I have two discs ripped and ready to upload, but I want to find out what to call the editions first. These are both $10 jewel-case-only releases.

Here's pictures of the front and back:
http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/3998/discsfront.jpg
http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/7848/discsback.jpg

I couldn't say if SimCity is any different from the original retail release, but Slam Tilt is by a totally different publish from the original, complete with their own custom installer software. I imagine it could be labeled (Expert Software) or something for the edition, but I don't really know what to call SimCity.

Any thoughts on this?

^^ Pinball
I would say: "Expert Software" as adition and <volume serial> as version in dat version field !

PX-760A (+30), PX-W4824TA (+98), GSA-H42L (+667), GDR-8164B (+102), SH-D162D (+6), SOHD-167T (+12)

Just name SimCity original edition..

Isn't SimCity a "special Edition" (?)

I can not recognize the whole package includes,
but there is printed SPECIAL EDITION includes: SimCity 2000, ..., ...

PX-760A (+30), PX-W4824TA (+98), GSA-H42L (+667), GDR-8164B (+102), SH-D162D (+6), SOHD-167T (+12)

I think the title should be 'SimCity 2000 Special Edition' with original edition, because it's clearly a different game and it's not just the packaging.. Wikipedia etc. also give it that name.

Agree... smile

EDIT:

lol, if i look at the back cover it clearly says: "SimCity 2000: Special Edition"

includes:
- SimCity 2000
- SimCity 2000: Urban Renewal Kit
- SimCity 2000 Scenarios Volume 1: Great Disasters

tongue

Well, then it's with the ':' included tongue

So I should use:

Slam Tilt (Expert Software)
SimCity 2000: Special Edition (Original)

And should I really use the volume serial for the pinball version? The readme on the disc clearly states the software version is 1.0.

For the record, I can't find a version for the SimCity anywhere. And examining the game and installer shows no indication of anything obviously different about the disc from earlier releases, unlike the pinball game. It does contain contain a PDF manual; the manual is clearly a digitized version of a printed manual, so it's possible an earlier release in a real box may have had an actual, printed manual rather then putting it on the disc.

9 (edited by DJoneK 2009-08-01 01:04:08)

I think at least the (Original) tag is ommited until a different version is dumped.  Not sure about the (Expert Software) one though since it may seem weird to not have that tag, implying it's the original.  Kind of like the many (v1.1) I've seen even when there aren't any (v1.0) dumped yet.

And the SimCity 2000 one, the picture you showed, says "Special Edition" in it and seems like it includes a few extras.
This is the original SimCity 2000 release
You may already know this of course. smile

Of course. When I talk about earlier releases, I'm talking about releases of the special edition. As you can see by this image, the special edition was earlier sold as a full boxed game.

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/ciu/d6/03/59fc4310fca0c4dc214f7010.L.jpg

BitLooter wrote:

So I should use:

Why not SimCity 2000 (Special Edition)? I.e. "Special Edition" in "Edition" field? I don't think this game has "Special Edition" on the title screen...

F1ReB4LL wrote:
BitLooter wrote:

So I should use:

Why not SimCity 2000 (Special Edition)? I.e. "Special Edition" in "Edition" field? I don't think this game has "Special Edition" on the title screen...

There's not a single 'Special Edition' between brackets in any dat, so it's better if you first check such things before posting useless suggestions again tongue

Same for (Original), I wasn't talking about the filenames.

And don't forget, that we have a totally different database with its own fields. What's looking good in No-Intro's dats is screwing our database and vice-versa. Also, I don't remember any special/limited/whatever editions on the carts, so the convention should be at least modified.

I took a closer look at SC2k and found many files, including the PDF manual, dated around early 1998. The game's special edition was released (as best as I can tell) late 1995-early 1996. Therefore, I believe this disc to be different from the original boxed version, earning its own release designation. So now I'm thinking it should be labeled:

SimCity 2000: Special Edition (Jewel Case) or
SimCity 2000 (Special Edition Jewel Case)

Or is there a better word for "Jewel Case" I should use instead?

just add the game, we will find a solution wink

Will do. This thread was helpful in me making up my mind how I would do it, at any rate. I'll just use my best judgment and hope for the best.

