Taikenban -> Demo or Sample
Genteiban -> Limited Edition
Renka Ban -> Value or Budget
Fukyuuban -> Universal Edition?
they are cryptic and tell little imho.
and the same principle will cary on to other languages then
for example there are now those '2 Games (2 Juegos)' & '2 Games (2 Spiele)' in Spanish and German 007 respectively
which is something like a compromise as i understand it, but can't they be just '2 Games' instead?
also what about Slavic languages, like Russian?
Special Edition would become 'Kolekcionnoe Izdanie', probably; Enchanced Edition, something like: 'Dopolnennoe Izdanie'
like 90% of people won't even understand what those flags stand for
and then ther's French, Italian, Dutch, Swedish, etc.
Chinese maybe
i think it's a mess
i mean imho it would be better to always go with English for those fields.
this is not well defined in no-intro naming convention, but at least it appears that intention was such:
to have less flags but with more universal meaning

edit:
if required, translation tables could be created later then
so one could select in what language to get edition flags,
so if he is Japanese, this person would get 'Genteiban' for every Limited Edition even English or German

Astronoka Taikenban (Demo Movie) (Japan) (Demo)
would have to be other way round, i suppose, with 'Demo Movie' in 'Additional'
Astronoka Taikenban (Japan) (Demo) (Demo Movie)
but it isn't possible in current db

i moved 'Taikenban' from Version to Title for Japanese PSX set as @satakore
but i guess it's better to remove it at all, right?
except this one case, maybe
Crash Bandicoot 3 - Buttobi! Sekai Isshuu Tentou You Taikenban (Japan) (Demo)
where it would go to Additional (though again is impossible for now)
Crash Bandicoot 3 - Buttobi! Sekai Isshuu (Japan) (Demo) (Tentou You Taikenban)

themabus wrote:

I just hope Dremora is serious about writing a new site, where noone will be able to edit the entries so easy, because with such a "smart" crew, which members rename everything 10 times a month on their own without any discussions and without any logic, this project is going into f@#king nowhere. Over.

gorelord4e and ir0b0t also don't like your change.. I've come to a point where I don't really care what happens with filenames anymore.. but I hope you can collaborate why it's a version and not an edition..

Nope i dont like this change at all.. I agree that Taikenban is demo therefor it should be (Demo) but nothing more than that.. thats my 2 cents atleast.. A discussion about this would have been great btw..

Lite-On SOHD-167T, NEC CDR-1901A, Plextor PX-712A, PX-716A, PX-760SA, Samsung TSSTCorp SH-D162D.
:: www.rawdump.net :: 2448 byte CD Preservation ::

F1ReB4LL wrote:
themabus wrote:

I just hope Dremora is serious about writing a new site, where noone will be able to edit the entries so easy, because with such a "smart" crew, which members rename everything 10 times a month on their own without any discussions and without any logic, this project is going into f@#king nowhere. Over.

I quote this at 100%.

My patch requests thread
--------------------------------

F1ReB4LL wrote:

i certainly hope so, mr. Neon Genesis aka. 'we have to redump everything'

'without any discussions' so since you're unable to contribute to discussion within an week
one so important to you, btw, you're all pissed now
i presume you require personal invitation or something to grant your audience,
is that right F1ReB4LL?

also, absence of any guides regarding naming at all
and nothing really being done, except anouncment posted after 5 months of 'careful considerations'
somewhat contributes to this situation, don't you think, Administrator?

Posted by F1ReB4LL at July 5 2009, 20:39:27 wrote:

Like it or hate it - we've switched the naming to No-Intro's convention.

Comments from staff:

After careful considerations and several votings we've decided to change to the No-Intro naming convention. No-Intro has promised to come with a new version of their convention soon, so chances are that this will lead to some more changes. If you find any issues with the current naming or have any suggestions/corrections/additions, please post them in the forum.

though you forgot to mention it's that 'squeeze it all in one field' (inappropriate field, may i add) kind of no-intro

Jackal wrote:

gorelord4e and ir0b0t also don't like your change.. I've come to a point where I don't really care what happens with filenames anymore.. but I hope you can collaborate why it's a version and not an edition..

it's not an version it's an stand alone flag, by the look of it - was version before, i've changed that.

