I don't see how the current naming is wrong.. I just didn't add 'Jewel Case' because it's pointless as far as I can see..

@BitLooter, are you sure some of these are Mode2?

Indeed I have to understand, unless it was done by Fireball (admin), why some mods delete and move also posts of other mods, like some mods are more mods than others, moreover when there's nothing strange to move or delete!?

My patch requests thread
--------------------------------

Jackal wrote:

I don't see how the current naming is wrong.. I just didn't add 'Jewel Case' because it's pointless as far as I can see..

Currently it's listed as "Special Edition" of "SimCity 2000: Special Edition", not "Special Edition" of "SimCity 2000". I don't want to see any custom "double titles" in the db (unless there are real cases with the "double" naming, doubt it). Edition should be in the "Edition" field only, never in the title (unless it's the only edition of the game, so the edition is a part of the title).

Well, it's in the edition field only because you said you wanted it there for sorting.. guess it should only be in the title then tongue (so now it's correct)

"Special Edition" isn't the only edition of this game on this platform, so you're wrong.

I think the whole problem is that we don't have an Edition (datfile) field..

And also we should specify how the version and edition should be used..

One can argue that e.g. 'Need for Speed: Special Edition' (an updated version with new tracks and cars) and Return to Castle Wolfenstein: Game of the Year Edition (updated version and extra maps) isn't the edition, but the version, because it's a new version of the game. But at the same time it's the game title on the box, so why shouldn't it be in the title field instead?

If you really want to be strict about what belongs in which field then maybe it's best if the version field gets only the version number (e.g. v1.31) or (in some cases) volume serial number, the edition (datfile) field as a solution gets the additional edition text of the title, but not between brackets at the end but as a subtitle of the original game title: add 'Special Edition' in the edition (datfile) and the filename becomes 'Title: Special Edition'. Then finally, the title field should only contain the original game title. This way all elements are in the correct fields, but the filename is still logical (with the complete title in its original context).

I agree, as I said a lot of times, that if we have for example:

Game 1
Game 1: Special Edition

which are different games (for example: Special Edition has 1 bonus course), "Special Edition" should go in title and edition for this game is "Original". If the game is the same of "Original" with no bonus or else "Special Edition" is the edition and nothing has to be added to title unless games differ but in this case DB wants this in "datfile" tag (by the way this doesn't match no-intro tags syncro).

My patch requests thread
--------------------------------

Should be treated by ingame title, I doubt SimCity 2000: Special Edition have a different title inside (game + extra tools). Need for Speed SE have the different ingame title - http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/n … otId,3324/ - so it's not an edition.

34 (edited by BitLooter 2009-08-04 01:49:03)

Jackal wrote:

'Jewel Case' is important because the jewel case version of the disc is different from the boxed version of it - the inclusion of a PDF manual, for example.

@BitLooter, are you sure some of these are Mode2?

I did the same thing for these as I do for every single-data-track CD. I used Isobuster to rip the track, do the same thing on another computer, and make sure they're identical. I rip it by extracting it as raw, which I was under the impression was the same as treating it as Mode 2/2352. For the cuesheet, I use this generic one:
FILE "TRACK 01.BIN" BINARY
  TRACK 01 MODE2/2352
    INDEX 01 00:00:00

This was given to me by someone in IRC a long time ago (I don't remember who) that told me to use this generic sheet for single-track CD rips. Should I not be using this? And if not, what should I use? I was led to believe that all data tracks are ripped and handled the same way, is this not true?

BTW, this is something that's always bothered me about the dumping guide; it doesn't really handle this issue very well. It states that you only need to include a cuesheet for games with audio tracks, which isn't true. This confused me at first, because the form refused to accept a disc without a cuesheet, and that's when I was told to use that generic one. If it's true that all single-data-track discs are handled the same way, it would make more sense to have a checkbox on the form you can use to indicate there's only one track. And if it's not true, someone needs to update the guide to say what to do for those discs.

F1ReB4LL wrote:

Should be treated by ingame title, I doubt SimCity 2000: Special Edition have a different title inside (game + extra tools).

It doesn't, I checked. My feelings on the title is that it should be named (regions aside) SimCity 2000 (Special Edition) (Jewel Case). My reasoning for this:

The most important part of the filename is the name of the game. This defines the most important aspect of the disc, namely what it is. Everything else is metadata. Then comes the edition field. This should be used for when the game contains distinct content from other releases of the game - usually additional content, but it could be applied if something was removed for some reason. In this example, the 'special edition' contains an editor, user-created cities, a making-of video, and other stuff not found in the original SimCity 2000. Now, it's possible there may be some variances within the same edition; that's what the next field is for. This disc has a PDF manual that the original doesn't, making it different from the standard Special Edition disc. However, the manual isn't really new content - it was included with the original SE too, but it was in dead-tree rather than digital format. This means it's not enough to earn a new edition, but it is distinct from the first edition and needs to be labeled somehow.

Of course, this ignores other metadata such as regions and disc labels, but I'm ignoring those for the sake of discussion. I can't see any flaws with this scheme, but I'd like to know if there are any.

Hi BitLooter.
You have to check if the discs are in Mode1 or Mode2 in PC dumps because it's important info.
To check this you don't need to extract the disc again. You could check the post 2 of this topic http://forum.redump.org/topic/4695/new- … c-6-dumps/ or go to isobuster and select the data track with the RMB and then select properties then advanced.

"Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky?"

Well, crap. Now I'm kind of ticked off - no one ever told me I need to check this sort of thing, the guide doesn't say a damn thing about this, and someone gave me bad information back when I was trying to learn how to do all this. Gahh, now I have to check all my dumps again and correct the ones with wrong info... >:-(  Well, at least I don't need to dig up the physical discs again. Guess I'll have to chalk this up to a learning experience.

I bet most of your PC dumps are mode1/2352, if not all.  I just checked "Slam Tilt Pinball" as a test and it is indeed a mode1/2352.  Good thing Jackal found this now, instead of later when you'd probably have lots more PC dumps. big_smile

38 (edited by RetroGamer 2009-08-04 03:28:37)

I suggested some time ago that the correct mode in BitLooter pc dumps should be rechecked ( http://forum.redump.org/topic/4741/adde … -pc-dumps/ ) but no one listens to what i say  lol

and if you don't want to dig the discs again i think you could check the image for the correct mode with CDmage...

"Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky?"