BitLooter wrote:

I took a closer look at SC2k and found many files, including the PDF manual, dated around early 1998. The game's special edition was released (as best as I can tell) late 1995-early 1996. Therefore, I believe this disc to be different from the original boxed version, earning its own release designation. So now I'm thinking it should be labeled:

SimCity 2000: Special Edition (Jewel Case) or
SimCity 2000 (Special Edition Jewel Case)

Or is there a better word for "Jewel Case" I should use instead?

Title: SimCity 2000
Edition: Special Edition - Jewel Case

it could be:
SimCity 2000 (Special Edition) (Jewel Case)
with 'Jewel Case' in Additional
with both those flags being managed automatically for .dat output,
i.e. becoming visible or invisible depending on presence and state of other records
(e.g. in case ther's other 'SimCity 2000', (Special Edition) would become visible,
in case ther's other (Special Edition), also (Jewel Case) would be shown)
would there be no-intro implemented with addition of separate 'edition' field
also this record would resolve the same way
and those would too:
http://redump.org/disc/4501/
http://redump.org/disc/4496/
http://redump.org/disc/4504/
http://redump.org/disc/4498/
http://redump.org/disc/4499/
this is one of those things i wanted to talk about, once Dremora is back

I've just submitted them to the database. I decided to go with Special Edition - Jewel Case as F1ReB4LL suggested, although I kind of like (Special Edition) (Jewel Case). I don't really like the idea of this sort of information being dependent on other discs in the database, though. I can see it causing all kind of confusion - for example, I could rip my disc and by those standards it would be named SimCity 2000. But then someone else could come along and add the original version of the game to the database, and then it would be named SimCity 2000, while mine gets renamed SimCity 2000 (Special Edition). Clearly there's a difference between the discs, or else mine wouldn't get renamed; why shouldn't the name reflect the contents of the disc fully to begin with? IMO, that's just shortsighted and poor planning.

yes i completely agree with you, BitLooter, but, as i understand it, most of the staff don't want it that way
because it's too long, or too TOSEC, or something
in no-intro flags are shown to break appart records, at least that's how i understand it, so it could be compromise

WTF again? What's that SimCity 2000: Special Edition with Edition: Special Edition? People, we're not a set of dats, like No-Intro, we're a DATABASE, which has its own fields, which should be properly filled for each entry and dat generation here is a secondary feature. If you don't like the naming in the dats - talk to Dremora or write your own generator or make/fix the dats manually and host them somewhere, but don't even dare to tweak the DB fields to match your f@#$ing dats! I've already tired of massive renamings by themabus and Jackal, which clearly look to me like acts of sabotage in order to screw the database. Guess, we'll be forced to harshly reduce the number of mods soon.

lol, F1ReB4LL, you top yourself with this one,
can you read like at all, or perhaps you simply lack basic understanding of things?

well yes, guees what, you have to actually do something, make those fields, update code - do something
bragging on 1st page about no-intro being implementet won't make it happen

themabus wrote:

lol, F1ReB4LL, you top yourself with this one,

So it's funny for you?

themabus wrote:

can you read like at all, or perhaps you simply lack basic understanding of things?

orly? Your mass renamings to "double names", confusing other people, which prefer to add similar double names into db now? So it's my fault and I can't read?

themabus wrote:

well yes, guees what, you have to actually do something, make those fields, update code - do something
bragging on 1st page about no-intro being implementet won't make it happen

I was asked to announce it, that's all. That doesn't mean I support ruining the database, which is being done by some members.

So it's funny for you?

yes, you're a funny guy, F1ReB4LL

orly? Your mass renamings to "double names", confusing other people, which prefer to add similar double names into db now? So it's my fault and I can't read?

excuse me, what?
r-e-a-d:

would there be no-intro implemented with addition of separate 'edition' field
this is one of those things i wanted to talk about, once Dremora is back

I was asked to announce it, that's all. That doesn't mean I support ruining the database, which is being done by some members.

well then maybe you should stick to anouncing stuff
when you're asked

Then explain this properly to everyone, I don't want to see such titles anymore. It's not me, who confuses everyone with the naming.