I wonder why the gaps in discs with audio tracks are appended to the next track...
I think that a track dumped with this method will have the end of the previous track appended at the beggining of the track and i dont know if this is right because if we put a game disc or a audio disc or whatever in any cd player and play any audio track, the gap for that track is not played (it doesn't matter if that track have no gap, 2 sec gap or 1 min gap) because it belongs to the previous track...even EAC says the other method is the recommended, so why this project uses this method?

p.s. warning to all the funny guys out there: answers like "because the guide said to do so" will not be accepted lol

"Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky?"

when i rip cds with EAC i use 'append gaps to previous track', however i believe gaps are part of the track so it may effect game playback if you rip games that way. the data depends on the audiotracks being a certain way, unlike CDs which you can append gaps to the end of to prevent silence in the beginning of a track

All my posts and submission data are released into Public Domain / CC0.

EAC was made for standard audio CDs (hence why it ignores the data track) and appending the gap to the previous track actually causes it to generate an invalid multi file cuesheet. Appending gaps to the next track is a more valid method since not only do you get a valid multi file cuesheet but this is also how CDRWin and other programs that use cuesheets and consider track gaps make their cuesheets. Also the location of the gaps is marked in the cuesheets as INDEX 00 which all players skip over and go straight to INDEX 01 when you skip to that track which will be right after the gap.

Pregap belongs to the next track according to the sub and Red Book standards.

F1ReB4LL wrote:

Pregap belongs to the next track according to the sub and Red Book standards.

In that case EAC's default and everyone that rips audio CDs with the default settings have it wrong.

Haldrie wrote:

In that case EAC's default and everyone that rips audio CDs with the default settings have it wrong.

you should read my post. most pre-gaps are only silence, most people dont like silence at the beginning of a song they listen to.

the emulators are going to depend on the pregap to be in a specific spot in order to properly replicate the audio experience of a game with redbook audio.

All my posts and submission data are released into Public Domain / CC0.

Maybe that's true in game discs but in audio discs there are a lot of albums (mostly techno and many concept albums) without silence between the tracks and if we only want to copy one track of that album, if we copy with appended gap to next track, that track will have a little bit of the previous track (depends on the gap size) that's why people choose the other option...
But now i think that Fireball is right... the gap is a countdown to the next track...
Thks for the answers smile

"Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky?"

Haldrie wrote:

It's not a EAC's issue, it's a general PC drives firmware issue. That's why they read the first data track and 2nd audio track's pregap together.

9 (edited by RetroGamer 2009-09-04 03:38:21)

I found a article that explains all this stuff (gaps, pregaps, indexes) and how this works in a regular cd player.

take a look, if you are interested : http://www.mail-archive.com/libcdio-dev … 00370.html

Along with subs hint F1ReB4LL pointed at, the first clue is that it's called PRE-GAP so it's quite clear is something that stands "in front of". Moreover pregap is a time gap used by cd readers to load track (that's why you don't hear it on a cd player or most of audio players), expecially in games, if you append gaps to previous track all cd toc will be damaged and in a game you'll hear quite well if a track is loaded beforehand.

My patch requests thread
--------------------------------