The Official No-Intro Convention 2007-10-30 wrote:

3.6 Development and/or Commercial Status
Optional
Those flags are added to games that are not classical commercial releases.
It is applicable for (but not limited to) unfinished games, promotional games,
prize games, limited editions.
Examples:
• The flag (Beta) is added to games that are unfinished but have a final
release.
• The flag (Proto) is added to games that are unfinished but don’t have a final
release.
• The flag (Sample) is added to samples, demos, instore demos, etc.
If more than one (Beta) is available an incremented number will be added
(Beta1), (Beta2), etc. If determinable the oldest Beta gets the lowest number.
Same with Protos and Samples.

The Official No-Intro Convention 2007-10-30 wrote:

3.5 Version
Optional
This flag shows the version (vX.XX) or revision (Rev X) of the game. It is put in
parentheses. Revision is used instead of version when applicable. Numbers
and/or letters can be used depending on the system or program approach.
The flag is only added if the version/revision is greater than the initial release.
Source is usually ROM header or cartridge stamps.

^^^this is only thing that should go version

(Demo), not (whatever-ban) bacause it is an flag - that's how it works, like (Unl) or (Promo) or (Beta)
it should ease things not obfuscate
having this flag endlessly customizable defeats purpose of having one
then as well this part could go to title, like on satakore <- that's what i've done
but since there is (Demo) flag now in that place, it is unneccessary, so that was my mistake

gorelord4e wrote:

Nope i dont like this change at all.. I agree that Taikenban is demo therefor it should be (Demo) but nothing more than that.. thats my 2 cents atleast.. A discussion about this would have been great btw..

only constructive comment so far - 1st in a week, thank you very much gorelord4e

i do agree 'Taikenban' shouldn't be visible in .dat at all
it could be moved to 'Edition' or in other words 'Additional' flag
but what will happen - it will disappear - the same as with 'Original',
because as (Japan) = Original; (Japan)+(Demo) = Taikenban - it's redundant
so .dat output will be the same as if when removing it at all
and this will put more stress on coding part
as generic entries, those that should not appear in .dat, would have to be updated constantly
is this neccessary - i don't know - more opinions are welcome

so how this should work, as i see it:
1. every record with  'Category' 'Demo' gets (Demo) flag in .dat automatically (should there be category - isn't in no-intro)
2. those with custom description (different from Demo or Taikenban, etc. in other languages)
get it in Additional flag and output to .dat

so let's remove them from title for now and enjoy weekend, can everyone agree on that?

Yeah.. I agree.. if you remove Taikenban from the title, then I think we're all happy. I guess you can put Taikenban either in the normal Version field? and Demo in the version (datfile) field. Or you can put it in the Edition field and allow sorting (and also make F1ReB4LL happy).

About reaching F1ReB4LL: he's on IRC every day, and so are most of the other mods, so if you want to discuss anything then that's the best place.

Demo, Taikenban, Sampleban, Sample, Promo, Hibaihin, Not For Sale, Shikyouhin, Mihonhin/Mihon Hin, etc. should be in Edition. You can name it Sample, Demo or whatever in the dats, it's not that critical.

themabus wrote:

'without any discussions' so since you're unable to contribute to discussion within an week
one so important to you, btw, you're all pissed now
i presume you require personal invitation or something to grant your audience,
is that right F1ReB4LL?

http://forum.redump.org/post/13076/#p13076 -- I've told everything already almost a year ago.

Also, I've meant not only you, I can name at least 3 mods, who like to rename on their own without any discussions.

themabus wrote:

This flag shows the version (vX.XX) or revision (Rev X) of the game. It is put in
parentheses. Revision is used instead of version when applicable. Numbers
and/or letters can be used depending on the system or program approach.
The flag is only added if the version/revision is greater than the initial release.
Source is usually ROM header or cartridge stamps.

As I've said already, at least Japanese Saturn, Sega CD and 3DO discs have the revisions in their ringcodes, so we can switch to it (we can enter both version and revision into Version field for Saturn CDs, but only revision into Version (datfile) field for the dats).

Jackal wrote:

About reaching F1ReB4LL: he's on IRC every day, and so are most of the other mods, so if you want to discuss anything then that's the best place.

You can always PM me before such a massive renamings.

ok thank you very much, i'll keep that in mind
every Taikenban i moved to to the title is now in 'Edition' field