent Hill 2).

I suppose regional differences might also fall under this category but these are more obvious and more well-known. I'm mainly interested in same-region same-game different-version differences.

i.e. Alundra Japan-to-USA: Added usage of shoulder buttons to bring up menus, enemies take twice as long to kill (but same difficulty).
i.e. Suikoden 2 USA-to-Europe: Fixed "McDohl" naming bug/corruption, other noticable bugs also fixed such as characters singing instead of complete silence.

and etc...

i know sony did abig PSX n PS2 Catalouge covering every release and also included info about re-releases but they didnt list any data diffrences lol

PSX'D OFF!!

minor extra content (PlayStation the Best/PSOne Books PS1 versions of Akumajou Dracula X: Gekka no Yasoukyoku)

What extra contents are those?

ssjkakaroto wrote:

minor extra content (PlayStation the Best/PSOne Books PS1 versions of Akumajou Dracula X: Gekka no Yasoukyoku)

What extra contents are those?

I haven't tested it myself but apparently these are new:

Bug fix: Richter's "Flame" Whip upgrade does holy elemental damage in the original versions (i.e. completely pointless to use). In v1.1 or v1.2 (e.g. PlayStation the Best edition) this was fixed and it now does fire elemental damage. This bug exists in every other region (USA and Europe) and version (Japanese Sega Saturn). Not sure about PSP.

Addition: In the Sega Saturn versions of the game, after you have fulfilled some basic requirements, the Sprite familiar will sing the song called "Nocturne" which I assume is track 10 from the Akumajou Dracula X Original Soundtrack.  This feature was added back to the PlayStation version (e.g. v1.1 and/or v1.2).

There might be other changes that haven't been found and documented yet.

Awesome post layzee I've wanted to find out the same information about game revisions myself but it's definitely not easy to find documentation. This type of information would be a great addition to this site since a lot of us dumpers myself included actively hunt for different revisions. It would be cool to know what's changed between each revision. Looking forward to what else you find keep us posted.  smile

6 (edited by ssjkakaroto 2009-09-14 02:21:34)

Thanks for the info layzee.

BTW, Gemini has released a English translation for v1.2 of Akumajou Dracula X, you can get it here:http://gemini.aerdan.org/forums/index.php?topic=160.0

Nice to know there is some interest in this.

Now, it has come to my attention that there are no less than four different versions of the same USA-region Metroid Prime game which dumpers of Nintendo GameCube games may be interested to know.

The following page lists the differences between the first three (as well as the other regions):
http://www.metroid2002.com/version_diff … number.php

To summarise:

• Metroid Prime (USA) (v1.0) - The original standard edition

• Metroid Prime (USA) (v1.1)

Changes: "the Arboretum Runic Gate has an invisible wall over the top of it"

• Metroid Prime (USA) (v1.2) - The Player's Choice edition

Additions: Some changes made to the PAL version were transferred to this version too.
Additions: Several unique (not existing on any other region) unspecified changes were also added.

• Metroid Prime (USA) (v1.3?) - The Metroid Prime Trilogy edition

Changes: Further unspecified changes made.

Although it is outside the scope of this topic, inter-regional (USA-to-Eur, USA-to-JPN etc...) differences are listed to the left, under the Version Differences heading.